U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,016,087 times

Advertisements

I was looking to save some money on my next trip to Miami, so I decided to look at taking the bus. It has been about 10 years since I have taken the Greyhound, but the bus far was over $100 MORE than it was for me to fly!!! I was shocked.

Am I missing something, or is the bus more expensive now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,054,278 times
Buses are still good for medium distance journies. (Though the train is more comfortable in the NE). It is so much easier to take the bus from NYC to Boston, rather than the hassle of flying.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:04 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
With the way that the airlines are going, I might have to start.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM

5,858 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I was looking to save some money on my next trip to Miami, so I decided to look at taking the bus. It has been about 10 years since I have taken the Greyhound, but the bus far was over $100 MORE than it was for me to fly!!! I was shocked.

Am I missing something, or is the bus more expensive now?
Check out Amtrak. They frequently run sales on certain trains.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
In the Northeast there are bus operators that are great alternatives to Greyhound. Megabus and BoltBus, for example, have nice clean buses with wifi, and are cheaper than Greyhound. BoltBus even offers a number of seats on each bus for $1 if you're fast enough to jump on them.

Those operators don't serve Miami, but perhaps there are similar bus companies you can look for service there.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 AM

1,345 posts, read 3,767,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
In the Northeast there are bus operators that are great alternatives to Greyhound. Megabus and BoltBus, for example, have nice clean buses with wifi, and are cheaper than Greyhound. BoltBus even offers a number of seats on each bus for $1 if you're fast enough to jump on them.

Those operators don't serve Miami, but perhaps there are similar bus companies you can look for service there.
I agree. I haven't used these yet, but I've looked at them. Even if you can't grab that $1 seat on Bolt Bus, it still won't cost you more than $15-20. On top of that, there's free wifi on the bus.

Then there's also the Amtrak which isn't bad as far as prices out here. We have the Acela in the NE, but it's overpriced for the time it saves compared to the NE regional.

Of course that's all in the BosWas corridor, but there might be something similar in Miami.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:23 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,596,346 times
After we moved, my older teen (16-17) son used the bus a few times to go back to see his friends. It is cheap enough ($28 for a 3 hour ride....well, 3 hours by car and 4 for the bus.) He felt safe and comfortable. He is now thinking about taking the bus to visit another friend who moved to Texas since it is within a price range he can afford. It isn't the greatest option for everyone, but it still serves lots of people.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:49 AM

180 posts, read 452,983 times
I use Greyhound a few times a year, mostly for shorter trips. I would not like it for a long-multi day journey. Greyhound can be a good option in certain instances.

Greyhound is great if you are traveling from or to a city with no airport or limited airline service. It hits a lot of towns that you cannot fly to. Fares have gone some up over the year with gas prices and other costs. The best deals are found in the 14 day adavnced purchase fares. Then the next cheapest is the 7 day advanced fares. Walk-up fares on day of travel tend to be higher.

Greyhound has saved my butt a few times. Two months ago, I was supposed to depart from Salina, Kansas on a 6am flight to Kansas City on Great Lakes Airlines and then connect to a Delta flight at 10am. The night before, Great Lakes called and told me the flight was canceled. Delta did not care, since it was another airline. Thankfully, there was a 3am bus to KC and I made it to the KC airport in time for the 10am flight.

About three years ago, I was on a bus when we were at a stop and the passengers could get off for 15 minutes. One of the passengers who was ending their trip at that stop accidently took a bag of mine, which I had foolishly put my apartment keys in. When we got to my destination, which was also where the bus was terminating for the night, we found out. Since I had no keys to go home, and my landlord was not available til morning, the bus driver gave up his room at a local hotel for me and went and stayed with a friend in town.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 AM

56,026 posts, read 54,523,130 times
The price vs. flying depends upon from where you are leaving and where you are going.

If there is a big demand for a lot of flights from Point A to Point B, flying is cheap and could be cheaper than the bus or train. If the destination isn't popular from your area, the bus might be cheaper.

I once checked the flights from NY/NJ to Portland, ME so as not to have to make the 6-hour drive and was shocked to see that it was more expensive than flying to Florida. The agent told me that there just isn't as big a demand to fly to Maine so it was pricier.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 PM

374 posts, read 991,262 times
Im taking Greyhound to Texas later this week. $80 from Ohio, but I could of left from Chicago on Amtrak and it would have been $110 and have gotten there faster and more comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or