U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 PM

271 posts, read 583,165 times

Advertisements

A little twist on the Best places to retire or best places to raise a family studies. Where are the best places for mid-life singles?

People in their 40's, with no family or family commitments. People who are still physically health enough to "do things" and are also ready to a job they enjoy without worrying about making a lot of money?

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,350,427 times
Likely SF or Manhattan depending upon whether one favors CA coastal weather/topography vs NYC nightlife

Both towns have lots of <40yo "retirees" who work because they enjoy their career and being around smart colleagues, not for money to pay bills (much like the young MSFT/AMZN retirees of Medina)

Lots of places are interesting for wkend play, like LA's Westside, but intellectually dead for daily life, even if semi-retired

Old 12-27-2009, 01:43 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,713 times
Usually the more populated and popular cities.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Likely SF or Manhattan depending upon whether one favors CA coastal weather/topography vs NYC nightlife

Both towns have lots of <40yo "retirees" who work because they enjoy their career and being around smart colleagues, not for money to pay bills (much like the young MSFT/AMZN retirees of Medina)

Lots of places are interesting for wkend play, like LA's Westside, but intellectually dead for daily life, even if semi-retired
Interesting choice and possible for the ex "yuppies". People who could afford to "retire" at <40 but what about people who just don't have that type of $$$

Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,148,950 times
I'd steer clear of the Sunbelt cities and much of the West, as those places tend to be younger in composition, more suburban in character, and cater mainly to families with young kids. Generally, wherever you live, the only people who aren't married by age 40 are career minded individuals, that's why I suggest looking at big cities in the Northeast and the Rust Belt. The big cities of the Northeast and Rust Belt tend to have older populations than the rest of the country, but older populations aren't enough on their own. You also need to have lots of corporations headquartered there to ensure that there will be fellow workaholics of the same age range; cities like Pittsburgh or Philadelphia would be perfect imo. My aunt is a perfect example of what I'm talking about, she worked as a stockbroker with Robert Baird and Associates in Milwaukee for almost three decades. She finally got married a few years ago in her late 40's and now lives on a golf course in South Carolina. She had no problem dating and staying socially active in Milwaukee, because there were lots of other single 30-40 somethings to socialize with. On the flipside, I lived in Denver from 04-09, and can't say the same about that city. Most people are married with kids by the time they're 30, let alone 40.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,929,817 times
If I had to choose...Phoenix, AZ. Seems like a good place to "get your groove back".....

Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
What about New York weather/topography vs CA nightlife? :-)

I think depending on your tastes, both areas offer a lot of both.

ABQConvict

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
I think a city like Minneapolis would fit as it is known for being a city with quite a few physically fit residents, but also has quite a bit to do there. Denver might work too.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM

13 posts, read 55,360 times
Its sure not Canon City Colo! Nothing! unless you work for the prisons!.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:03 PM

This is all great insight.

True. Most people my age are married, have families or are gay where, depending on the state you live may still be married with families I'm "none of the above".

I'm not into modern technology and in fact, would prefer to "get my hands dirty" but of course...modern technology is what pays the big bucks

Therefore, the younger generation that has grown up with computers move to the cities that are "wired" and can do "quite well...thank-you very much" resulting in people like me who only knows the basics of technology with no real desire to take advanced courses struggling to make ends meet.

Of course, most people my age don't care about the job that much because they have family which could also result in double income earners which helps them buy a house, take family vacation, etc.

Am I rambling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or