U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:32 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,525,523 times

Advertisements

Is there any place that exists that is fairly conservative (not overly) and has traditional family values but is not overly religious? Anybody...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM

12,284 posts, read 28,763,478 times
yeah, where I live - Northwest New Jersey - Morris County.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 PM

13,856 posts, read 20,215,183 times
I believe "traditional family values" tend to be associated with religion, some kind of religion, to an extent. I mean unless you mean Confucian values, Confucianism can be part of a religion but does not have to be, but I don't think any part of the US is Confucian.

The following lists cities with a high percentage of family households. Many of them are Mexican so likely liberal and religious. I find at least one that's Cuban. Cuban-Americans I don't think "score" as unusually religious, for Americans, in surveys. I also see Staten Island. It was the only borough of NYC to vote for McCain, but I don't think it's particularly religious.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h4.html

Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 PM

5,564 posts, read 12,291,766 times
Some of this will depend on what you consider "overly religious." I'll operate on the assumption that you mean that people don't make the question of one's religious practice a central part of many conversations, or define themselves by the churches they attend. I'm not sure which individual towns or cities to suggest, but a few areas have some possibilities.

First, generally it's true that a higher percentage of people claim no religious affiliation in Western states than in states east of the Rockies. Given the generally red political character of most states in the interior West, it would seem that with the possible exception of highly Mormon states like Utah and Idaho you would find conservative politics, traditional family living, and fewer highly religious people in the Rockies states.

Some upper Midwestern states seem like good possibilities for traditional living with people tending to keep their religious views more or less to themselves and not poking to a great degree into what others' beliefs are. Of course this could get tricky if you want a conservative bent in the state's political leanings, since some upper Midwestern states (Minnesota, and to some degree Wisconsin) are very blue in their statewide voting patterns. Michigan might be a good possibility if you can find a way to work around the economic difficulties there. I think you could find many friendly towns with a fairly traditional way of life there. Ohio and Indiana also seem to be states where some areas will be quite religious and others will be more mainstream, making for some good possibilities for you if you focus on the mainstream areas (which generally would be larger towns, small cities, and suburbs of most metro areas other than, possibly, blue-leaning northeastern OH and far northwestern IN in the Chicago metro).

I'm especially familiar with central Ohio, having lived there for several years. In the town where I lived, there were some fundamentalist churches, and once in a while a pamphlateer might approach you on the street insisting that the only path to salvation was membership in his church, but generally a lot of people went to mainstream churches, a fair number did not attend church regularly, and most people did not make a point of learning about others' religious beliefs, or pick their friends on that basis. I think you could find plenty of towns like that in OH or IN. You could get some help learning about specific towns on those states' boards at City Data.

I'm not personally familiar with the region, but I hear that the upper Plains states (NE, ND, SD, maybe KS but I'm not sure what the situation is there one way or the other) have large percentages of their populations attending mainstream churches, and a tendency for people to pretty much mind their own business about other people's religions. In general, in the Midwest/Plains there seem to be many areas with generally moderate views on many issues, with some traditional leanings. Most likely there are many areas in the central states where people are pretty traditional in their everyday lives, still value family and some old-fashioned small-town values, and usually view religion as a personal matter, so they more or less mind their own business about other people's beliefs.

This may surprise you, but, depending on the kind of living situation you want, you might want to look at rural areas or small towns in Northeastern states. There is still some small-town traditional kind of everyday living in much of rural New England, and from what I've heard this also seems to be the case in much of PA and upstate NY. These also tend to be areas where mainstream religions predominate, and where people tend to avoid intruding into others' beliefs. As with some of the states in the upper Midwest, how well some of these states might work for you would depend on how important it is for your state's overall politics to lean toward red.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 PM

3,647 posts, read 7,741,952 times
I'd say look into more moderate-conservative Catholic areas (Midwest especially) Catholics are big on traditional family values, but they tend to keep religion to themselves.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:55 AM

11,549 posts, read 13,236,448 times
There are a lot of places where family values are not directly tied in with religion. Otherwise it would be the case that places where religion is not valued as highly would be dens of immorality. This is not the case, of course.

