U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 AM

3 posts, read 18,089 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I know, not another question of where to move! I have approximately one week to decide whether to move my family to Boise or Portland. My husband is being relocated from Southern California and we have two children ages 2 and 5 1/2. Schools and quality of life is most important but I cannot pinpoint where is better. Here is my dilemma;

I like Boise and have just visited within the last two weeks, so I have a good feeling as to the vibe of the city, etc. People appeared to be very nice and friendly. After visiting downtown, Star, Eagle, Meridian and the Harris Ranch area, we have decided on the latter should we move there.

On the other hand,

I have not visited Portland in the last 20 years and am concerned about the big-cityness, rain and crime. My husband would work in Tualatin and since I haven't really been there I have no idea what the vibe is and/or where to live. What has me curious about Portland is the art community and the what appears to be a more liberal lifestyle.

I know the two are quite opposite, but does anybody just have any good advice.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 07:20 AM

505 posts, read 1,954,592 times
Default Go to Boise

The schools in Oregon are in really bad shape right now, with no good future outsome as far as I can see. I have a 7 and 9 yr old, adn have family in Portland. I moved 9 months ago from Southern Oregon, and had an aunt who worked in the Beaverton Oregon (suburb of Portland) school distict. Neither of us had good experiences with the schools. Portland is a great city... as far as cities go, I'd live there before most cities in the US, but if you have kids, I'd go to Boise. I think the housing market is better in Boise.

Here's a few websites to research schools.

http://www.greatschools.net/school/research.page

http://www.schoolmatters.com/ (broken link)

http://www.publicschoolreview.com/

We live in the midwest now, due to family illness and job advancement. The schools here are great, but I'd love to move back West eventually, and Idaho and Montana are high on my list.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:48 AM

786 posts, read 4,318,512 times
Portland is green and rainy and Boise is more dusty and dry. Portand has more white collar jobs and Boise is still a working class city. If your husband wants a new white collar professional job someday, there will be opportunity in Portland.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 AM

1,716 posts, read 3,635,731 times
(Boise is high tech). Strong economy.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 28,979 times
I was born and raised in Portland, Maywood Park then near Alpenrose. Portland has changed much in the ?? years ;~). So has the news media. Stupid things I did as a punk kid would be lead stories today but it was a differant culture then. Our Gov. said "Visit and go home".
You can still find small town Oregon in St. Paul, Carlton, Yamhill, Mulino Mollala, Sandy and the commute will be much more relaxed than S.Cal. if you go west of PDX (not HWY 26) or south seems how Tualatin will be base. Boise will soon be like Portland on a smaller scale, sprall. I have friends there that tell me it's growing to quickly, but that is the cost of growing older and remembering whats gone. Also consider this, in the Willamette Valley you are in a GREEN valley, you are 2 hours to the ski slopes, 3 hours to Central Oregon(Bend), and 2 hours to the Oregon Coast where the beaches are all public.

Don't get me wrong Boise is very nice and the changes there are good for the family coming from another area like So. Cal. but my 'aina is closer to the sea. I've tried living other places but it does not feel right. There's only one place I'd rather be and it's too late there also.

Happy Hunting and Good Luck.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,527 posts, read 39,903,732 times
Culturally Boise is a nice family town, definately drier, but has some redeeming qualities and good friendly support. It is pretty conservative, but I consider it more tolerant to all. I feel it would be more 'supportive'. There are a lot of transplants there. You will spend more time outdoors in Boise.

Portland is green and pretty, and quite liberal, it is not too tolerant of conservatives, but a 'haven' for left leaners. It would be broader in 'artsy' culture. And accessibility to variety of activities and 'further education' (lots of colleges)

I would feel better about the schools in Boise, but you will need to check this for your particular interest. There is a probability that students in Portland get more liberal indoctrination and Boise more conservative. Both areas are pretty heavy into suburbia. In Boise you can see houses for miles (tho downtown is nice and treed) In Portland the trees mask the tracts, but traffic is a challenge. Taxes might be an issue if you are in your 'earning years', consider WA? (tho you have to work there too!)

Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM

347 posts, read 1,414,478 times
I have friends in Eagle and Meridian and they love it there. Boise seems like a really nice little city. It is definitely drier than Oregon, but most every place is.
My only problem with Boise is that it's way off the beaten track. It's not near anyplace. Even Salt Lake is 5 hours away.
Having lived in Portland, it is a cool place. My sister in law and parents in law both live in Tualatin. There's not much crime. Schools are decent. Sherwood, which is just west of Tualatin, has decent schools, but I think they are getting crowded due to the large number of kids.
All in all, I think Boise would be a great place to raise a family. Small enough that it has a homey atmosphere, but not so small that you'll go crazy. (Well, maybe a little crazy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or