U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best place to move for 27 year old with no job not alot of $$ and a dog(who has health problems)?
Portland(OR) 15 35.71%
Denver 17 40.48%
Las Vegas 4 9.52%
Other(please recommend) 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 09:09 PM

942 posts, read 1,069,229 times

Advertisements

You need to be real careful where you rent an apt in this town for $550, maybe a income restricted housing type setting, and there is trouble in most of them. Really I don't know where that $550 place is, probably on the east side or North side, or southeast, and there is not much more of Portland after those areas. Im not trying to be funny with you, I just hate to see someone rent something in areas that are not safe, and there are plenty of them. You also have to consider what kind of parking are they offering and if you are paying for it, or what is the situation with that. This town wants you on the train and limits parking spaces at apts in many places. Just be careful when renting in cities you are not familiar with. Im getting to the point the cities are just not safe unless someone can pay a huge rent payment and live in a secured highrise. Do alot of research, don't just go by price in a area. Try Vancouver, Wash right across the river, $550 even there doesnt get much, but it might be a little safer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:03 AM

207 posts, read 936,407 times
really? there are areas that arent safe? Everything I hear about Portland says there arent any bad areas

Old 05-23-2007, 08:05 AM

353 posts, read 379,244 times
I found Portland quite safe. There are lots of homeless kids downtown--but they're generally harmless...if obnoxious. North Portland is more ethnic, more poor, and a little less safe but even then it's quite safe. I think just about anywhere you settle in PDX you should be fine. I recommend either some of the east suburb or just west or south of downtown.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 AM

942 posts, read 1,069,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
I found Portland quite safe. There are lots of homeless kids downtown--but they're generally harmless...if obnoxious. North Portland is more ethnic, more poor, and a little less safe but even then it's quite safe. I think just about anywhere you settle in PDX you should be fine. I recommend either some of the east suburb or just west or south of downtown.
Let me give everyone a little clue as to how safe Portland is. Portland is oblivious to its problems because it chooses to be that way. The light rail especially on the east side is very dangerous. Just this week, I had a bottle of soda dumped all over my head by thugs calling me white dude. This week and last week the news channels are running stories on how dangerous riding the transit is, We had gang problems here in the 90's on the transit,and it is back in force again. Portland looks very clean and very nice, but it does have a lot of hidden problems that can get one hurt simply because the standard statement is. Portland is a very safe city. I won't ride the train anymore especially after the police told me how many people have guns on the trains, both gang types and people that got a permit to carry one.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:28 PM

353 posts, read 379,244 times
That's because you have too many jobless hippies who are either drunk or stoned or both. Thankfully, they relegate themselves to the Light Rail and parts of downtown. Avoid those parts and you'll be fine.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM

5,374 posts, read 12,995,265 times
I find Portland a breath of fresh air compared to most large U.S. cities. Nice, clean, walkable with excellent public transportation. Some thug can dump soda on your head in any city lol. I find Portland the bargin city in the pnw. I don't find it to be that expensive. Not cheap but not that expensive either. Plus you have the pacific ocean areas a short drive away, and they are truely spectacular. Weatherwise I'll take Portland. Its not a perfect city but its one of my favorite U.S. cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or