At any rate, New England and New York have a lot cities, towns, and villages with very traditional values where no one will look askance at you if you don't attend church regularly or vocally praise jesus at every opportunity. That is to say, these places appear conservative but scratching the surface will reveal open-mindedness, tolerance and progressiveness.

ABQConvict

Old 12-25-2009, 11:09 AM

411 posts, read 968,578 times
Sugar Land, Texas (Houston burb)

Old 12-25-2009, 11:44 AM

44,806 posts, read 63,118,286 times
I agree with ABQ and ogre. Contrary to belief, there are plenty of smaller communities in Upstate NY, Pennsylvania, NJ and New England where people might be religious or not, but will live and let live. I can think of smaller communities not too far from me where you will see Baptist churches and people are just easy going.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:29 PM

31,688 posts, read 28,349,943 times
I can't tell you what they are but maybe I can tell you how to research them. You don't say whether you are single/married, your age, or whether you have children.

Make a list of places that meet your criteria on things like jobs, weather, taxes, cost of living, schools, etc.

Now do a City Compare (google it, it's the first to come up) and compare each one of those places (town or city and state) to where you live now (town or city and state). In the left hand column, click on VOTING to see the percentages of Democrat, Republican, Consevative Independent and Liberal Independent. You want to see if each of those places on your list are somewhat different than where you live now or very different from where you live now on voting patterns.

Re-prioritize your list, accordingly.

Everyone in the household who is moving should now weigh in on their favorite activities.

You want to do two things. You want to do research to see if the things in the town or adjacent towns support your favorite activities. For example, if someone bowls, you'd want a bowling alley in town or in an adjacent town. If someone does crafts, you'd want some type of craft store in town or in an adjacent town. If someone fishes, you might want a lake or river nearby that has the kind of fishing you enjoy. If someone likes to shop, you might want to make sure there is a large mall or malls in the area. If someone likes to go to the movies or skateboard, you might want to make sure there is a multiplex or skate park in the area.

If someone likes to garden, birdwatch, take photos, or run, for example, you might want to check to see if there are gardening, birdwatching, camera clubs and greenways/blue ways in the area.

Use the online yellow pages to find out what's in the town in addition to Intenet searches. If there is a national chain, you can't live without, make sure there is one near you.

And, you want to read the town newspapers daily, either online or subscribe. See what the people in the town like to do for fun. Does it sound like your idea of fun? Example: A traditional guy might prefer to find a town that has a Memorial Day parade or outdoor concert, July 4 fireworks and a barbecue by the lake, and a local Christmas parade, tree lighting ceremony or Christmas concert as opposed to a non-traditional Winterfest, Boomsday and Fine Arts Annual Black Tie Dinner. He might be looking for some type of scouting opportunities or Little League for his children. For himself he might be looking to join the Knights of Columbus, some Veterans group, Elks Lodge or Trout Unlimited.

Does the newspaper have stories about kid activities and/or school accomplishments or just kid sports and school trouble stories?

Look at the people in the photos at these events. Do they look like your kind of people? By that I mean, are you a wine and cheese, hors d'oeuvres, country club designer-casual, make up, hairdo and jewelry, chamber ensemble, raffle type or are you a beer/lemonade and barbecue, Wal-Mart tee shirt/jeans and sneakers, no make-up/jewelry/hairdo, bluegrass/country music, watermelon-eating contest type?

Traditional --- Look for evidence of honoring people for their military service, police, fire and rescue charitable or honors in newspaper stories. Do they march in town parades? Are they an active part of town activities.

When you visit, look for the presence of American flags, traditional American songs in concerts and people not afraid to mention God in their public ceremonies, public places, before sporting events or in their concerts.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:36 PM

161 posts, read 496,301 times
North and South Dakota!

Both are very family-oriented states with traditional values. Some are involved with the church, but never force it on you or even speak about it unless you ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.