U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotito View Post
I would like to know where I cand find more parties, fun, safety, girls... So I wish you tell me which ones you would choose or which ones you would never choose and why.
Please excuse me if I am wrong, but judging by your list of schools and requirements (party, girls, fun, safety--not academics) it seems like you don't really have very high test scores, you haven't been accepted into any prestegious universitys, and you don't seem to have much interest in the education part of higher education.

College in the United States for international students is horrendously expensive. You will be here on a J-1 visa with perhaps a 1-year OPT option at the end. Unless you graduate from a leading university at the top of your class and then secure a high-tech job where you are essential, you will have to leave the US after college is done. You won't really gain anything, and you'll waste a lot of your parent's money.

The partying and girls in US universities are pretty much the same all the time; white american girls with bleached blonde hair and orange fake tans "getting down" to 10-year-old house music, and getting drunk enough to sleep with whomever on cheap beer and plastic-bottle vodtka mixed with orange juice in plastic cups. The serious and intelligent students--and the other internationals--will be spending their time hitting the books, so you'll just get to hit lame frat parties with the dregs.

An alternate suggestion: Why not spend your parent's money on a trip to ibiza or a jaunt around the world? You will probably get just as much partying done, there will be better and more varied music/drinks/drugs, you'll meet many different girls from many cultures, and you'll gain lots of experience while also having fun. All without wasting USD 20,000 per year on hassels like professors, classes, schoolbooks, housing, etc.

My apologies if I've misread you and you are interested in your education, but really, if you just want to party at this point in your life, why bother with college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 PM

332 posts, read 689,260 times
I agree with others that Florida State is your best bet. Other good choices among those you listed would be Oklahoma and Montana State. Most of the others would not be good for international students. You'll need a car. Also you should learn about American Football, because a lot of partying revolves around college football. Have fun!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,146,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida State University -> Tallahassee (Florida)
A good party school, decent academic reputation, unsafe campus

Arkansas State University -> Jonesboro (Arkansas)
not good for international student

Delta State University -> Cleveland (Mississippi)

Eastern Kentucky University -> Richmond (Kentucky)

Missouri University of Science & Technology -> Rolla (Missouri)

Missouri State University -> Springfield (Missouri)
decent school, probably a good party scene, safe campus

Morehead State University -> Morehead (Kentucky)

Northwest Missouri State University -> Maryville (Missouri)
decent school, unsure of party scene, safe campus

Southeast Missouri State University -> Cape Girarcleau (Missouri)

Tennessee Technological University -> Cookeville (Tennessee)

University of North Alabama -> Florence (Alabama)

University of North Carolina – Pembroke -> Pembroke (North Carolina)
more of a commuter school with little party scene

University of Wisconsin – River Falls -> River Falls (Wisconsin)

Washburn University -> Topeka (Kansas)

Montana State University -> Bozeman (Montana)
good school, great town, great party scene, safe campus

Oklahoma State University -> Stillwater (Oklahoma)
good school, small college town, good party school, safe campus

Tartelon State University -> Stephenville (Texas)

University of Oklahoma -> Norman (Oklahoma)
good school, larger college town near a big city, party school, safe campus

*Those I labeled not good for international students referred to the fact these schools draw a more regional student base (within a few hundred miles)
and tend to be less sophisticated as some of your other options.

I'd rank your Top 5 choices as follows:

1. Montana State University
2. University of Oklahoma
3. Florida State University
4. Missouri State University
5. Oklahoma State University

Good luck!
River Falls is part of the Twin Cities metro area, why wouldn't it be a good choice for international students? I would be willing to bet there are more international students at UW-RF than there are at Montana State or some of the other schools you're recommending.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Please excuse me if I am wrong, but judging by your list of schools and requirements (party, girls, fun, safety--not academics) it seems like you don't really have very high test scores, you haven't been accepted into any prestegious universitys, and you don't seem to have much interest in the education part of higher education.

College in the United States for international students is horrendously expensive. You will be here on a J-1 visa with perhaps a 1-year OPT option at the end. Unless you graduate from a leading university at the top of your class and then secure a high-tech job where you are essential, you will have to leave the US after college is done. You won't really gain anything, and you'll waste a lot of your parent's money.

