U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to move for 27 year old with no job not alot of $$ and a dog(who has health problems)?
Portland(OR) 15 35.71%
Denver 17 40.48%
Las Vegas 4 9.52%
Other(please recommend) 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 PM

353 posts, read 378,104 times

Advertisements

Denver is kind of a 'grown ups city.' I agree with VegasPilgrim that Denver is a much more wholesome place--but it isn't the sort of place where you can come and just hang out, drink beer, and ski. Maybe that's the media's impression--but it couldn't be farther from reality. Denver is comprised of many hard working families. A jobless single guy--no offense--might not fit in so well in the Denver metro. Portland could easily be a better fit.

With that said, VegasPilgrim again could be right, that Denver could really help you get over gambling and grow up a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM

942 posts, read 1,066,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
but are there entry level jobs, even like working in a super market or doing something where I only get like $7 an hour,, I can live on that until I find something else
Yes there is entry level jobs, and the minimum wage in oregon is $7.80 cents I believe now. Many college grads are working in Starbucks here. But yes you should be able to find a entry level job in stores, or coffe shops, those are plentiful.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 PM

48 posts, read 282,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Denver is kind of a 'grown ups city.' I agree with VegasPilgrim that Denver is a much more wholesome place--but it isn't the sort of place where you can come and just hang out, drink beer, and ski. Maybe that's the media's impression--but it couldn't be farther from reality. Denver is comprised of many hard working families. A jobless single guy--no offense--might not fit in so well in the Denver metro. Portland could easily be a better fit.

With that said, VegasPilgrim again could be right, that Denver could really help you get over gambling and grow up a little.
Well stated. Denver is 'grown up' than the other cities. MANY, many things here are for teenagers and young adults, but most of those are college students, or still live at home. Due to the popularity of Denver the home prices have increased dramatically over the past decade. I would consider living in another place for awhile and save money, and then of you are dead set on Denver you can make the move smoothly and without going into so much debt. I have never been to much of a fan of Las Vegas, but Portland is a wonderful city, and has a great atmosphere. Good luck and all the best.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldercol View Post
Well stated. Denver is 'grown up' than the other cities. MANY, many things here are for teenagers and young adults, but most of those are college students, or still live at home. Due to the popularity of Denver the home prices have increased dramatically over the past decade. I would consider living in another place for awhile and save money, and then of you are dead set on Denver you can make the move smoothly and without going into so much debt. I have never been to much of a fan of Las Vegas, but Portland is a wonderful city, and has a great atmosphere. Good luck and all the best.
Yeah. That doesn't mean it's all a bunch of old fogies running around the state. In fact, as I've mentioned before, Colorado has one of the highest birth rates in the country. There are lots and lots of kids in Colorado and Denver. But like Bouldercol said, it's mainly either kids living at home or married folks--there's not a whole lot of in between there. Portland does. I would probably direct you that way.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 PM

86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Colorado has one of the highest birth rates in the country.
You know, I'd really like to see your source on that. The source I used put Colorado at 8th (tied with New Mexico) for birth rate, and 13th for fertility rate. The birth rate is the number of births per 1000 residents, and the fertility rate is the number of births per 1000 women of childbearing age. The birth rate statistic favors a state like Colorado with a lot of young people. That is why the br in Douglas County seems so high, because there are a lot of 20-30 somethings there who are having children. Fertility rate is perhaps more accurate, showing the number of births per women of childbearing age. In other words, how many women who can have kids do have them.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-21-2007 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You know, I'd really like to see your source on that. The source I used put Colorado at 8th (tied with New Mexico) for birth rate, and 13th for fertility rate. The birth rate is the number of births per 1000 residents, and the fertility rate is the number of births per 1000 women of childbearing age. The birth rate statistic favors a state like Colorado with a lot of young people. That is why the br in Douglas County seems so high, because there are a lot of 20-30 somethings there who are having children. Fertility rate is perhaps more accurate, showing the number of births per women of childbearing age. In other words, how many women who can have kids do have them.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763849.html
Yep. Colorado has the eight highest birth rate. New numbers came out for 2006 and I think Colorado increased a bit. And it isn't the young population so much as the family-focus of Colorado that gives Colorado such a large kid population. Whether it's birth or fertility rate--Colroado is in the upper tier of the states with the highest birth/fertility rates (Utah, Texas, Nevada, Arizona, etc.) It's a phenomenon sweeping family-oriented states like Utah, Colorado, and Texas...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/07/op...fe6d2e&ei=5090

Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 PM

86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Actually, I recounted and Colorado's birth rate is 10th. The states ahead of CO are, in alphabetical order: Alaska, Arizona, California, Georgia, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas and Utah. States with higher fertility rates (more births to women of childbearing age) are the above plus Hawaii, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma and South Dakota.

And yes it is the young population that raises the birth rate (# of births per 1000 people). In a communtiy where most adults are say, 25-40,such as some of the new neighborhoods in Erie, CO, there will be more births per 1000 people than in a neighborhood where the adults are less concentrated in the young ages. The fertility rate on the other hand refers to births per 1000 women of childbearing age. So the women of childbearing age in Erie could have the same fertility rate (have the same # of kids) as the women in the second neighborhood, but the birth rate in Erie would be higher. Colorado is nowhere near the top in either category. The link you provided was to an opinion piece, not a factual analysis.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 AM

25 posts, read 79,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needaplace View Post
I am stuck on where to live, I am a 27 year old with a dog and no job

I dont like the heat, but I kind of like gambling,, and I really need a job

I am currently in Vegas now, but my lease is up next week and not sure where to go

And I narrowed my places down to Portland, Denver or staying here in Vegas, but if someone has any other recommendations id appreciate it,, I dont really want to live in a bad area,, a decent quiet area with jobs available would be good(that doesnt cost an arm and a leg for rent)

Portland is VERY expensive. I'd try to find a small town within distance of a larger city if I were you. Eastern Missouri, central Oklahoma, etc.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 AM

942 posts, read 1,066,298 times
Portland is very expensive, and taking the transit thru much of this city can make your hair turn gray. Not all of Portland is the West Hills and big money, some rough neighborhoods here for such a small big city. I would go with the above post and find somewhere cheaper and easier on you and visit here when you can and take a real good look at it, and then its easier to make a decision about whether or not you want to live here or anyplace. I firmly believe taking a number of visits before you move anywhere anymore. I had to learn from my mistakes, because I have done it.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM

207 posts, read 935,937 times
wow Portland is Expensive? From the things I look I could get a decent apartment for about $550-600 , I am paying $630 for an Apartment in Vegas in a lousy area and where I am originally from Long Island a decent apartment cost about $1,300 a month(I was living in oversized closets in peoples homes that cost about $700 a month)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or