U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 21,185,677 times
Reputation: 10279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, with 50,000 people every square mile, what do you expect it will smell it? We're the largest city in the country and by far the most dense.
And Im supposed to like it because of that? Ill take LA any day if I need a super mega city.

 
Old 12-27-2009, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No offense, LINative - but none of it, to be honest.

Too isolated for me. If I was to end up in the metro, it would probably be Northern New Jersey.

It's the leaving/returning from anywhere else that really turns me off, having that shlep through the City to get anywhere.

That, along with the provincialism of quite a large part of the population - you certainly being the exception to this.
Long Island is not Isolated or Provincial. HAve you ever been there?

Also be careful. I used to swear that I would never live in the Saint Louis Area.
I've been here since the summer of 2008 and hating this swillhole more everyday.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Reputation: 6423
Wink Millions of isolated people

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No offense, LINative - but none of it, to be honest.

Too isolated for me. If I was to end up in the metro, it would probably be Northern New Jersey.

It's the leaving/returning from anywhere else that really turns me off, having that shlep through the City to get anywhere.

That, along with the provincialism of quite a large part of the population - you certainly being the exception to this.
Thanks ok Johnatl, after reading your last paragraph I think I understand why you picked LI. At least I think we are on the same page, lol.


Just for the record though, I would say Long Island is NOT isolated enough though. If we were, then more of the Island would look like the Hamptons or at least the rural North Fork. Instead we have 3 major airports plus several smaller ones, a major commuter railroad, state parkways to New York City and even ferries connecting the island to New England.

I am not saying I would want the entire island to be a tourist attraction like Nantucket. But I do really wish the Island was more isolated because maybe Long Island would not be so damm popular!
 
Old 12-27-2009, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Long Island is not Isolated or Provincial. HAve you ever been there?

Also be careful. I used to swear that I would never live in the Saint Louis Area.
I've been here since the summer of 2008 and hating this swillhole more everyday.
I've obviously been there, or I wouldn't be able to speak of it the way I did.

It is very isolated geographically, like it or not. You are forced to traverse NYC to either leave or return. I also travel a lot, and actually hate both LaGuardia & JFK with a passion.

A very, very large majority of the population is from the NYC metro area. It is always the last choice of new transplants to the area, and there is a reason. I find the overall population to be extremely provincial, with exceptions of course. I have never come into contact with so many people that have never left their region as I did there.

With the cost of living factored in, I can think of several much nicer areas of the Tri-State area. All of which - to me - offer a much better quality of life. I'm also not a fan of the wannabe guido tough-guy persona that seems to dominate the island.

Different strokes.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,147,451 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Thanks ok Johnatl, after reading your last paragraph I think I understand why you picked LI. At least I think we are on the same page, lol.


Just for the record though, I would say Long Island is NOT isolated enough though. If we were, then more of the Island would look like the Hamptons or at least the rural North Fork. Instead we have 3 major airports plus several smaller ones, a major commuter railroad, state parkways to New York City and even ferries connecting the island to New England.

I am not saying I would want the entire island to be a tourist attraction like Nantucket. But I do really wish the Island was more isolated because maybe Long Island would not be so damm popular!
I can totally see your point!
 
Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,015,870 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I've obviously been there, or I wouldn't be able to speak of it the way I did.

It is very isolated geographically, like it or not. You are forced to traverse NYC to either leave or return. I also travel a lot, and actually hate both LaGuardia & JFK with a passion.

A very, very large majority of the population is from the NYC metro area. It is always the last choice of new transplants to the area, and there is a reason. I find the overall population to be extremely provincial, with exceptions of course. I have never come into contact with so many people that have never left their region as I did there.

With the cost of living factored in, I can think of several much nicer areas of the Tri-State area. All of which - to me - offer a much better quality of life. I'm also not a fan of the wannabe guido tough-guy persona that seems to dominate the island.

Different strokes.
JFK and LaGuarda do suck. I use Newark or MacArthur.
I never saw too many guidos ont he North Shore, but they seemed to breed like rats int he towns near the expressway and on the south shore and everyone was always "connected"

If You think LI is provincial you should live in the Saint Louis area for a while. Not only have many of them never left the area, they don't take a liking to newcomers.

After living here, I would go back to Long Island in a heartbeat.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,643 posts, read 7,444,233 times
Reputation: 4316
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
New York City

Too stressed, too dense, too many fake liberals

1st runnerup would be Phoenix (can anyone say boring)

2nd runnerup is Vegas, one word: cheesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Las Vegas--a sea of vulgarity and garishness in the middle of an ugly, brown desert.

Phoenix--BTDT. Brown, dry, boring, terrible economy in spite of the fact that people assume that because a place is warm there MUST be jobs there (duh!), HOT, and lots of crime. Also drivers who tend to become violently angry if they are behind you and you, God forbid, drive the speed limit.

There are no boring cities the size of Phoenix (and every city has crime). There are, however, boring and needy people.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Reputation: 30796
San Francisco, it is ugly and has a funny smell.


ABQConvict
 
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
Reputation: 5331
I'm still waiting for the "Which forum member would you most like to see drawn and quartered and then burned at the stake?" thread.

Although I do believe that we could handle the responses in a mature, responsible, and intellectual way and respect the opinions of those who wish to do bodily harm to their fellow forumer.
 
Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,322,731 times
Reputation: 2698
Hate to keep beating up on Detroit, but I'll have to cast my vote for it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top