Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,495 times

Advertisements

I am completely new to this site, so I have no idea if I am posting in the right area/doing this correctly...
I am 21 years old, graduating college (Spring Hill in Mobile, AL) in May. I lived in a microscopic town an hour south of New Orleans my entire life until college, and have not traveled much at all. I have absolutely NO idea where to live/what to do when I graduate and I am petrified. I will be on a VERY tight budget and am looking for any and all advice on the best places for someone my age to live and work. (I am a marketing/management major.) Low crime (since I will probably be living alone,) and cheap housing are major priorities. I would rather not be completely across the country from my mother in Louisiana, but I'm not objecting to something further than Mobile. I am SO lost. ANY suggestions would be fantastic, THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM

484 posts, read 1,584,095 times
Are you planning to buy or rent? What's your budget range? I can maybe help you, but it depends on a few factors (like what your housing plans are).

Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times
I'm not exactly sure how far from Louisiana you're willing to go, but Houston and Atlanta aren't too far away and are very affordable for big cities, and both cities have lots to offer, including many safe neighborhoods and decent job markets. If you're looking for smaller cities, Huntsville might be a good choice. It's safe, affordable, and I hear it's a great place to live and work. If you're willing to go further, Indianapolis, Columbus, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Nashville, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio are all nice cities that have many affordable options. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM

332 posts, read 772,553 times
I would stay close to college, where people will be familiar with the school, you can network with alumni, and you will hopefully have some friends nearby. Just keep it simple and find a job close to friends/family.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
It doesn't really meet your requirements, but I'm going to throw it out there as an option to consider all the same: what about Washington DC? It's a quick plane ride to Louisiana, and while not a cheap city, it's also very accommodating for young new professionals. There's even dorm-like housing available at relatively affordable prices, like this place. (keep in mind the fact that salaries will fluctuate with location, too, so you may be able to afford more in a bigger city if your salary is also a higher) The influx of young people from around the country (and world) may make it easier to make friends, and the economy there is pretty good compared to many parts of the country. It would be a fun place to start a career. I think DC is an excellent place for young people just starting out, and with three airports within easy distance you can usually find affordable plane tickets, and the time to get back to Louisiana might equal whatever it would take to drive from some of the other places.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I feel like I don't know enough about what you want to really recommend anything, but then again I only ever go by statistics.

Arkansas is just north of Louisiana and I'm originally from Northwest Arkansas. I've heard Fayetteville, Arkansas is a good college town and its crime rate looks around average. Its murder rate looks low. Bentonville looks below average for crime. Its grown a good deal since I lived there as a boy, but I think it's still fairly affordable.

Athens, Georgia does well on some economic lists and its violent crime rate doesn't look too bad. It might be further than you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.