U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,172,167 times

Advertisements

Did you guys just miss the last 10 years? Here are some of the big things that happened:

The 2000 election
The Dot-Com Bubble Burst
9/11
The Afghanistan War
The Iraq War
Abu Ghraib
GITMO
The rise AND fall of Dubai
The rise of China to near super power status
Hurricane Katrina and the near destruction of New Orleans
The election of Barack Obama
The Indian Ocean Tsunami
Globalization of the service industry
The DC Sniper
The VT Massacre
The Madrid, London, Bali and Mumbai Bombings (all of which had huge political consequences)
The Mars rover landings
The Columbia Tragedy
SpaceShipOne
The Death of Analog Television
Multi-Core Processors
Fidel Castro's retirement
The current "recession" (nothing like it since the Great Depression)
The solidification of the 24 hour news cycle
Ubiquitous Cell Phone usage (I'm sure some of you guys have never even used a pay phone)
Ubiquitous high speed and wireless broadband access in the United States (no small thing, try using this or any site on 56k)
Ubiquitous world wide communications anywhere
Mega Online Communities

This isn't everything, but as you can see this decade has probably been the most life altering in recent memory. While it is true the seeds for this decade were sown in the 90s and the preceding year/decades, those things that did not originate in the 00s came to fruition in the 00s. You have to have a sense of history to see it all in context though.

Just imagine going back in time to 1999 and telling your mirror self about 9/11, Katrina, the wars, the economic crisis, and the fact that we have a black president and you'd probably laugh at yourself or take yourself to the funny farm.

I think that when we look back on this decade years from now we will say that these were the times, in the words of Hunter H. Thompson, when we saw where the high-watermark finally break. The only equal decades in American history to the 2000s in terms of the profound political, economic and social change are the 1770s, 1830s, 1860s, 1890s, and the 1920 through the 1970s. The 1980s and 90s were a cake walk for the most part historically.

The world that was in the 2000s will shape the rest of the century. It will be a long time before most of us realize that however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,973,253 times
I do think calling this decade "bland" was one of the oddest things I'd heard online. The 2000s were many things, but not "bland" or "an extension of the 90s."

Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,707,851 times
Very, very things have actually changed my life to any material degree. Cellphones weren't even available for purchase when I was born; I'm still quite young, and really... hasn't changed much of anything. Not when one stops to think about it.

New tech and trends allow us to color in the lines of things we would have already done anyways.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:33 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,303,170 times
I think a lot has changed this decade, more than other decades.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,123,398 times
I am also confused by those who say the 2000s were dull. Technologically we have come a LONG way since 2000.

- It was about 20 years ago when you had to get up and turn a knob to change the channel on the TV to preset channels and move the antennas around for a good 5 minutes.

- Less than 20 years when many people still had rotary phones

- About less than 15 years ago when people had cell phones that were too large to fit in their pockets

- Less than 15 years ago when people actually HAD to rely on paper maps

- Less than 15 years ago when you could buy new cars that just had a cassette player

- Less than 15 years ago when the phrase "look it up in the dictionary" actually meant pulling out a book.

Just in the past 3 years we have seen the advent of YouTube, allowing people to watch nearly any piece of video that was ever made. You can watch nearly any music video that you ever want, listen to ordinary people talk about almost any subject, and has allowed quite a few people to become famous

Wikipedia also became popular in the very recent past, allowing you to find out information about ANYTHING. If I wanted to know the history of concrete, Wikipedia would give me a nice explanation about that in less than a second.

Flat screen TVs and HDTV has greatly enhanced the TV watching experience from the days with blurry colors and snowy pictures.

Wii has encouraged even the laziest people to become active.

Additionally, text messaging, wireless internet, Google and all its programs (Google Maps, Gmail, Google Docs, etc.) have made accessibility to information that much easier.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:46 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
1. The globalization of everything. Just throw "global" in front of everything to make it sound like it needs immediate attention so we can get you to give up your freedom (and your wealth), your sovereignty and take over your life.

2. The War on Obesity, Elderly People, Religion, Nationalism and Tolerance of Diversity of Opinion although I think the next decade is going to be worse so maybe we should table this one until 2019.

