U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 PM

570 posts, read 643,724 times

Advertisements

I hate to rag on my state, but I would never live in Philadelphia. It gives the good people of Pennsylvania a bad rap.

Pittsburgh is an old city, decaying in some parts, but it doesn't have the same crudeness as Philadelphia.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM

32 posts, read 45,778 times
Why limit this to one city? Some people hate entire regions even after visiting them. I would never live in Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, St Louis, or any other midwest locale. Not because of the people or the lack of stuff to do. Just too gray, flat, freezing, boring and the cities are either too similar or spaced too far apart.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 PM

4,679 posts, read 7,880,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffyGrad View Post
Why limit this to one city? Some people hate entire regions even after visiting them. I would never live in Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee, St Louis, or any other midwest locale. Not because of the people or the lack of stuff to do. Just too gray, flat, freezing, boring and the cities are either too similar or spaced too far apart.
Not being defensive, but using just these two examples... Chicago = boring St Louis = gray or flat Just asking, but have you actually spent much time in these two places, seen all that they have to offer? LOL - will not at all argue about the freezing aspect!

Guess that's what makes humans so durn interesting and able to, as a whole, be vibrant in various different areas.

Me, based on what I've seen, no way I would be happy in someplace like LA.

I'd gladly take SanFran, Boston, Chicago, StL, etc. cities any day over LA.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:19 AM

5,358 posts, read 6,281,846 times
If the weather wasn't so crappy, I think I could live in Chicago

St. Louis isn't boring, but this is one of the less attractive areas of the country I've ever lived in. Not too crazy about some of the insular attitudes around here, either.

I guess if you are relocating from the Midwest, or the South East Saint Louis would be a good move. If you are coming from coastal California or any place east of the Catskill Mountains, this is a very difficult place to get used to.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:53 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffyGrad View Post
I'll ignore the rest of your post because it's your opinion, but the highlighted portion isn't up for debate. With the exception of the Northeast Corridor (DC-Boston) the big cities of the Midwest are much closer together than big cities in the South or the West. That's just geography; look at a map some time.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,981,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
If the weather wasn't so crappy, I think I could live in Chicago

St. Louis isn't boring, but this is one of the less attractive areas of the country I've ever lived in. Not too crazy about some of the insular attitudes around here, either.

I guess if you are relocating from the Midwest, or the South East Saint Louis would be a good move. If you are coming from coastal California or any place east of the Catskill Mountains, this is a very difficult place to get used to.
What's so special about the coasts that makes people from their feel so superior to everyone else? Is it something in the water?

Speaking of insular, native New Yorkers and Californians are among the most insular people in the world.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:20 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,928,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
What's so special about the coasts that makes people from their feel so superior to everyone else? Is it something in the water?

Speaking of insular, native New Yorkers and Californians are among the most insular people in the world.

I agree

Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Probably the Raw Natural Beauty, The mountains, the Lakes, the Rivers, The Oceans. The People. The Excitement.

Quote:
Saint Louis is fine if you like the Midwest. I've lived here Since Summer 2008. I just don't like it.

You have no idea what insularity is. Every where I've been in NY and Ca have welcomed people from out of state. - JUST AN EXAMPLE: The ad agency I used to work for had only two CA Natives (one being the owner).

The locals around here use the phrase as "What High School did you go to" as a way to establish your social status.

I've lived in many places and have never seen anything like this area.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:39 PM

981 posts, read 209,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Probably the Raw Natural Beauty, The mountains, the Lakes, the Rivers, The Oceans. The People. The Excitement.

Saint Louis is fine if you like the Midwest. I've lived here Since Summer 2008. I just don't like it.

You have no idea what insularity is. Every where I've been in NY and Ca have welcomed people from out of state. - JUST AN EXAMPLE: The ad agency I used to work for had only two CA Natives (one being the owner).

The locals around here use the phrase as "What High School did you go to" as a way to establish your social status.

I've lived in many places and have never seen anything like this area.
It sounds as though the area doesn't have a high amount of transplants. In places like California, Florida, and many of the Northeastern cities, it's kind of a given that people will be from all over the country, and the world.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
It sounds as though the area doesn't have a high amount of transplants. In places like California, Florida, and many of the Northeastern cities, it's kind of a given that people will be from all over the country, and the world.
You are right. So how can NY and CA be insular as jjacobeclark claims?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.