U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:41 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,166,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are exactly right. Because who are the people moving to Texas? - mostly Californians & people from the Great Lakes\ Northeast. I've heard that all the large Texas cities vote strongly Democratic.
The counties which house the big cities tend to lean moderately to heavily democratic, with suburban counties and rural going heavily republican (an exception to this would be rural southern counties in the Valley, which have a high latino population that leans democratic. But yea, as Texas gets bigger, it gets more and more purple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,904,692 times
So do you think there will be a change in the senate and congress with people moving around. It would be interesting to see how that turns out. If you vote a particular party and move, what are the chances you will change how you vote when you get to the next state. So the addition of the representative may be the same politics as the one lost in the state you moved from??

I had been wondering where all these people were coming from and how many more our state could hold. Our county was the fastest growing county in America for two years running and last information is that we are still number six in growth in America. Gotta stop sometime and soon would be good. Everybody in America cannot move to the same county.

I just feel fortunate to have been born in a state that everybody else seems to want to live. I had a teacher years ago to tell our class that she had been in every state and she saw no state she would rather live in. Other places were nice to visit, but as far as she was concerned, we lived in the best county in America and it probably still is. Sorry, its a secret. You don't really need to know which county in North Carolina I am talking about. Some of you wouldn't like it because it is a very Christian county. I lived in a place just like Mitford and it was about 30 miles from Mitford.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
So do you think there will be a change in the senate and congress with people moving around. It would be interesting to see how that turns out. If you vote a particular party and move, what are the chances you will change how you vote when you get to the next state. So the addition of the representative may be the same politics as the one lost in the state you moved from??

I had been wondering where all these people were coming from and how many more our state could hold. Our county was the fastest growing county in America for two years running and last information is that we are still number six in growth in America. Gotta stop sometime and soon would be good. Everybody in America cannot move to the same county.

I just feel fortunate to have been born in a state that everybody else seems to want to live. I had a teacher years ago to tell our class that she had been in every state and she saw no state she would rather live in. Other places were nice to visit, but as far as she was concerned, we lived in the best county in America and it probably still is. Sorry, its a secret. You don't really need to know which county in North Carolina I am talking about. Some of you wouldn't like it because it is a very Christian county. I lived in a place just like Mitford and it was about 30 miles from Mitford.
>>>>>
it is a very Christian county
<<<<<

NCN,

Sounds like my neck of the woods here in the South-Central....and I do love my neck of the woods...so I'm guessing I would like yours too!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Here's a related "McClatchy" article I read yesterday: Jobless aren't moving to jobs - Business - NewsObserver.com

Old 12-29-2009, 12:57 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,342,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Here's a related "McClatchy" article I read yesterday: Jobless aren't moving to jobs - Business - NewsObserver.com
Just going by the headline alone, that makes sense; it takes money to move, and if you're jobless, chances are you just don't have much of it.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:09 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,729,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
The counties which house the big cities tend to lean moderately to heavily democratic, with suburban counties and rural going heavily republican (an exception to this would be rural southern counties in the Valley, which have a high latino population that leans democratic. But yea, as Texas gets bigger, it gets more and more purple.
I find it funny that the Californians/Rust Belters are fleeing their states, and then when they get to a new state, voting for the party who was primarily responsible for creating the problems that caused them to flee their state in the first place.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,842,812 times
Take a big, deep breath. Less Americans are moving in the past couple years, mainly due to the lousy economy. Unlike past recessions, this one does not promote picking up roots and moving to a new state.

With that having been said, many Americans are confused as to where the best place to go is. This may keep many right where they are. But the "move to the sunbelt" theme seems to have gone by the wayside. And, frankly, that is a good thing. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, San Antonio, (the list goes on and on) is not valid at the start of 2010. The only way to get out of this mess is to create new jobs, new companies, new ventures, in places that already exist! In other words, there are plenty of strong cities that have creative, smart people who can reinvent our economy, and they can do it in places that are not necessarily in the sunbelt. This is the new reality of the next decade. I can map it out with a general outlook, but the details must come from the populace. This country can do it, there is no doubt in my mind.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,250,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Take a big, deep breath. Less Americans are moving in the past couple years, mainly due to the lousy economy. Unlike past recessions, this one does not promote picking up roots and moving to a new state.

With that having been said, many Americans are confused as to where the best place to go is. This may keep many right where they are. But the "move to the sunbelt" theme seems to have gone by the wayside. And, frankly, that is a good thing. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, San Antonio, (the list goes on and on) is not valid at the start of 2010. The only way to get out of this mess is to create new jobs, new companies, new ventures, in places that already exist! In other words, there are plenty of strong cities that have creative, smart people who can reinvent our economy, and they can do it in places that are not necessarily in the sunbelt. This is the new reality of the next decade. I can map it out with a general outlook, but the details must come from the populace. This country can do it, there is no doubt in my mind.
Well-stated!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,342,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, San Antonio, (the list goes on and on) is not valid at the start of 2010.
San Antonio doesn't belong on that list.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,137,558 times
I think its the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.