U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,039,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
Idaho of course, the south can keep there bass and catfish, some of the biggest trout, salmon and steelhead in the world live here. Hell, you can even fly fish for 20+ lb chinook salmon in downtown Boise.

I know at one point the record rainbow trout was caught at Henry's Fork in Idaho, that may have been beaten, I'm not sure.
Sounds pretty good. Those salmon and steelhead swim all the way from the Pacific or are they stocked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Wisconsin has some kind of freshwater fishing museum.

Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum - Hayward Wisconsin

Michigan and Minnesota are sometimes mentioned. Along with Idaho and Montana.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,194,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Sounds pretty good. Those salmon and steelhead swim all the way from the Pacific or are they stocked?
Both, Every year they stock some, and some come from the nation. Salmon numbers dwindled to the point of near extinction due to the many dams along the Columbia river, but they are returning.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,971,236 times
Well, I haven't fished much but the only few times I did it was at the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.

It's on the border of NWNJ and NEPA. It's a really beautiful park. It's nestled in the Appalachian mountains mountains (The Kittatinny Mountain Range) and The River itself is beautiful.
Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,469,808 times
Minnesota--Land of 10,000 Lakes

Many area of the state , you can travel 20 miles and have your choice of about 15 different lakes to fish.

Also, Minnesota is perhaps the most " fishernman friendly state " as they all have public access plus the majority have fishing docks/piers built on those lakes for the public.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 AM

20,856 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Whitefish Chain of Lakes, MN
Eagle River Chain of Lakes, WI

Old 05-26-2015, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,278 times
Minnesota is the capital of freshwater fishing. I'm seeing all of these comments of these other states being so great with trout fishing or bass fishing, but Minnesota has it all. Minnesota has excellent largemouth bass fishing in the southern cities as well as the twin cities and central Minnesota too. Walleye are pretty much scattered through out the state too but are most abundant more up in northern part of the state. Trout fishing is great as well as Duluth contains steelhead, brook trout, rainbow trout, brown trout and lake trout. Lake Superior has lake trout, chinook salmon and coho salmon as their are also pink salmon in Minnesota as well. The most popular fish in Minnesota are largemouth and smallmouth bass, crappie and bluegill, musky and northern pike, lake trout up north and of course walleye. There are around 60 different species of fish in Minnesota and all sorts of fishing is wonderful. Fly fishing, charter fishing, shore fishing, dock fishing, boat fishing, ice fishing and straight up fishing.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:24 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,281,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
MI, WI and MN. Hands down.
Yep... I second this as well. These three states can't be beat.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,402,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Yep... I second this as well. These three states can't be beat.
We can agree on this!

Michigan does lack all those amazing trout streams in the Driftless, and there are less lakes than MN or WI. Certainly, there is a huge amount of Great Lakes property.

I would say Wisconsin, which has Lake Superior/Lake Michigan shoreline like Michigan (which also has Huron), more lakes than Michigan, the Mississippi River, etc., takes Michigan overall. Plus Lake Winnebago and its sturgeon and so forth.

Minnesota has some more lakes than Wisconsin, but its Driftless region is much smaller (85% lies within the Wisconsin borders), and it only has a bit of Lake Superior shoreline. Factor in a big state river (Wisconsin), as well...

Overall, I disagree with the poster above - Wisconsin has more overall diversity. However, pretty much nothing in the country can touch some of the border lake areas in Minnesota.

We all win.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Places to Fish - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

NY is pretty good near the Great Lakes and places like the Salmon River, Nine Mile Creek and the Black River are also pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.