U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 21,227 times

Advertisements

I am interested in relocating to a place that has:
- job opportunities for MBA grads
- young professionals (that are down to earth)
- mild sunny weather
- mountains or closeby (this is a must as I am a car enthusiast and enjoy mountain drives)
- nature (beach/water would be nice)
- restaurants
- shopping
- not over-developed

I currently live in Charlotte, NC and am looking to be closer to the mountains/nature but do not want to sacrifice restaurants, shopping (can be within an hour's drive), etc. Cost is less of a concern if all of the other criteria is met.

I am considering:
- Orange County, CA
- Manhattan Beach/South Bay, CA
- San Francisco/East Bay, CA
- Asheville, NC

Maybe Calabassas/Malibu, CA or La Jolla, CA but Los Angeles and San Diego feel too over-developed... Asheville may be too "small" and "liberal" of a town. I have thought about Portland, OR and Denver, CO but I think the cold weather might be a deal breaker. Maybe some places in New England or on the East Coast? Any and all suggestions/feedback is welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:58 PM

180 posts, read 453,230 times
As I was reading your post, even before seeing the places you had in mind, I though about California. I was thinking maybe San Jose, Sacramento, or San Diego. Another thought was Honolulu, although the mountains are not as big.

San Francisco itself can be quite cloudy and foggy, but you can escape it by being just a little inland.

Asheville is somewhat small, and I don't think they would have a lot of MBA jobs compared to the larger cities.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,425,564 times
Orange County and the South Bay of LA are far more dense and crowded than San Diego. The Bay Area is more dense as well but due to it's linear layout it's not very hard to escape to nature. SD is actually the least dense and there are a lot of canyons that break up development so it's not constant or too dense/crowded.

CA pretty much fits your criteria very well. But it seems all the metropolitan areas are too overcrowded for you. Smaller areas like Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Luis Obispo, etc.. are all good choices but might be too small and the job opportunities aren't the best. You're probably gonna have to sacrafice one of your criterion's to get the rest.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:55 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,022,895 times
Except for the colder climate,and beaches, it's extremely sunny..Denver has those other places beat.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM

1,965 posts, read 5,789,199 times
Denver isn't the place for MBA jobs.
LA and SF Bay Area are the top spots that have what you are looking for and lots of jobs. Seattle might be a possibility as well. San Diego would be close to ideal for what you want outside of jobs, but there are fewer opportunities compared to LA/SF.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 PM

717 posts, read 2,497,238 times
If Asheville's weather is a deal breaker, I don't think anything in New England or East Coast is going to be suitable.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:39 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Denver isn't the place for MBA jobs.
LA and SF Bay Area are the top spots that have what you are looking for and lots of jobs. Seattle might be a possibility as well. San Diego would be close to ideal for what you want outside of jobs, but there are fewer opportunities compared to LA/SF.

Unemployment Rates October 2009:

Boulder- 5.3%
Denver - 6.9%
Seattle - 9.0%
San Diego - 10.5%
San Francisco - 10.6%
Los Angeles - 11.9%

Wrong across the board with those suggestions. It's highly unlikely CA markets are viable for MBA jobs with those numbers. Denver on the other hand had the second lowest unemployment rate of big cities, Washington DC was first with 6.2%.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 12-29-2009, 10:26 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,704,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unemployment Rates October 2009:

Boulder- 5.3%
Denver - 6.9%
Seattle - 9.0%
San Diego - 10.5%
San Francisco - 10.6%
Los Angeles - 11.9%

Wrong across the board with those suggestions. It's highly unlikely CA markets are viable for MBA jobs with those numbers. Denver on the other hand had the second lowest unemployment rate of big cities, Washington DC was first with 6.2%.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Wow, i hate cold weather but those are really good employment numbers these days. I might have to look at relocating out there.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:26 AM

21,196 posts, read 30,388,339 times
The Plains States and Upper Midwest are posting ridiculous numbers. Bismarck at 2.8%, Fargo at 3.5%, Lincoln at 4%, and Omaha at 5.8% for example. It's most shocking that there have been people without jobs for 2 years in cities with 15% unemployment that won't consider moving. And it's not likely to suddenly rebound. Those cities will have a long road back to a normal unemployment rate.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,698,946 times
You thought about East coast and thought Denver was colder? Might want to look into the fact that it is COLDER on the East Coast! Humidity works both ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or