3. The decade of rights as in "we don't need no stinkin' Constitution, we'll just declare it a right if we want it."

4. The decade of snitching, declared out by rappers, desired by cops in sanctuary cities and encouraged by the Obama White House as in flag at whitehouse.gov.

5. The decade of reports and bills most of the Congress didn't read before they voted on them so they could play dumb about the content. Goes all the way back to voting to go to war with Iraq through Obamacare.

6. The decade of social justice as in laws, who needs laws? We just see those as annoying suggestions.

7. The decade of living with mommy and/or daddy until well into adulthood.

8. The decade of teens putting out naked and/or sexually explicit photos of themselves and saying slutty things without caring how it might impact their potential future employment or others' opinion of them.

9. Kindle

10. The decade of female teacher sexual predators getting away with statutory rape that wouldn't be tolerated from male teachers, and the union that stands by them.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,758,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1. The globalization of everything. Just throw "global" in front of everything to make it sound like it needs immediate attention so we can get you to give up your freedom (and your wealth), your sovereignty and take over your life.

2. The War on Obesity, Elderly People, Religion, Nationalism and Tolerance of Diversity of Opinion although I think the next decade is going to be worse so maybe we should table this one until 2019.

3. The decade of rights as in "we don't need no stinkin' Constitution, we'll just declare it a right if we want it."

4. The decade of snitching, declared out by rappers, desired by cops in sanctuary cities and encouraged by the Obama White House as in flag at whitehouse.gov.

5. The decade of reports and bills most of the Congress didn't read before they voted on them so they could play dumb about the content. Goes all the way back to voting to go to war with Iraq through Obamacare.

6. The decade of social justice as in laws, who needs laws? We just see those as annoying suggestions.

7. The decade of living with mommy and/or daddy until well into adulthood.

8. The decade of teens putting out naked and/or sexually explicit photos of themselves and saying slutty things without caring how it might impact their potential future employment or others' opinion of them.

9. Kindle

10. The decade of female teacher sexual predators getting away with statutory rape that wouldn't be tolerated from male teachers, and the union that stands by them.
Agree totally!

The technology is better now, but that is about it

Old 12-23-2009, 10:19 AM

305 posts, read 364,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
hrrm... most or a lot of that sounds like 90s stuff or even earlier to me.. can't say i really use any of the other stuff... guess its going at a fairly untech savvy crowd...

airports are more of a hassle now though for sure.

blog..90s
cable..80s
digital camera ..90s
cell phones...80s
going green umm 70s.
gps 90s..
fat? ummm that was 80/s90s ... 00's were about the low carbs
ipods (mp3) 90s..
netflix 90s
starbucks 90s
tv screens 80s
I don't think you understand what there saying. Sure, those things were around, but they were not nearly as mainstream or apart of our daily lives as they became this decade. Going green in the 70s? Sure, maybe a little. But it had been dead since then. Now its a whole different ball game. Here in Mpls, most of the buses now all say "GO GREENER" on the side in huge letters. Its not just hippies now. Ipods? No. Netflix? No. All things of this decade. TV SCREENS? Are you kidding? Plasma screens in the 80s? Is that a joke?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 AM

305 posts, read 364,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
The thing is, this decade doesn't really have an identity. It's really just an offshoot of the late 1990s, only with slightly better technology.

One day, I'm gonna look back and say "The '00s were so...bland".
Rookie Mistake. You say that now, but only cause were still in the decade, lol.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:28 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,369,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The decade is coming to an end, here are the 50 things that changed our lives in the 00's:

50 Things That Changed Our Lives In The '00s - Entertainment News Story - WESH Orlando (http://www.wesh.com/entertainment/22030182/detail.html - broken link)
I think the person that wrote this was a moron.

First of all, even though *APP*le had the word APP in it's advertisement, doesn't mean that there is any connection. APP is short for Application. DUH

I don't think the plural of Blackberry is Blackberries. You do not eat blackberrys, so thinking that they should be spelled the same as food is stupid. You don't say donkies or Monkies do you? Of course not.

How could you possibly have an article with this title and not mention September 11, 2001? What, in the past 10 years has changed our life MORE drastically and conclusively than that incident?

drivel

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or