U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:28 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,556,257 times

Advertisements

Couldnt stand living in any other state than Louisiana. Best state in the world. Nothing comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Take a big, deep breath. Less Americans are moving in the past couple years, mainly due to the lousy economy. Unlike past recessions, this one does not promote picking up roots and moving to a new state.

With that having been said, many Americans are confused as to where the best place to go is. This may keep many right where they are. But the "move to the sunbelt" theme seems to have gone by the wayside. And, frankly, that is a good thing. Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, San Antonio, (the list goes on and on) is not valid at the start of 2010. The only way to get out of this mess is to create new jobs, new companies, new ventures, in places that already exist! In other words, there are plenty of strong cities that have creative, smart people who can reinvent our economy, and they can do it in places that are not necessarily in the sunbelt. This is the new reality of the next decade. I can map it out with a general outlook, but the details must come from the populace. This country can do it, there is no doubt in my mind.
I'm pretty sure that Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, San Antonio (the list goes on and on) ALSO already exist. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this statement.

Sunbelt cities have existed for a long time...the fact that they have been growing recently doesn't mean that they didn't exist prior to the recent growth.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm pretty sure that Phoenix, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, San Antonio (the list goes on and on) ALSO already exist. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this statement.

Sunbelt cities have existed for a long time...the fact that they have been growing recently doesn't mean that they didn't exist prior to the recent growth.
Yes, that was worded a bit clumsily. What I meant was there are down-trodden, depressed cities that could be reinvigorated, and the sunbelt is not the only place where growth is likely to occur in the future. The recent trend of out-migration from Florida and California is likely to continue IMO.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Couldnt stand living in any other state than Louisiana. Best state in the world. Nothing comparable.
I believe you're the first person who has ever made that claim.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:45 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Quote:
Yes, that was worded a bit clumsily. What I meant was there are down-trodden, depressed cities that could be reinvigorated, and the sunbelt is not the only place where growth is likely to occur in the future. The recent trend of out-migration from Florida and California is likely to continue IMO.
Okay...I can agree with that. Obviously the reason for the sunbelt's slowing population growth is the economy, but I do think that eventually some of the declining areas will begin to grow again while the sunbelt still continues to grow as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:00 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,239,526 times
Quote:
I hope you are right. I think the net population hasn't changed but at least the migration is way down California can not afford any more people.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,556,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I believe you're the first person who has ever made that claim.
not even close. Ive been to other statses. Ive been to so called perfect Fairfax to visit my Uncle for two weeks. Ive been to COlorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland....Ill stay in Louisiana. Still havent found another state with such enjoyable culture and friendly people. Its nice elsewhere, but here in the sunbelt is where my heart is and Im not leaving.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:27 AM

2,231 posts, read 5,423,811 times
Why is Sunbelt growth slowing down?

Only because people in less desirable regions cannot sell their houses and move on. Eventually, the Snow/Rust/Icebelt runs out of potential buyers for houses, especially at the inflated prices the owners want.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:36 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Why is Sunbelt growth slowing down?

Only because people in less desirable regions cannot sell their houses and move on. Eventually, the Snow/Rust/Icebelt runs out of potential buyers for houses, especially at the inflated prices the owners want.
Perhaps that is part of it, but a lot of it has to do with the extreme amount of foreclosures in the sunbelt, as prices were inflated, and more folks just couldn't keep up. I also sense many are tired of the rapid growth, crowded highways, and immigration problems occuring in the sunbelt. For many, it is a realization that they would rather be back home closer to family. The reasons for many moving out of the sunbelt are multiple, and complex.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:01 PM

2,742 posts, read 5,994,650 times
Quote:
Perhaps that is part of it, but a lot of it has to do with the extreme amount of foreclosures in the sunbelt, as prices were inflated, and more folks just couldn't keep up. I also sense many are tired of the rapid growth, crowded highways, and immigration problems occuring in the sunbelt. For many, it is a realization that they would rather be back home closer to family. The reasons for many moving out of the sunbelt are multiple, and complex.
The numbers don't really bear that out though. As states like Florida become less popular, people are simply moving to places like Texas, Georgia and North Carolina which are still booming even during the recession. I think there's too much of an emphasis on the Sunbelt states that have seen their growth slow, while ignoring the fact places like the three states I just mentioned continue to have positive "net migration" while rust belt and N.E. states continue to have net loses in "domestic migration". If so many people are moving back, why don't the net domestic migration numbers show that?

Another point I've tried to stress to people over on my hometown's board repeatedly, is people always ignore the fact that many people in this country are renters, so the housing market has less to do with their decision and/or abilty to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.