U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 AM

171 posts, read 415,696 times

Advertisements

Want some input: My husband and I have a long-term goal of moving from Michigan in the next 2 years. We can't seem to agree on where to focus our efforts but my husband really has his heart set on either Tennessee or Kentucky. I would like to get opinions on what these two areas of the country are like. I realize most people like to post about the economy and job markets but that is not what I am asking about. Here is what we are looking for: a small to mid sized town (within a 45 minute drive to a larger city/town with a college/hospital would be ideal) fantastic schools (montessori if possible), affordable housing with land or at the least a very large lot. Most importantly, we want a place to live with some culture, good restaurants, theater, food co-op, a good bookstore, and plenty of access to outdoor activities. We love to hike, camp, fish, ski and just being outside all year long. We want a place to raise our kids where they will have both culture and a love of the outdoors. Any places in Tennessee or Kentucky fit the bill in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:53 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times
Personally I really like Tennessee. If you pick a place close to the KY/TN border you can have the best of both of them. Places like Westmorland, TN; Scottsville, KY; are the ones that spring to mind first. Not too far to either Nashville or Bowling Green, both real small towns, both have very friendly people in them. Knew some people who lived there and it seemed like the schools were decent, but that was a little while ago.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Ski, as in snow? Not much snow in TN. Northeast TN sees a little bit of snow, so it's not really a ski area, but it's pretty handy to skiing in NC.
Maybe look into the areas around Knoxville or Johnson City, lots of small towns in those areas that might fit your criteria. Maybe even Chattanooga, although they have even less snow... Dig around on the TN sub forums to get more info on schools and such.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 PM

Default what about chattanooga

I've looked into the Chattanooga area and it seems like it has potential. What is your opinion on this area in regards to what we are looking for minus the skiing?

Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,467 posts, read 14,312,551 times
Don't know a lot about it firsthand, but had a brother lived there for a few years. Liked it. Said it seemed like a good place to raise a family, but he got transferred out before his kids were school age, so can't help you there, sorry.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:49 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,947,541 times
Paducah or Bowling Green in KY would be good bets.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 PM

2,786 posts, read 5,676,228 times
I would go with Tennessee. There is more to do in Tennessee. Louisville is extremely underrated, but that is the only part of Kentucky that I really like. Eastern Kentucky faces extreme poverty. Western Kentucky is nice, but not much going on. Northern Kentucky is pretty much Cincinnati, so. I really like Northern Kentucky, it is the fastest growing region of Kentucky.

Nashville and Knoxville are both great cities.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 PM

ya know I really like northern kentucky too. My husband on the other hand feels like there is too much "sprawl". Too many sub-divisions and strip malls and like you said just an extension of Cinci. Do you feel like Louisville or Chattanooga is similar? I have heard some really great things about Bowling Green and Chattanooga. We really would place proximity to outdoor recreation at the top of our list as well as a family friendly town. I'm thinking Chattanooga might fit the bill a little more on that but not sure as I have not been there. But I have spent lots of time in N. Kentucky over the past ten years. We go down there about three times a year or more.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:10 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadejoe View Post
Want some input: My husband and I have a long-term goal of moving from Michigan in the next 2 years. We can't seem to agree on where to focus our efforts but my husband really has his heart set on either Tennessee or Kentucky. I would like to get opinions on what these two areas of the country are like. I realize most people like to post about the economy and job markets but that is not what I am asking about. Here is what we are looking for: a small to mid sized town (within a 45 minute drive to a larger city/town with a college/hospital would be ideal) fantastic schools (montessori if possible), affordable housing with land or at the least a very large lot. Most importantly, we want a place to live with some culture, good restaurants, theater, food co-op, a good bookstore, and plenty of access to outdoor activities. We love to hike, camp, fish, ski and just being outside all year long. We want a place to raise our kids where they will have both culture and a love of the outdoors. Any places in Tennessee or Kentucky fit the bill in your opinion?
The Knoxville area best fulfills all of your criteria.... Knoxville Tourism & Sports Corporation | The Official Site of Knoxville
The University of Tennessee is a major university which draws/creates all kinds of cultural events....The University of Tennessee: Knoxville
UT's Medical Center is one of the best in the Southeast... UT Medical Center - About Us
Knoxville has most every ethnicity of restaurant you can imagine because of it's faculty and student body who come from all over.... Knoxville Restaurants by Cuisine - Knoxville Restaurant Guide
Knoxville has Tennessee's only food coop... Three Rivers Market
Knoxville has the big box bookstores and a great independent... Carpe Librum Booksellers Emphasizes Face-to-Face : Profile : Metro Pulse
In terms of skiing, head two hours east to Beech Mountain, which has the highest elevation east of the Rockies..Welcome to Ski Beech - Beech Mountain Resort
For hiking/camping/fishing the Great Smoky Mountains are practically at your doorstep as well as numerous other options.
Lastly affordable housing is everywhere. Check out the suburbs of Oak Ridge... http://oakridgevisitor.com/faq.htm (broken link) or Alcoa....Welcome to the City of Alcoa / City of Alcoa - City of Alcoa

Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,573,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Northern Kentucky is pretty much Cincinnati, so. I really like Northern Kentucky, it is the fastest growing region of Kentucky.
The fastest growing region of the state would actually be Central Kentucky......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or