U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 04:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,872,287 times

Advertisements

This is all extremely interesting to me. I already live in a down-on-it's-luck mill town, so I know what that's like. Yes, there are pockets of crime and blight here and there, but you get to know which sections to avoid, and you just have to be aware. But there is also a certain charm living in an old mill town to me - a town that offers a kind of "ghostly glimpse" of what small town American life used to be. I think I like it because it ISN'T so "perfect". I lived in Montana where there was little crime, no abandoned factories, and pristine views everywhere, but it was bland to me.

I grew up in cookie-cutter suburbia - the quirkiness of an old mill town appeals to me. It's just hard to make a living in one. In our downtown, we have huge old grand houses on one street, go one street over and find Section 8 housing and drug violence. Drive just ten miles or so out of town and you're in the country. I'd like to find a similar place "up north" where the winters are longer, and the summer is short and more tolerable. I will start researching more based on all the wonderful information here. Thanks so much Irfox and everyone else for taking the time to respond. Reps to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 04:56 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
This is all extremely interesting to me. I already live in a down-on-it's-luck mill town, so I know what that's like. Yes, there are pockets of crime and blight here and there, but you get to know which sections to avoid, and you just have to be aware. But there is also a certain charm living in an old mill town to me - a town that offers a kind of "ghostly glimpse" of what small town American life used to be. I think I like it because it ISN'T so "perfect". I lived in Montana where there was little crime, no abandoned factories, and pristine views everywhere, but it was bland to me.

I grew up in cookie-cutter suburbia - the quirkiness of an old mill town appeals to me. It's just hard to make a living in one. In our downtown, we have huge old grand houses on one street, go one street over and find Section 8 housing and drug violence. Drive just ten miles or so out of town and you're in the country. I'd like to find a similar place "up north" where the winters are longer, and the summer is short and more tolerable. I will start researching more based on all the wonderful information here. Thanks so much Irfox and everyone else for taking the time to respond. Reps to all.
If that is what you are looking for, then you might like places like Watertown, Fulton, Auburn, Seneca Falls and many other Upstate NY cities and towns, minus the crime for the most part. I know that communities like Cohoes, Watervliet, Rensselaer, Amsterdam, Gloversville, Johnstown, Lackawanna, Dunkirk and Carthage, among others, were or to some degree still are mill towns.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, ckhthankgod!

A good friend of mine at work down here is from Upstate New York. She talks about moving back there - says it's beautiful and the summers are nice, short but nice. That's what I'm looking for.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, ckhthankgod!

A good friend of mine at work down here is from Upstate New York. She talks about moving back there - says it's beautiful and the summers are nice, short but nice. That's what I'm looking for.
Yeah, I think you might like it. Fall is the best season around here and the beauty is turned up a notch because of the hills and the various colors in the fall foliage. Where in Upstate NY is she from, btw?

Old 12-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Here's one of the cities I mentioned: City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY Watch the Revitalization video, as it sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:06 PM

My friend is from the Western side of the state I guess - Olean, New York?

Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
My friend is from the Western side of the state I guess - Olean, New York?
Yup, this it: City Of Olean

Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 AM

261 posts, read 377,336 times
Although there are places on the out skirts of Amsterdam, downtown area is in rough shape, and change so much from when I grew up there.

There are so many wonderful little towns all across America, I don't envy you for trying to find one to settle down in.

- Areas just outside of Amsterdam, NY
- Most of Vermont
- A ton of areas in Maine - even Lewiston / Auburn, L/A. It use to be a mill town, but it has seen some major changes in the last 5 years.
- New Hampshire, has many wonderful little towns as well.
- Our daughter just moved from New Bern, NC to Paris Island, and we like New Bern a lot.

- Check with area Chamber of Commerce's and ask for brochures on the area. We do this (along with online searching) when we go on vacation to areas.

Skip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.