U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,280,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think Colorado is a no brainer for you. Very sunny, very warm, winters are mild, but still lots of snow to have fun in. Just stay away from Denver and Boulder to keep your housing price down.
Any particular areas of Colorado that you would suggest? I've looked around Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs...seems kind of pricey, except for tract housing. I am open to Colorado if you can point me in the right direction. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
Well if you are willing to take those suggestions then perhaps Omaha could work?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:07 AM

139 posts, read 407,253 times
I would suggest looking at Virginia too, particularly the area around Richmond

Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 AM

726 posts, read 1,870,166 times
Will you need to find jobs or are you one of those lucky people with a work from home situation that allows you to live anywhere? Once you get outside of all the major cities (Col Spr, Den, Bou, Ft Coll) housing prices drop exponentially. Anywhere East of the cities is always cheaper and has more land than West. Also a note, while a lot of the houses in the immediate suburbs wouldn't fit your land requirement with all the parks and recreation so close a lot of people do not mind smaller plots.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:54 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post

We have looked in Colorado in the past...mainly around Colorado Springs, but housing seems expensive if you want any elbow room. We really don't want cookie cutter housing. We like space!

I am still open to other suggestions!
Space and cheap don't go together in CO, unless you want barren plains far from the cities.

Winter here can be harsh "at times", but you get breaks from it. It's not constant, but can occur anytime between October and May.

The vibe I get from you tells me that Colorado isn't the place for you.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 AM

484 posts, read 1,400,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Thanks for the input! I guess a lot of people agree on North Carolina. LOL I will give it some serious thought.
I started looking a bit at the real estate and North Carolina is definitely pretty and green!

Are there any "negatives" about North Carolina I should know about? I realize "negative" is all perspective, but I would like to hear what others would consider negative about it.

We have looked in Colorado in the past...mainly around Colorado Springs, but housing seems expensive if you want any elbow room. We really don't want cookie cutter housing. We like space!

I am still open to other suggestions!
We lived in North Carolina for about a year. There were definitely pro's and con's. A lot of it depends on your family dynamic/situation though. If you don't have children, and don't plan to, then some of these may not apply to you.

The pro's are.. North Carolina is very green. Also, there's the mountains within a few hours, and the beaches within a few hours (depending on where you live..I was basing it off of Raleigh) so the balance is great. The school systems in Wake Forest are great. The cost of living is relatively low (depending on where you compare it to).

The con's are...there are high crime areas. We lived in North Raleigh/Wake Forest and the crime wasn't bad, but going towards Durham, and then even further into Burlington, Greensboro, etc. just wasn't good. Lots of crime, terrible schools, etc. I'd highly recommend staying in the Raleigh/Wake Forest area. Also, parts of NC were pretty dirty, compared to where I'm from (Texas and Utah).

If you need more information, feel free to let me know!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,567,771 times
North Carolina is a three season climate: Summer, Fall, and Spring, but no Winter. Snow is rare, if not non-existent. The exception is the high mountains of Western NC, but then that is just like East Tennessee.

It sounds like most of Michigan would work for you. Four seasons, non-harsh winters, beautiful summers. It sounds like you'd enjoy the Grand Rapids area.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:30 AM

904 posts, read 1,635,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
North Carolina is a three season climate: Summer, Fall, and Spring, but no Winter. Snow is rare, if not non-existent. The exception is the high mountains of Western NC, but then that is just like East Tennessee.

It sounds like most of Michigan would work for you. Four seasons, non-harsh winters, beautiful summers. It sounds like you'd enjoy the Grand Rapids area.
Not harsh Winters in Michigan? I disagree!

Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Will you need to find jobs or are you one of those lucky people with a work from home situation that allows you to live anywhere? Once you get outside of all the major cities (Col Spr, Den, Bou, Ft Coll) housing prices drop exponentially. Anywhere East of the cities is always cheaper and has more land than West. Also a note, while a lot of the houses in the immediate suburbs wouldn't fit your land requirement with all the parks and recreation so close a lot of people do not mind smaller plots.
Well, we're kind of in the middle I guess. We currently own a carpet cleaning and water restoration business and we're kind of hoping to do the same elsewhere. Therefore, we don't have to be right inside a large city, but close proximity would be good, or at least a decent sized town would be ok too.
We just wanted a little bit of land in case we decide to have a horse or???

Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM

My husband was born and raised in Michigan (Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids). He says that's more snow and cold than he wants to go back to. lol

It's gorgeous there, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.