Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM

36,921 posts, read 38,855,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
This makes Atlantic City look colorful and unique (interesting architecture with nice little flourishes all around such as the lampposts, a compact little skyline next to the water, a pier) and Virginia Beach sterile and fairly run-of-the-mill (incredibly dull boxy architecture complete with a large dose of parking lots and parking structures, wide streets built for automobiles complete with nearly dead sidewalks). You've pretty much provided as direct an answer to your own question as anyone has--apparently, Atlantic City, at the very least, can mess with Virginia Beach.

I don't understand the impulse to claw at other cities to boost your own. I haven't seen any particularly interesting selling points for VB in this thread, but instead vague comparisons to supposedly inferior cities. What.

As for my own response to the topic (and barring any non-Atlantic coast cities): Coney Island is definitely better even in its crippled, project-ridden, crime-infested present incarnation.

It has fantastic public transportation, a great history, some fairly interesting rides and amusements, a long schedule of interesting events throughout the year, a stadium for its own minor league baseball stadium, a sizable and historic aquarium, a good location in terms of being south-facing and constantly in the sun, and great food in both the historical coney island fare and the much better eastern european and latin american food found on the actual streets.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-24-2009 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:23 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
I would say that Tampa and it's beaches are just as nice as Virginia Beach...Wilmington NC, though not as large, has very nice beaches as well.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:
It may not be all wannabee famous people and celebs, but VB is great and always a fun time. Much better than places like Daytona, Atlantic City, Myrtle Beach, etc. Virginia Beach is as real as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGE5J...eature=related
Its been so long since I've been to Virginia Beach. Good times and it was definitely more laid-back than Miami. Galveston has a laid-back relaxed feel to it, but VA beach is definitely better imo.

It can go from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8SfDsOLplQ

to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9336d6P2n8

to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woh-aOO3BS4

Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
VA beach < Daytona Beach

Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,628,593 times
Quote:
That's what I mean, I don't know much about the West Coast.
I've been to Virginia Beach. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near what you're going to find here in California.

And I say that only because you said that we had to ignore Miami.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 PM

12,597 posts, read 21,753,315 times
Quote:
But how many metros can you name that contain the three biggest cities in their state? Virginia Beach- Pop. 440,000.Norfolk- Pop. 240,000. Chesapake-Pop.220,000.
Not many, I'll give you that. Perhaps Providence RI which actually has the 4 biggest cities in the state (Providence 178,000, Warwick 85,000, Cranston 79,000, and Pawtucket at 72,000). That's a bit of an unusual situation given the small stature of RI. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a few that have some similarities (for example, Chicago and its suburban city, Aurora are the two largest in Illinois).

Furthermore, I can't think of many metros where the largest city isn't the principal city of the metro. Norfolk is the principal city of the Hampton Roads area but is only the second largest city there.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,327,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Furthermore, I can't think of many metros where the largest city isn't the principal city of the metro. Norfolk is the principal city of the Hampton Roads area but is only the second largest city there.
That's just has to do with city limits/boundaries..

Norfolk is the most densely populated city in Hampton Roads, Virginia, and arguably the Southeastern United States.

Virginia Beach just has more land..

Also, Hampton Roads has 4 out of the top 5 biggest cities in the state. 5 out of the top 7.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,981,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think you're right where the larger beach resorts are concerned. I can name a lot of smaller beach towns on the East Coast that are IMO very charming:

New England? Too many to name; somebody else can handle that.

Delray Beach, FL
Vero Beach, FL
St Augustine, FL
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Atlantic Beach, FL
Fernandina Beach, FL
St Simons Island, GA
Hilton Head Island, SC
Kiawah Island, SC
Sullivan's Island, SC
Isle of Palms, SC
Pawley's Island, FL
Kure, Carolina and Wrightville Beaches, NC
Lewes, DE
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Avalon, NJ
Cape May, NJ
Yes, that's why I said major .

Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM

18 posts, read 44,127 times
**This post is coming from a true VB native who was smart enough to move away** Ok so I hate to be a traitor to my hometown but it's necessary. What beach other than Miami beach mess with THEM? How about ALL of them...VB absolutely sucks, it is the most dirty, stressfull, ghetto, nazi beach on the planet. I honestly have no clue as to why anyone would travel to VB and spend their money. The worst hotel in America according to the travel channel is in VB (The Tropicana), if you plan to go out be prepared to either get in a fight, get shot, get thrown out of somewhere, get your car towed, get arrested, get robbed, the possibilities are ENDLESS. Why not go to the OBX, Wrightsville Beach, Emeral Isle, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, ANYWHERE on the Florida coast, or the Hamptons...

Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 PM

404 posts, read 1,090,452 times
VB is full of rednecks and ghetto trash. Miami is full of illegals and ghetto trash. Take your pick...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.