Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:46 AM

139 posts, read 499,329 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there have been things done like this before, but I would like to hear more about it.

I'm from Michigan, and really haven't seen a whole lot of the U.S. But if I had to guess, I would say Michigan is pretty high in Racial divide.

I'm really not a fan as I find other races quite interesting, which is probably strengthened due to fact I've grown up in cities which are 90% white.

I know the big cities, New York, Miami offer many different races. But as far as states as a whole, which are the most and least divided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 11:50 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
How do you measure segregation?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:58 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,926,972 times
California seems to have a good amount of mixing and probably the broadest spectrum of races (Caucasian, African American, Asian American, Hispanic, even some Native American).

Texas does as well at least in the major cities. Though there are places like the RGV where it can be 90% Hispanic and there are places like East Texas and the Panhandle where it can get 90% Caucasian. But the major cities usually have a good bit of diversity.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:03 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
I would imagine it would be states in the west that have only recently had black arrivals like Nevada, Alaska, Colorado, or Arizona versus most states that have had a history of enforced segregation like Michigan or anywhere in the South or northeast. Mostly because there aren't any historically black neighborhoods in their major cities. These all have smaller but growing black populations that were not there 40 years ago. Although I think Denver is an exception but don't quote me. Although I have argued in other forums before that I think the north and midwest as a whole are more segregated NOW than the South.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 PM

139 posts, read 499,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
How do you measure segregation?
As far as here in Michigan, I know in Saginaw and Detroit there spots where a road literally divides the races. One side of the road can be 90% white, and a mile or two away on the other side of the road can be 90% black.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM

880 posts, read 2,017,503 times
Any place that has at large voting one example Islip Long Island suffolk county

Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
I'm not sure I know a way to judge this for a whole state. Michigan does have many highly segregated cities though. Hawaii and parts of the South are said to be fairly integrated.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM

160 posts, read 500,400 times
First, why does segregated equal black/white? Seems like that's a little narrow minded. Of course, if that's all you have in your area I can understand.

Also, I don't think you can get a good grasp of segregation on a large level like the state. I lived in Virginia in Hampton Roads and that's considered one of the most integrated metro areas in the country, probably because of the large military population. But then you get into the rural areas and there are communities almost 100% white or 100% african american.

That being said, I think (and this is a MASSIVE GENERALIZATION!) some of the most integrated states are in the South because those states were forced to deal with race issues that some other states didn't have to deal with. I'm not saying there are less prejudice people in the South, I'm just saying that life is more integrated in the southern states than in other places I've lived/visited.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,623,678 times
Connecticut is pretty notorious in this regard.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:56 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,319,053 times
Most likely it would be a place where there isn't a visible divide in economic class between the races (i.e. cities where the whites are mostly middle to upper class and the blacks are mostly lower class). So if you can find the statistics for median incomes and races in the household, you might figure this out.

But just from what I've seen (and that's all anybody in here can say until they show statistics), I would say California is the least segregated. There are of course exceptions (LA Riots, hello) but in general it seems like race is blurred more than other places. New York might be up there as well but I have the feeling there are more ethnic communities that stick with their own kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.