U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:40 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,872,772 times

Advertisements

I can't find any statistics for sex ratio by individual states in the US. I found a list for the cities with the highest percentage of males 18-34 that are never married, but that doesn't tell me how many males there are. I am wondering which states have more males than females and by what ratio, in the 18-34 age group? Anyone find any stats on this? I heard Alaska has a high male-to-female ratio, but I don't know if that's the highest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 04:42 AM

And if possible, I'd like stats that DON'T include military personnel stationed in that state. That would throw off the stats.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:15 PM

251 posts, read 934,320 times
They do tend to list Military Cities as top cities for Single Men that age range...

Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,456,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
And if possible, I'd like stats that DON'T include military personnel stationed in that state. That would throw off the stats.
Curious as to how that would throw off the stats if there are ALWAYS going to be men stationed there.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:46 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
Is the following what you want?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Alaska, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah seem to be the only "majority male" states. The state with the highest female majority is Mississippi.

If you want something on "men currently married versus "women currently married", by state, there's the following.

http://pewsocialtrends.org/assets/flash/marriage/

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:59 AM..

Old 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,591,947 times
Quote:
I am wondering which states have more males than females and by what ratio, in the 18-34 age group?
The stats alone do not provide much info. For instance, in the early '00's San Diego County had a high male-to-female ratio but what the stat did not tell you is that most of the males were laborers without a HS education. I'm sure parts of SF have a huge male-to-female ratio but if you are looking for a hetro date, that might be difficult. Must take all stats in context..

Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
The stats alone do not provide much info. For instance, in the early '00's San Diego County had a high male-to-female ratio but what the stat did not tell you is that most of the males were laborers without a HS education. I'm sure parts of SF have a huge male-to-female ratio but if you are looking for a hetro date, that might be difficult. Must take all stats in context..
lol Slow down there, buddy. I am not asking because I've got my bags packed read to move to the next city to pick up dudes. I am simply curious because it seems worldwide that females outnumber males, so I would be interested to see where they don't and why. I always ask questions like these. I'm interested in statistics like that. Not because of any ulterior motives.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,488,072 times
Quote:
lol Slow down there, buddy. I am not asking because I've got my bags packed read to move to the next city to pick up dudes. I am simply curious because it seems worldwide that females outnumber males, so I would be interested to see where they don't and why. I always ask questions like these. I'm interested in statistics like that. Not because of any ulterior motives.
Take a look at China. Exact opposite there. Many more males than females.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Take a look at China. Exact opposite there. Many more males than females.
Qatar gas the highest proportion of males to females. Now I'm just trying to narrow it down to the states and see where the men outnumber the women, outside of military bases.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:20 AM

2,294 posts, read 5,591,947 times
Quote:
Qatar gas the highest proportion of males to females. Now I'm just trying to narrow it down to the states and see where the men outnumber the women, outside of military bases.
Thats interesting. China and India promote (or in China's case, you are subject to large fines) abortion of women as they are considered a burden in the culture (Dowerys: Male children care and take in their homes their Patrilineal families, etc..).
Qatar had a huge imported labor force of men (Phillipinos and Sri Lankans mostly) who are vastly underpaid, live in decrepit and many times homeless conditions. There was until this '09 recession, a massive building boom there. I would assume that this male labor force has returned home as the money has dried up and the population has returned to natural proportion (which is something like 11 women to 10 men).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or