U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,756,281 times

Advertisements

Well maybe Berea or Paducah would work but my first reaction to your post is "they want all this culture in a small town and then they expect it to be cheap?"

Because what you are describing is utopia .... everyone wants to live in utopia so the prices go up, supply, demand... etc. Visit Asheville for an example.

I hesitate to say this but maybe I should suggest South Knoxville. You are close to all the culture of downtown but it has a very rural feel. Ok I'll go ahead and say it cause I live here ... redneck feel. Because of the down-home image the prices are cheap (relatively). But surprisingly there's even a Montessouri school here - Mead montessouri.

I suppose Chattanooga has a comparable neighborhood where the amenities outrank the image. That's where you'll find good deals.

P.S. - look into Southlake RV park for camping in South Knox. A little bit of traffic noise but very convenient location on the lake. They have tent sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
Want some input: My husband and I have a long-term goal of moving from Michigan in the next 2 years. We can't seem to agree on where to focus our efforts but my husband really has his heart set on either Tennessee or Kentucky. I would like to get opinions on what these two areas of the country are like. I realize most people like to post about the economy and job markets but that is not what I am asking about. Here is what we are looking for: a small to mid sized town (within a 45 minute drive to a larger city/town with a college/hospital would be ideal) fantastic schools (montessori if possible), affordable housing with land or at the least a very large lot. Most importantly, we want a place to live with some culture, good restaurants, theater, food co-op, a good bookstore, and plenty of access to outdoor activities. We love to hike, camp, fish, ski and just being outside all year long. We want a place to raise our kids where they will have both culture and a love of the outdoors. Any places in Tennessee or Kentucky fit the bill in your opinion?
Yes, it sounds like the outskirts of Cookeville or Crossville, TN would be good matches. The outdoor activities in those areas are numerous. The climate is mild (four season), I recommend Cumberland State Park, Fall Creek Falls, Cookeville has a hosiptal as well as a college, and the countryside has amazing scenery. (A mixture of woods and horse farms.)

Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 PM

171 posts, read 415,696 times
creeksitter your comment made me smirk. you are right on the mark with the "everybody wants utopia" remark. I will check out the areas u suggested for sure.
Crossville has come up too from some family friends. sounds like its worth checking out. montessori schooling would be a big plus for us as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm assuming there is a directory of Montessouri schools, that will help in your search.

I also wanted to mention TVA operates campgrounds in E TN.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:18 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Both states are breathtakingly beautiful. My personal choice would be Franklin, TN, a gorgeous community outside of Nashville. Other cities/towns in the states that I like:

Nashville
Louisville
Lexington
Murphreesboro (30 mi from Nashville)
Chattanooga
Cleveland (30 mi from Chattanooga)

Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM

I was thinking about Franklin as well, but it's one of those utopias that's not exactly cheap.

Cleveland is pretty conservative, that's not a vibe I associate with montessouri schools.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM

171 posts, read 415,696 times
can anyone tell me a little about Berea KY? I know it's a little art community with a college but what else? Good schools? things like Target, movie theatre, bookstore? Good place to raise a family? Any outdoor recreation near by like hiking, fishing?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Berea

City of Berea, Kentucky

Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 PM

122 posts, read 362,985 times
I really like Eastern Tennessee a lot. The Knoxville area is my 2nd home. I have been visiting that area (Gatlinburg, Cosby, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville, Etc) for the past 12+ years and have been up there at least 13 or 14 times... several of those times were for 2+ weeks. It's such a beautiful area and I love it there. I'd live in Knoxville if I could, but the job market in my field is very very very slim there.

As for Kentucky... I've been through there several times as well as stayed there during a trip and I didn't like it. It's just a little too rural for my tastes. Those "parkway" roads (which are similar to interstates) just completely freak me out and I will never go on another one again... Ugh!

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
In breaking news, all places have culture, just maybe not the kind you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or