U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 PM

12 posts, read 29,732 times

Advertisements

** Posted originally in Pa, but looking for wider response ***
Hi - I am looking to relocate from the Bethlehem, Pa area to a "New Hope of the South". For those you are familiar with the New Hope PA area, is there any city in Va, NC, SC that you think resembles New Hope, Pa.?

Things I like about New Hope:
> that unique combination of small art town with beautiful surrounding countryside
> can just hang out downtown
> other things to do in surrounding area - not an isolated pocket by itself
> I love the surrounding area- Buckingham, Solebury, Peddlers Village, etc.

Things holding me back from just moving to New Hope, Pa:
> long winters - I like the 4 seasons, but winter is too long for my tastes - want mild winter
> real estate prices

Just a couple of examples of towns I've visited:
1) Berkeley Springs, VA was touted as a nice small art town. It does have a pretty Main Street, but from what I could tell it is basically a few blocks long - that seems to be it.
2) Just got back from Roanoke, Va - loved the mountains and everyone very very friendly, but downtown felt very depressing - and not an arts town.
2) Asheville, NC - planning another visit

I am single female in early 50s (who thinks she is still 35) with golden retriever, so need pet friendly area.

All insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,560,050 times
Maybe Charlottsville VA (except it still gets a little cold) or Savanah, GA (but neither is on the outskirts of a big city the way New Hope is).

Old 12-24-2009, 07:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,560,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Maybe Charlottsville VA (except it still gets a little cold) or Savanah, GA (but neither is on the outskirts of a big city the way New Hope is).
I forgot about Laguna Beach south of Los Angeles in Orange County. It is very much like New Hope except a little more upscale and probably more expensive with a perfect, mediteranian climate. It has shops and gallerys that attract tourists and day trippers and has a large artist communuty. Instead of the river there is the ocean with a beautiful beach. It is even an hour away from a big city.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:00 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Decatur GA is an independent city just outside of Atlanta that might be worth looking into...

Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
Charleston, SC
Virginia Beach, VA

Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times
If climate is a concern, places like Berkeley Springs, Charlottesville, and Asheville aren't going to be any warmer or less snowy than New Hope. Perhaps the coastal south is a better region to focus on.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,379,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Woof View Post
** Posted originally in Pa, but looking for wider response ***
Hi - I am looking to relocate from the Bethlehem, Pa area to a "New Hope of the South". For those you are familiar with the New Hope PA area, is there any city in Va, NC, SC that you think resembles New Hope, Pa.?

Things I like about New Hope:
> that unique combination of small art town with beautiful surrounding countryside
> can just hang out downtown
> other things to do in surrounding area - not an isolated pocket by itself
> I love the surrounding area- Buckingham, Solebury, Peddlers Village, etc.

Things holding me back from just moving to New Hope, Pa:
> long winters - I like the 4 seasons, but winter is too long for my tastes - want mild winter
> real estate prices

Just a couple of examples of towns I've visited:
1) Berkeley Springs, VA was touted as a nice small art town. It does have a pretty Main Street, but from what I could tell it is basically a few blocks long - that seems to be it.
2) Just got back from Roanoke, Va - loved the mountains and everyone very very friendly, but downtown felt very depressing - and not an arts town.
2) Asheville, NC - planning another visit

I am single female in early 50s (who thinks she is still 35) with golden retriever, so need pet friendly area.

All insight would be appreciated.

I love New Hope/Lambertville and live in Philadelphia, so I know where you're coming from.

National rankings of "art destinations" from American Style magazine:
Category 3: Small Cities and Towns
(Populations under 100,000)
1. Santa Fe, N.M.
2. Asheville, N.C.
3. Corning, N.Y.
4. Charleston, S.C.
5. Sedona, Ariz.
6. Berkeley Springs, W.Va.
7. Taos, N.M.
8. Key West, Fla.
9. Burlington, Vt.
10. Boulder, Colo.
11. Carmel, Calif.
12. Laguna Beach, Calif.
13. Eureka Springs, Ark.
14. Aspen, Colo.
15. Cumberland, Md.
16. Sarasota, Fla.
17. Chapel Hill, N.C.
18. Saugatuck, Mich.
19. Naples, Fla.
20. New Hope/Lahaska, Pa.
21. Annapolis, Md.
22. Brattleboro, Vt.
23. Portsmouth, N.H.
24. Benicia, Calif.
25. Tubac, Ariz.

I'd recommend Chapel Hill, North Carolina. It has a WONDERFUL quality of life, a walkable downtown, culture/arts, a major university (the University of North Carolina), a lower cost of living than the Northeast, a milder climate, friendly people, beautiful surroundings in terms of topography and surrounding area (lots of trees), its dog friendly and close to the other amenities of the Raleigh/Durham metro area.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2ndFriday Artwalk
Chapel Hill and Orange County Visitors Bureau
Chapel Hill–Carrboro Chamber of Commerce | Community Profile

Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 AM

60 posts, read 133,354 times
I'd say Asheville. The Asheville Metro is home to over 400,000 people, so it's not like you're in the middle of nowhere. Asheville has a beautiful downtown area. When I went there in July, there were a lot of people out walking around. There are a lot of other things to do near Asheville, such as white-water rafting, hiking, and skiing in the winter, but I don't know if you'd be interested in those things.

Winters in Asheville: You can have cold days, but I'm not sure if it's as cold as Pennsylvania. Just last weekend, Asheville got a foot of snow, and some surrounding areas received as much as two feet. The average high in January is 45 and the average low is 25. The temperature can fall as low as 0F, and the record low is -17F. The record high is only 99F, so the summers aren't too bad. Usually days are comfortable, only in the upper 70s or lower 80s.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 AM

12 posts, read 29,732 times
Hi everyone - thank you for all of your input. I'm using it to refine another trip in early spring. Current list:

> Greenville, SC
> Back to Asheville for a second look
> Carrboro/Chapel Hill, NC
> and Williamsburg, Va (just because)

I have visited Charlottesville, may look at a second time.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM

23,085 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Madison, GA
Oxford, MS
Fairhope, AL
St Simons Island, GA
Franklin, TN
Highlands, NC
Beaufort, SC
Fernandina Beach, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or