U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 PM

484 posts, read 1,401,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
North Carolina is a three season climate: Summer, Fall, and Spring, but no Winter. Snow is rare, if not non-existent. The exception is the high mountains of Western NC, but then that is just like East Tennessee.

It sounds like most of Michigan would work for you. Four seasons, non-harsh winters, beautiful summers. It sounds like you'd enjoy the Grand Rapids area.
We lived in North Carolina for a year. That winter, it snowed at least 3 times in Raleigh. Snow is not rare there, trust me. Just a few weeks ago they had another snow storm. It snows at least once a year there, from what I'm told and experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:36 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,012,935 times
St. Louis area. Four equal seasons, affordable homes.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:17 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Maybe places like Knoxville Tennessee, Lexington and Louisville Kentucky, Columbus Ohio, Omaha Nebraska, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Roanoke Virginia and Asheville NC would work.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
We lived in North Carolina for a year. That winter, it snowed at least 3 times in Raleigh. Snow is not rare there, trust me. Just a few weeks ago they had another snow storm. It snows at least once a year there, from what I'm told and experienced.
Three times a YEAR? It snows at least three times a WEEK in Michigan from Nov-Mar. Only snowing 1-3 times a year is extremely rare, at least by northern standards.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,707,288 times
How about Texas or Oklahoma if you want to stay in the midwest? Not sure if that technically counts as the midwest or not. I know Texas is warm. Oklahoma might be a bit windy but is not super cold. Southern Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia all have pretty good weather and are relatively cheap as far as I am aware of. These states have some extremely conservative parts, so if you dislike Republicans you might have some problems.

Pittsburgh is fairly cheap as the previous poster mentioned, but i thought you said you wanted mild weather?? Pittsburgh winter is cold and dreary, although not as bad as the upper Midwest.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,633,300 times
Lots of people really love the Carolinas. If I had a job there, I think it would be a beautiful affordable place to live.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 AM

444 posts, read 1,029,689 times
You dont get snow in NC and it is very humid in summer. Any of the states above NC are affordable, and get snow. Plus Virginia has some pretty good schools. Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 AM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think Colorado is a no brainer for you. Very sunny, very warm, winters are mild, but still lots of snow to have fun in. Just stay away from Denver and Boulder to keep your housing price down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
Yeah, I think Colorado is a great option too. The winters are harsh, but they don't last past March.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Any particular areas of Colorado that you would suggest? I've looked around Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs...seems kind of pricey, except for tract housing. I am open to Colorado if you can point me in the right direction. lol
I agree with David Aguilar that Colorado doesn't seem to have the right vibe for you. However, for others on this thread that are thinking about Colorado, I don't think the housing prices in CO are all *that* expensive, certainly not compared to the coasts, or even to some of the larger midwestern cities, e.g. Chicago and Minneapolis.

If you eliminate Denver and Boulder, you eliminate most of the job opportunities.

Colorado's winters are not harsh, IMO, but then I moved to CO from Illinois and grew up in PA. However, the CO winters are long if you count from first snow to last snow. There are lots of warm, sunny snow free periods between snowstorms, especially in the spring and fall.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM

726 posts, read 1,871,337 times
I'll stand by my view that Colorado would work. Especially now knowing they're interested in potentially owning a horse. I don't think it would work if being by the mountains was important but moving to CO wouldn't be as far (from where they are now) as some of the other places mentioned. You get a nice dose of all the seasons and some of the Eastern areas are super affordable but as everyone always suggests a visit to some places never hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.