Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:29 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Madison, Wisc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,925,582 times
St Louis fits the criteria

Old 01-01-2010, 03:50 PM

26 posts, read 94,096 times
[quote=Brickmama;12255781]St Louis fits the criteria[/quote

Is St Louis a high crime area?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM

160 posts, read 498,652 times
Suprised no one mentioned Portland, OR or Seattle yet

Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
[quote=Zoe12506;12256449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
St Louis fits the criteria[/quote

Is St Louis a high crime area?
Lake Saint Louis is the Second Safest city in the State and voted as one of Money Magazine's top ten Best places to Live.

Lake Saint Louis Community Association - Lakes & Vacation Style Living
City of Lake Saint Louis, Missouri, USA -- Welcome

There is a Lowes here. Fits all the criteria except for Culture (Saint Louis City is about 30 miles away)

We have two private lakes, a water ski team, a sailing club, a Tennis Team, a Swim team and a golf course. The City also runs an Annual Triathlon. There are also fishing and canoe clubs.

There is also a good size medical center within the city limits.

I'm not a big fan of Missouri, but Living in Lake Saint Louis feels more like a west coast town that the midwest. It makes living in Missouri tolerable.

And Yes Saint Louis City does have a high crime rate, BUT it is fairly isolated to neighborhoods that you shouldn't or want to go into anyway.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, the winters are more snowy than cold. it can get cold, but it is more about the snow and it gets taken care of in a timely manner.

I believe that Ithaca is one of the places in Upstate NY that some people retire to, because it is a laid back college town, but is also known for it's organic scene and is pretty "liberal" as well. It has some beautiful gorges/falls and is in the Finger Lakes, which has some great wineries. Taughannock Falls, Ulysses, NY
Ithaca Falls - Photos, Maps, Information
Buttermilk Falls State Park - Waterfall Photos Maps Information
Cascadilla Gorge - Photos, Maps, Information
Robert Treman State Park & Lucifer Falls Waterfalls Photos Maps Information
Ludlowville Falls - Photos, Maps, Information

As for Saratoga Springs, it might be another option due to the heavy Spa scene, a small city with a good nightlife and tourist scene and it's proximity to the Adirondack Mountains. It's close to the Albany-Schenectady-Troy Metro area and is many times associated with it under the name of the Capital Region. Here are some other communities of interest that are very close to Saratoga Springs too: Lake George - Plan Your Visit Before You Go At LakeGeorge.com
Lake George Area in New York's Adirondacks - Official Site
Lake George Village
Glens Falls, NY - Official Website
Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.
Ballston Spa Business & Professional Association - Working Together to Promote Ballston Spa, New York
Ballston Spa, New York just minutes from Saratoga Springs, NY

Thank you ckhthankgod for all the wonderful links. Can you offer some specifics on neighborhoods in or near Glens Falls and Ithaca? We would definately need a townhouse or house. We would be renting to start. Something with a yard (dogs). What would be the average $$$?
Would like nice, quiet family type neighborhood. Love to have a park nearby. Safety, of course is a priority.

How easy is it to rent with dogs? We are very responsible w/ours and they usually sleep all day, but I know renters are somewhat skeptical when it comes to that issue. I can't say I blame them.

Anyway, if you can suggest some neighborhoods that may be of interest, it would be appreciated.

You've all been a big help. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Oh, and I'm hoping to find neighborhoods with a nice mix. I would like to be sure we don't end up in an area w/all 20 somethings or on the opposite end w/all retirees.
Possible?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 PM

I would also recommend the Ithaca area. There are also soem real neat Hudson River communities between Albany and New York City that are worth Checking out.

My favorites would be Rhinebeck, Redhook Staatsburgh
New Paltz

Old 01-02-2010, 06:08 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I would also recommend the Ithaca area. There are also soem real neat Hudson River communities between Albany and New York City that are worth Checking out.

My favorites would be Rhinebeck, Redhook Staatsburgh
New Paltz
Can't forget Saugerties and Hudson too.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM

I never really liked Hudson, maybe a bit to old and run down.

Saugerties is pretty nice. Kingston also has some real nice areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.