U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 AM

2,800 posts, read 9,089,853 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move in the near future, however, we cannot seem to find our "perfect" place. Not that "perfect" actually exists, but we're trying to find the closest place to it.

We really are not bound by certain areas of the country, but have been leaning toward the Midwest, however, we're open to anything. I would just like to get some input from other people across the country to see what we can come up with.

We have been looking around Indianapolis (family is afraid it may be TOO COLD), Dallas (not enough snow for me) and I've even looked at Eastern Tennessee but my family isn't thrilled with that area.

We currently live in the EXTREMELY HOT and DRY Arizona desert.

Here is some of the criteria we are looking for:

Weather:
We really want FOUR seasons. We would like SOME snow, but we do not want 6 months of freezing weather. We're hoping for a good mixture of Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter, but not too harsh of winter. The summer heat isn't too much of a factor...we live where it's 125 in the summer...we can handle any heat out there, just afraid we'll freeze our behinds off in the winters. LOL Would really prefer VERY MINIMAL WIND...I hate the wind!

Real Estate:
MUST be reasonable/cheap. We can't afford California prices. Would like to be able to find a decent (not elaborate) home on a half acre or more for less than $150,000

Schools:
Schools don't have to be perfect, but definitely half way decent. We have one that will be a Sophomore next year and the other in 4th grade

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM

484 posts, read 1,363,450 times
Maybe North Carolina? I know they have four seasons (although their winters are mild). Decent schools in Raleigh (primarily the Wake Forest/North Raleigh schools are great), semi-low crime (stay away from Durham), and good housing prices.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:28 AM

904 posts, read 1,586,015 times
^ Yeah, I was going to say North Carolina as well. Seems like a good match. If you want 4 seasons without really harsh Winters, that's a great place.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 AM

613 posts, read 1,962,859 times
I'll get on the NC bandwagon too. Although summers may be an adjustment since you'll be going to hot and humid which is very different than mega hot, but dry.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

726 posts, read 1,810,437 times
I think Colorado is a no brainer for you. Very sunny, very warm, winters are mild, but still lots of snow to have fun in. Just stay away from Denver and Boulder to keep your housing price down.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 AM

3,406 posts, read 8,977,149 times
Yes, possibly the Western side of NC in the mountains, but I'm also thinking maybe WV or even parts of VA.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:00 PM

484 posts, read 1,363,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
I think Colorado is a no brainer for you. Very sunny, very warm, winters are mild, but still lots of snow to have fun in. Just stay away from Denver and Boulder to keep your housing price down.
Yeah, I think Colorado is a great option too. The winters are harsh, but they don't last past March.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,877,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlonde View Post
Yeah, I think Colorado is a great option too. The winters are harsh, but they don't last past March.
Many places in Colorado get snow into May.

As for the OP, have you guys thought about Pittsburgh? Winters there are decently mild, but they still get snow in winter. The scenery is gorgeous, its full of greenery, and offers big-city amenities.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:32 PM

63 posts, read 76,291 times
I second the North Carolina idea. Schools are pretty good (not the best but far from the worst). The climate is pretty good and although the winters are very mild, but there is still four distinct seasons. I've lived in Asheville and I loved it! Beautiful scenery, and it's not like you're living out in the sticks..it's a decent sized town.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,089,853 times
Thanks for the input! I guess a lot of people agree on North Carolina. LOL I will give it some serious thought.
I started looking a bit at the real estate and North Carolina is definitely pretty and green!

Are there any "negatives" about North Carolina I should know about? I realize "negative" is all perspective, but I would like to hear what others would consider negative about it.

We have looked in Colorado in the past...mainly around Colorado Springs, but housing seems expensive if you want any elbow room. We really don't want cookie cutter housing. We like space!

I am still open to other suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.