U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 11,195,790 times
Reputation: 5397

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I think starting with NY would work also. Even if you subtracted the population of NYC and add a few more million to that number you would still have more people living in the sticks than any of those states you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
lol yeah ok...that's a funny one. You're from a small town in Florida and you say this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yeah, but not nearly as much as he described This is coming from a person whose town has a population less than 10 people.
So your claim is that the State of NY has no "hicks"?

Why is my current location important to this?

Did you actually read my post? Why not try posting a logical rebuttal instead of using smileys and LOL's?

 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,624,730 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So your claim is that the State of NY has no "hicks"?

Why is my current location important to this?

Did you actually read my post? Why not try posting a logical rebuttal instead of using smileys and LOL's?

Of course upstate NY small towns has some hicks--but you paint it out to be that so many from the state are hicks I went to college in a small town in upstate NY. I really didn't even see that many people who would be a hick.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 11,195,790 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Of course upstate NY small towns has some hicks--but you paint it out to be that so many from the state are hicks , rolleyes, I went to college in a small town in upstate NY. I really didn't even see that many people who would be a hick.
What I did point out was that if we go by population and subtract for major cities we can deduce that there will in all probability be more "hicks" in NY than all the other states the poster I was replying to had mentioned.

Your reply still has no basis in logic just your purported claims that you didn't see many people you would consider "hicks".
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
 
27,652 posts, read 21,554,463 times
Reputation: 25295
Pennsylvania has lots of hick towns full of hicks. I'm related to some of them.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
 
27,652 posts, read 21,554,463 times
Reputation: 25295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
Places in jersey, maryland etc where it's just white people
Just white people in New Jersey? Are you serious?



The percentage of people who are black is 17% - well over the 12.5% for the country overall.

But we do have some hick towns, many of them at the Jersey shore, others in the northwest part of the state.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:49 PM
 
1,712 posts, read 1,906,780 times
Reputation: 770
Just because a city is large does not mean that it is automatically exempt from having people who have hick like qualities. Some of the most backward ignorant and clannish people are from NY and LA. Want proof? Just read these city threads enough

At the same time, there are hicks in small towns who have never been anywhere else as well and have backward and narrow minded attitudes.

No place is immune to ignorance
 
Old 12-28-2009, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,904 posts, read 6,624,730 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post

Your reply still has no basis in logic just your purported claims that you didn't see many people you would consider "hicks".

Uh, I lived upstate for 3 years. I was just saying I didn't see that many hicks.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,489 posts, read 11,195,790 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Uh, I lived upstate for 3 years. I was just saying I didn't see that many hicks.
That was exactly the point of my post.
Thank you for backing me up.
 
Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
 
5,231 posts, read 9,485,343 times
Reputation: 2343
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Just because a city is large does not mean that it is automatically exempt from having people who have hick like qualities. Some of the most backward ignorant and clannish people are from NY and LA. Want proof? Just read these city threads enough

At the same time, there are hicks in small towns who have never been anywhere else as well and have backward and narrow minded attitudes.

No place is immune to ignorance
EXACTLY! I can take you to parts of my city where they stage dog fights and **** fights, where women spit on the street, where people park their cars on their front lawns, and and where proper grammar has gone to die! Plenty of hicks in American cities!
 
Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 AM
 
1,592 posts, read 1,683,606 times
Reputation: 2065
New York is the biggest hick town because people there have no interest or knowledge in the world outside their city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top