U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 10:33 AM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Major cities eh? Probably Chicago for two reasons...the harshness of the winters and the clannishness of Chicagoans
we are clannish crew, I'll admit.

As for the winters, a lot of people would be utterly surprised about how normal much of the weather is.

Yes, we have cold streaks and snow. But there are so many winter days when the temperatures are just fine, wind isn't a factor, and there is no snow or sleet.

We are a northern climate, no question about it, but the differences between us and the northeast corridor is often overstated. We just are not as extreme as so many think we are.

Others would disagree with me, but truth is that if you can make it o.k. through a New York or Philly winter, you'll actually do just fine in Chicago.

Then again, if you're coming from Miami or LA...you've got a tough job ahead of you.

As for me, and knowing that climate is a personal choice, I'll admit I'm out of the main stream on this one, but the truth is that I could far more easily survive a Chicago winter than a Miami, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, or Vegas summer.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 AM

7,593 posts, read 9,444,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
we are clannish crew, I'll admit.

As for the winters, a lot of people would be utterly surprised about how normal much of the weather is.

Yes, we have cold streaks and snow. But there are so many winter days when the temperatures are just fine, wind isn't a factor, and there is no snow or sleet.

We are a northern climate, no question about it, but the differences between us and the northeast corridor is often overstated. We just are not as extreme as so many think we are.

Others would disagree with me, but truth is that if you can make it o.k. through a New York or Philly winter, you'll actually do just fine in Chicago.

Then again, if you're coming from Miami or LA...you've got a tough job ahead of you.

As for me, and knowing that climate is a personal choice, I'll admit I'm out of the main stream on this one, but the truth is that I could far more easily survive a Chicago winter than a Miami, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, or Vegas summer.
Chicago winters are a bit colder than NYC/Philly winters. The snowfall totals of NYC and Philly are usually not that impressive, either.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:05 PM

56,005 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Chicago winters are a bit colder than NYC/Philly winters. The snowfall totals of NYC and Philly are usually not that impressive, either.
I think because of the air coming in from over the ocean. It tends to be warmer and we get rain when there is snow inland.

Up in Buffalo, NY, and areas near Lake Erie they get deep snowfalls from something they call "lake effect". Is Chicago snowfall heavy for the same reason?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,138,691 times
Default Philadelphia Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Philadelphia. One small nice historical area--the rest looks very depressing and run down.
Philadelphia is definately my No. 1 pick also. Some parts of it look like it was bombed during WWII and none bothered to build it back up. Of course there are many older Northeastern cities that look the same to be fair to Philly.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,245,200 times
Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Las Vegas, Pitt, Phily, New York, Buffalo, Cincinnati, L.A, New Orleans, Baltimore, Memphis, anywhere in New Jersey

Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
^ Wrong. Read the title again.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
I've gotta say Baltimore, if only because I had such bad experiences while driving through there. Both times, for whatever reason, I had to use the bathroom badly and drove off the interstate looking for a place. I quickly found myself in some terrifying neighborhoods. Detroit's no picnic, either, but I actually rate it above Baltimore based on my experiences.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
(by major Us cities, I'm assuming 350K+ pop)
There's a few.

Jacksonville- It resembles a gigantic redneck suburb in a lot of the city. (which is too much of a cultural shock for me to even think of living) It's also has horrible weather (IMO) and a shabby downtown for such a size.

Miami- I know I'm picking on FL (sorry) but it's just far away from my living desires. It's too hot/mild for too much of the year, the economy is a well known disaster, and I rather live in a place where the majority of the residents speak English as their first language. Crime is also becoming more and more of an issue there. (I want positive change, not negative.)

Detroit- It's (for the most part) Run-down, crime filled, and in desperate need of a revival.

Los Angeles- The overall hype is rather a let down once you visit the place. The weather IMO sucks, It's also hard to fit in judging on where your limited budget throws you. I'd also like to mention that the stereotype for LA's people as air-headed and seemingly slow isn't as bad as the media makes them out to be, but it's bad enough for me to not want to live among the people that fit the criteria.

Atlanta- It's in the south for one, which is one thing I'm not fit for, the weather sucks IMO, and I also don't like the idea that the cost of living and growth is rising when its crime rates are an issue that's not doing much of anything but being high.
According to you, the weather "sucks" in Florida, Los Angeles & Atlanta yet you live in New Jersey?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,118,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Phoenix was just a soul-destroying wasteland of no culture, nothing really to do except go to sports bars, waiting until 11 PM for it to cool down enough to actually play the sports you like, and overly aggressive maniacs. I was there for three months and hated it.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,233,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I've obviously been there, or I wouldn't be able to speak of it the way I did.

It is very isolated geographically, like it or not. You are forced to traverse NYC to either leave or return. I also travel a lot, and actually hate both LaGuardia & JFK with a passion.

A very, very large majority of the population is from the NYC metro area. It is always the last choice of new transplants to the area, and there is a reason. I find the overall population to be extremely provincial, with exceptions of course. I have never come into contact with so many people that have never left their region as I did there.

With the cost of living factored in, I can think of several much nicer areas of the Tri-State area. All of which - to me - offer a much better quality of life. I'm also not a fan of the wannabe guido tough-guy persona that seems to dominate the island.

Different strokes.
I'm not surprised that New Yorkers would stay close to home because they have everything at their fingertips including commutes [good or bad]. When driving up the coast from San Diego to San Francisco people must drive thru LA & hit all the traffic like in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or