U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,195,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I was thinking about Franklin as well, but it's one of those utopias that's not exactly cheap.

Cleveland is pretty conservative, that's not a vibe I associate with montessouri schools.
You are correct on both counts, but Cleveland actually does have a Montessori school.

www.montessorikinder.com/ International Childcare and School / Cleveland / Tennessee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 PM

20,886 posts, read 36,081,401 times
Eastern Tennessee is not bad overall given the insanely cheap cost of living. I didn't particularly care for the super highway that runs through Knoxville. West of Knoxville feels much more Appalachian to me as soon as you gain elevation on the Cumberland Plateau. In fact, it looks a bit like NH with all the White Pines, Pitch Pines, Oaks, and Maples there. Cookeville was also suprisingly nice, especially the Downtown area. The rural northeastern sections appeared to be much poorer with many people living in the country. (High population density given the limited number of job opportunities there).

Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 AM

11,921 posts, read 33,016,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Eastern Tennessee is not bad overall given the insanely cheap cost of living. I didn't particularly care for the super highway that runs through Knoxville. West of Knoxville feels much more Appalachian to me as soon as you gain elevation on the Cumberland Plateau. In fact, it looks a bit like NH with all the White Pines, Pitch Pines, Oaks, and Maples there. Cookeville was also suprisingly nice, especially the Downtown area. The rural northeastern sections appeared to be much poorer with many people living in the country. (High population density given the limited number of job opportunities there).
I'm glad to see you bring up Cookeville. It's one of the nicest smaller towns in the area (and that includes Kentucky). It's home to a mid-major university that is NOT a party school (it's full of engineers), it's got two symphonies, a children's museum, historical museums, a half-dozen art galleries, a Montessori school, outstanding public schools (Cookeville High is one of only 6-7 in the state with the International Baccalaureate Program), a large hospital with one of the 5 largest heart centers in the state, big box retail as well as a thriving downtown with mom-and-pop shops, excellent independent restaurants and cafés, a large farmers market, and on and on. It's surrounded by gorgeous state parks, beautiful lakes, waterfalls, gorges, and it's only an hour from Nashville's airport which has the lowest air fares in the state (it's a hub for Southwest Airlines).

Crossville is also not a bad option, but it's got very mediocre schools and is much more popular with retirees than young families, and pretty much the only retail in Crossville is Wal-Mart and KMart.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM

171 posts, read 416,775 times
wow- cookeville sounds like a real possibility. we will absolutely check it out when we do our visit in June. I like the fact that it is slightly closer to family friends we have in Kentucky. It's tough moving away from everyone you know especially when you have young kids but I feel like it is really something we need to do for personal reasons. I am in the health care field and my husband is in the restaurant business so I don't think we should have too much issue with finding jobs in most areas or at least that is the hope. Obviously we would have jobs lined up first.

Last edited by JMT; 02-22-2012 at 02:53 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 PM

6,575 posts, read 13,803,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Dude! The problem is, you sit there and consistantly bash NKY/Cincinnati. You say what you want without looking up the stats. You fail to realize that Cincinnati (city proper is growing), Cincinnati metro area is growing, Butler and Warren Counties (on the Ohio side are rapidly growing), and Hamilton County (Cincinnati) is also growing. Last I check, Jefferson County (Louisville) was declining in population.

Central Kentucky is experiencing that growing due to sprawl. Thats not the best thing. That means you are seeing and exodus of people leaving Louisville. Louisville has smart growth growing on, but after L'ville, Convington/Newport have the most development going on in Kentucky. Lexington's new tallest is now a field that floods when it rains.

I don't know. Maybe it bothers you to see the amount of construction going on in Cincinnati, the culture, the diversity, the billions being invested downtown. I don't bash Kentucky to make SW Ohio look better. But you certainly bash Cincinnati to make Louisville and Lexington look better. I do not talk bad about Kentucky, unless usually YOU talk bad about Ohio.

Its quite ammusing reading your comments.

First off, Spencer County is in Louisville metro, not central KY. It is among the fastest growing counties in the US, as is Boone.

Beavercreek, your stats are actually way off. Louisville/Jefferson County is gaining population while Cincinnati/hamilton is still losing or possibly holding about even. This is a moot point though. Both are great towns and their metros are growing at exactly the same rate. For a awhile the estimate was Louisville was growing faster in metro but in the past year the estimates put that right almost dead equal. We'll have to wait until December to see for sure.

hamilton County has way less people now than it did in 1970:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_County,_Ohio

They are estimating a small gain for the county this decade but I do not buy it. We'll see when the census comes out.

Despite its messed up schools situation, Louisville/Jefferson is at its all time high and is growing much faster than Hamilton, Ohio, which is still a victim of population loss to literally every county surrounding it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_County,_Kentucky

hamilton county is roughly 22 square miles larger in land area than Jefferson, KY. Making those adjustments, we can see that Cincy is really only 100k larger than Louisville: it is the surrounding counties that drive the metro population to be sunstantially higher than that of Louisville.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-18-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 AM

871 posts, read 1,961,941 times
there is nowhere to ski in tennessee or kentucky.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:46 PM

11,921 posts, read 33,016,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
there is nowhere to ski in tennessee or kentucky.
I assume you mean snow skiing.

While not terrific, there is snow skiing in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/...94db24d8f0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/...c3084eae7d.jpg

Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM

20,886 posts, read 36,081,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I assume you mean snow skiing.

While not terrific, there is snow skiing in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/...94db24d8f0.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3155/...c3084eae7d.jpg
Also, nearby western North Carolina has skiing. Beech Mountain is a nice area and you could definitely do some cross country skiing out on the trails in the natl forest lands near Boone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or