U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,870,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Thats interesting. China and India promote (or in China's case, you are subject to large fines) abortion of women as they are considered a burden in the culture (Dowerys: Male children care and take in their homes their Patrilineal families, etc..).
Qatar had a huge imported labor force of men (Phillipinos and Sri Lankans mostly) who are vastly underpaid, live in decrepit and many times homeless conditions. There was until this '09 recession, a massive building boom there. I would assume that this male labor force has returned home as the money has dried up and the population has returned to natural proportion (which is something like 11 women to 10 men).
Could be, but even in tough economic times there have been contractors from other countries (including the USA) who moved there and made it big. You can make a lot more as a contractor in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait than you can in the States. I would assume the same for Qatar. Although I do wish they would take the census out there and exclude these temporary (if that's what they are) laborers from statistics. It throws things off if you know what I mean.

Back to the US stats - the website posted above says Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. I guess there is a correlation between the last four as they are all in the mountain west areas. And Alaska is considered a very rugged place. I can see how these areas would be more attractive to males than females, but you'd think in this day in age with all the developments and technology this wouldn't make a difference on the amount of females? This might sound a little goofy, but I really didn't think Nevada would be up there. I was thinking prostitution and the entertainment industries they have there would attract many younger women.

On the flip side of that, Mississippi apparently has the highest proportion of females. This one's hard to explain but my first assumption would be Southern poverty = alcoholism, bad diets, crime = death at younger ages for males. I know this is sorta the problem in Russia, where they have far more females than males. Alcoholism is huge out there and the average age of death for a Russian male is 58.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,870,764 times
Problem with all these stats though is finding the age bracket in question. In general, men anywhere will usually die younger than women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or