Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 18,503 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am going to soon be driving from Virginia Beach, VA to Houston, TX. I was wondering if anyone might know of a scenic route between these places. Please let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
The quickest route will take you down the coastal plain through Atlanta and then over. It's pretty boring. If you don't mind going out of your way a bit but still taking a reasonable route, head over to Roanoke, pick up I-81 and take that south into Knoxville. From there, take I-75 to Chattanooga where you'll pick up I-59. You'll see some nice topography pretty much the entire route from Roanoke into Birmingham. Continuing on I-59 south, the landscape flattens out a bit after Birmingham, but is still green and forested as you continue south to where you'll connect with I-10 in southern Mississippi. Unfortunately, from there on, I-10 west is pretty ugly all the way across Louisiana and into Houston but it's unavoidable.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 18,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The quickest route will take you down the coastal plain through Atlanta and then over. It's pretty boring. If you don't mind going out of your way a bit but still taking a reasonable route, head over to Roanoke, pick up I-81 and take that south into Knoxville. From there, take I-75 to Chattanooga where you'll pick up I-59. You'll see some nice topography pretty much the entire route from Roanoke into Birmingham. Continuing on I-59 south, the landscape flattens out a bit after Birmingham, but is still green and forested as you continue south to where you'll connect with I-10 in southern Mississippi. Unfortunately, from there on, I-10 west is pretty ugly all the way across Louisiana and into Houston but it's unavoidable.
Great... thanks!!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:29 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Don't go that way. Go west from VA Beach to Little Rock, AR and south on I-30 and 59 into Houston. It adds about two extra hours to your trip, but it's worth it, in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Don't go that way. Go west from VA Beach to Little Rock, AR and south on I-30 and 59 into Houston. It adds about two extra hours to your trip, but it's worth it, in my opinion.
We all have our own preferences. I'm sure your route is lovely as well.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If you want a scenic trip, stay as far as possible from the Interstates, and even avoid the US highways. Take any state highway that seems to be going in the right direction, and you'll see plenty of scenery

The biggest limiter will be that fact that there are only five bridges across the Mississippi between Memphis and Baton Rouge. Sadly, the last ferry between Kentucky and New Orleans has been discontinued, so you don't even get that scenic option anymore.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-21-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 04:52 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
We all have our own preferences. I'm sure your route is lovely as well.
I wasn't trying to be offensive, but the only reason I recommended my way is so the OP could enjoy the Appalachians but avoid I-10 (which we can both agree is a bit of an eyesore). 59 through Texas is rather sleepy, but still quite pleasant, going through the forests and soft rolling hills.

Either way, Virginia to Houston isn't going to be much but trees after trees after trees.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you want a scenic trip, stay as far as possible from the Interstates, and even avoid the US highways. Take any state highway that seems to be going in the right direction, and you'll see plenty of scenery

The biggest limiter will be that fact that there are only five bridges across the Mississippi between Memphis and Baton Rouge. Sadly, the last ferry between Kentucky and New Orleans has been discontinued, so you don't even get that scenic option anymore.
Exactly! There are some really beautiful areas and cool little towns in the South if you take those little 2 lanes. So much nicer than the Cracker Barrel- and Waffle House-studded interstates.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
My recommendation is take I-64 west to I-81 south, then take I-40 to I-30, then travel south on I-45. That'll take you through most of the Southern Appalachians and some of the Ouachita Mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.