The partying and girls in US universities are pretty much the same all the time; white american girls with bleached blonde hair and orange fake tans "getting down" to 10-year-old house music, and getting drunk enough to sleep with whomever on cheap beer and plastic-bottle vodtka mixed with orange juice in plastic cups. The serious and intelligent students--and the other internationals--will be spending their time hitting the books, so you'll just get to hit lame frat parties with the dregs.

An alternate suggestion: Why not spend your parent's money on a trip to ibiza or a jaunt around the world? You will probably get just as much partying done, there will be better and more varied music/drinks/drugs, you'll meet many different girls from many cultures, and you'll gain lots of experience while also having fun. All without wasting USD 20,000 per year on hassels like professors, classes, schoolbooks, housing, etc.

My apologies if I've misread you and you are interested in your education, but really, if you just want to party at this point in your life, why bother with college?
Thats the first thing I thought too. Not exactly great academic schools or partying schools besides for OU OSU and FSU. There are so many better party schools out there like Ohio State, Arizona, USD any large southern school etc..

But I will say no matter what school you go to Harvard, GWU, or Florida State there will be plenty of partying and plenty of girls it is college.

Again from the list you showed FSU is the best choice. But if I was you I would look into some other schools also. Maybe other large state schools or smaller schools on the east coast. If you are doing it just to party spend you money traveling that is a lot more fun. But if you really do want an American Education go for it. But I must say many of these schools wont get you a job right out of college or at least a good job. Even if you come from a top 50 school many people still need graduate education to have any decent job offers.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 AM

16 posts, read 44,412 times
Quote:

I'm a good student and this is my second degree. I have studied abroad too. I have travelled around all Europe, Australia and Mexico. And I go to Ibiza every summer (it's just 30 minutes by airplane from my city and 2 hours by boat). To have parties and meet hot girls doesn't mean that you cannot be a good student. At least for me.

By the way, my home university just offers these universities, so I can't choose another one. I know that there are some better universities. They give me a grant for going to any of these universities, they give money to me every month and they pay the travels.

Thank you.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotito View Post
I'm a good student and this is my second degree. I have studied abroad too. I have travelled around all Europe, Australia and Mexico. And I go to Ibiza every summer (it's just 30 minutes by airplane from my city and 2 hours by boat). To have parties and meet hot girls doesn't mean that you cannot be a good student. At least for me.

By the way, my home university just offers these universities, so I can't choose another one. I know that there are some better universities. They give me a grant for going to any of these universities, they give money to me every month and they pay the travels.

Thank you.
Well thanks for explaining that, I thought it would be something like that.
I must say you should tell your University its choice of US Schools is HORRIBLE. But you have to make the best of what is offered. Again go with FSU or OSU nothing else is good on that list IMO.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:22 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
Okay, good to know. That should help other posters understand and direct you better. Sorry for the incorrect assumptions.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
River Falls is part of the Twin Cities metro area, why wouldn't it be a good choice for international students? I would be willing to bet there are more international students at UW-RF than there are at Montana State or some of the other schools you're recommending.
He never said he wanted to be around other international students, it's chicks and parties he's after.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:10 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Quote:

What's up Buzzkill McGee? Give the guy a break! He just wants to get some liver damage and chase some tail while earning a degree...there's no problem with that!

Quote:
The partying and girls in US universities are pretty much the same all the time; white american girls with bleached blonde hair and orange fake tans "getting down" to 10-year-old house music, and getting drunk enough to sleep with whomever on cheap beer and plastic-bottle vodtka mixed with orange juice in plastic cups.
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Sounds like a fun night to me. I love how you said "getting down" with quotes though haha. The mental picture I have of you right now is absolutely hilarious. Hint: there are suspenders and taped glasses involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Your first time in the US and you want fun, so why did you list small towns in the south? Go up north to Philly, NY, Boston, or somewhere in Cali.
There are some awesome college towns in the South. Tallahassee and Athens, GA are the two best I've ever seen. I've heard Gainesville and Baton Rouge are amazing too. The cities you listed are awesome, and he can visit them whenever he wants...maybe even live in one after college. But spending some time down South for college is (was ) awesome.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-31-2009 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 PM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
A sleeper is Michigan State University. At least it was when I went there for a few years. Another school I went to, SUNY-Oswego is a party school big time, with good Telecommunications, Business/Accounting and Education programs and the girls are decent. A lot of Downstate NYers.

A sleeper for "hot" girls is Brigham Young University, from what I've heard but I highly doubt it is a party school. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or