U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,975,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Sounds like a fun night to me. I love how you said "getting down" with quotes though haha.
Actually, the quotes were to indicate the inability of American college students to really party or dance. After clubbing, raves, and house parties in global hotspots like Ibiza, San Francisco, NYC, Santorini, Shanghai, Bangkok, Berlin, and Los Angeles, college parties in the United States are a bit of a snoozer. About one step above sitting at home and drinking by yourself.

I just wanted to warn the poster that he is likely to be disappointed by the level of "fun" one experiences even in a US "party school." It might be an impressive party scene to a midwesterner fresh out of highschool who has never left their state, but anyone who's ever been part of a real party scene will tell you that what goes on in US colleges just doesn't rate mentioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,767,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Actually, the quotes were to indicate the inability of American college students to really party or dance. After clubbing, raves, and house parties in global hotspots like Ibiza, San Francisco, NYC, Santorini, Shanghai, Bangkok, Berlin, and Los Angeles, college parties in the United States are a bit of a snoozer. About one step above sitting at home and drinking by yourself.

I just wanted to warn the poster that he is likely to be disappointed by the level of "fun" one experiences even in a US "party school." It might be an impressive party scene to a midwesterner fresh out of highschool who has never left their state, but anyone who's ever been part of a real party scene will tell you that what goes on in US colleges just doesn't rate mentioning.
Having experienced both the city nightclub scenes you mention (yawn....) and having gone to a great academic school with fun parties and extremely hot girls I can say you are off base My cousin came down to visit me from NY and spent years going to the "trendy" nightspots there. After a night of wild partying at A&M he said it was better than anything he had done at the clubs up there. he is now married to this hot fox and hound waitress (she is an attorney now)

I will take the girls at most big state Universities over any of those big city night club scenes full of fake people.

I mean every time I went to a nightclub, whether it was in NY or LA or wherever, it was the same old conversation, drunk girl wanting to go have sex, people acting like A list stars and going coke.... like I said, YAWN

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,566,278 times
Quote:
I'm sure all those places are amazing. I'm actually attempting to move overseas at the moment so hopefully I'll get to experience some of the international locations you mentioned.

P.S. I didn't realize they were big into clubbing in China.

Quote:
I just wanted to warn the poster that he is likely to be disappointed by the level of "fun" one experiences even in a US "party school."
How do you know what the OP likes to do? From what I've experienced in cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, and Denver, partying is relatively similar regardless of region. College parties I've gone to in Vermont, New Hampshire, Boston, Amherst, Clemson, Charleston, Athens (Georgia), and West Lafayette (Indiana) have all been different than partying in big cities, but not any less fun.

Quote:
It might be an impressive party scene to a midwesterner fresh out of highschool who has never left their state, but anyone who's ever been part of a real party scene will tell you that what goes on in US colleges just doesn't rate mentioning.
Since when was Boston located in the Midwest? I don't know why you need to attempt the personal attack towards me in response to what was obviously an attempt at humor on my part.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:47 AM

152 posts, read 172,529 times
Florida State University -> Tallahassee (Florida)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:34 AM

I'm glad the OP has a chance to study in America. I hope he enjoys what colleges in the US have to offer and finds everything to his liking.

As for the debate: No need to get your knickers in a twist. You [a collective "you"] are allowed to disagree with me, and I certainly disagree with you. To the poster who sees personal insults everywhere; I did not mean to suggest that you, personally, are from a small town. Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with being a midwesterner from a small town and being agog at the comparitively awesome parties, as opposed to what one knew in highschool or whatever. There's just a lot more out there. I only mean to illustrate that college parties certainly aren't the end-all of the global party scene, and in fact are quite low on the totem. I'm glad somebody out there found happiness at the bottom of a beer keg or tatty puke-stained frat couch.

We [meaning me and another poster] have common ground when it comes to your disdain for everyday nightclubs like The Viper Room or The Ruby Lounge in Hollywood, E3 in Shanghai, or the entire Meat Packing District in NYC or anything downtown in Bangkok. The "after-workers" who head to the various meat markets hoping to score for the night are something you get over real quick. Even worse are the expats (or tourists) taking advantage of their status to give their countrymen a bad name.

The party scene I refer to consists of places like Das Bunker in LA, Slimelight in London, or The Shelter in Shanghai--at least on a good night. House parties in sombody's $2Mil mansion WITHOUT the 18-year-old sorority contingent in San Diego, raves past sunrise on the Naxos beaches. There are subcultures out there who literally live for the pleasure sex, drugs, and rock/trance/metal/industrial n' roll. The Monday - to - Monday crowd are a wild bunch and a lot of fun to be around. Though you do have to unplug eventually or you'll end up a waste.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,721,085 times
Penn State!! One of the safest towns in the country, parties, girls, football, 22 bars in town. I should warn you, however, that there is absolutely nothing in central PA other than State College and a few cows.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,566,278 times
Quote:
To the poster who sees personal insults everywhere; I did not mean to suggest that you, personally, are from a small town.
Haha, that's my bad. When I posted that it was midnight on Saturday and Boston was getting a pretty solid snowstorm. As a result, I locked myself into my house and drank beers while playing videogames with a friend. I was sensing hostility that apparently wasn't there.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,707 times
Morehead State is the bomb, man! You will love it there!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,707 times
Especially if you like the drums. Check out their drumline and one of their drummers:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKyTzNVyyvg]Morehead State's Drumline - Fubar '11 - YouTube[/url]

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBsNOl4NRk]Improvised Drumming - YouTube[/url]

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Haha, that's my bad. When I posted that it was midnight on Saturday and Boston was getting a pretty solid snowstorm. As a result, I locked myself into my house and drank beers while playing videogames with a friend. I was sensing hostility that apparently wasn't there.
Hey Boston tmac: Are you still around? I'm stuck in your town for a few more months and I can't find a decent club to save my life. Hopefully it's because I'm waaaay out in Snorelem (Salem). Got any suggestions? We're moving to Slummerville in the hopes of finding SOMETHING that stays open past MIDNIGHT on a WEEKEND. Is there any place in this town to party 'till dawn? Or at least a place that's lively from midnight-3/4AM? Seriously, 10PM is too freaking early to get my crap together to go out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or