U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 PM

56,600 posts, read 80,890,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe12506 View Post
Thank you ckhthankgod for all the wonderful links. Can you offer some specifics on neighborhoods in or near Glens Falls and Ithaca? We would definately need a townhouse or house. We would be renting to start. Something with a yard (dogs). What would be the average $$$?
Would like nice, quiet family type neighborhood. Love to have a park nearby. Safety, of course is a priority.

How easy is it to rent with dogs? We are very responsible w/ours and they usually sleep all day, but I know renters are somewhat skeptical when it comes to that issue. I can't say I blame them.

Anyway, if you can suggest some neighborhoods that may be of interest, it would be appreciated.

You've all been a big help. Thanks!
Safety would not be an issue in Glens Falls, which is one of the safest metros in the US and Ithaca has a very low crime rate as well.

With Ithaca, you might like something in say Trumansburg, Dryden or Newfield, because you would be able to get more of a yard. It might also be cheaper than the city of Ithaca, more rural/small town, but still close.

Glens Falls has areas like Queensbury, South Glens Falls and Hudson Falls close by as well.

Both are small metro areas. So, it shouldn't be a slow as cities with similar sizes as those two.

Also, with Glens Falls, you are still close to Saratoga Springs and the Albany area. With Ithaca, you are pretty close to other areas like Syracuse, Binghamton and Elmira.

Here's some places I would look for housing in both areas:
glens falls apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate | Northern PA Real Estate
Real Estate Homes Glens Falls, Saratoga, Adirondacks :: PostStar.com
Jobs Homes Cars for sale Glens Falls Saratoga Classified :: PostStar.com

RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate | Northern PA Real Estate
Ithaca, NY Apartments and Houses for Rent, Local Apartment and Home Rentals, House, Townhome, and Condo Rentals, Vacation Rentals, Roommate and Sublet Classifieds :: Search Results - Page 1
ithaca apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
Ithaca Renting Company - Apartments, Rooms, Stores, Offices, Parking in Collegetown and Downtown
Apartments for Rent in Ithaca & Vicinity | Apartment in Ithaca & Vicinity*New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-02-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 05:48 PM

26 posts, read 85,493 times
Thank you all for your very helpful input. I have much research to do. I like the look of the Glens Falls/Saratoga Springs area. Seems to fit our OP. I have thought about NH and wondering if anyone knows anything about VT? (jobs, safety, culture)
What did we do before these awesome message boards???

Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
good choice. Saratoga is awesome

Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,971,255 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your very helpful input. I have much research to do. I like the look of the Glens Falls/Saratoga Springs area. Seems to fit our OP. I have thought about NH and wondering if anyone knows anything about VT? (jobs, safety, culture)
What did we do before these awesome message boards???
Vermont does fit many of your criteria. Four very distinct and beautiful seasons, extremely safe, friendly and non-intrusive people, spas and alternative health care options, health-conscious people, nature galore, tons of organic food options and local farmer's markets, strong emphasis on education, and a lively and progressive cultural hub at Burlington (with easy access to Montreal).

However, it does fail to meet your other criteria. The state is overwhelmingly rural and jobs are scarce at the moment (although it probably isn't much worse than most areas of the US right now). Moreover, the tax burden is fairly high and it is arguably not a great state to start a business in. Burlington, the cultural and economic center of the state, is hardly in a "mild" climate zone, being quite close to the Canadian border.

These are the primary reasons why I suggested New Hampshire (and more specifically Portsmouth). The job outlook is somewhat better, the overall tax burden is much lower (one of the lowest in the nation), and the state is generally very friendly to small businesses and entrepreneurs. The climate on the Seacoast is moderated by the ocean, although you still have four very distinct seasons. In every other respect, NH shares all the great assets of VT -- safety, nature, high value on education, support of local businesses and agriculture, and people with a strong "live and let live" attitude.

Granted, Portsmouth (and even the larger cities in NH, like Manchester and Nashua) is a relatively small market compared to most of the other cities that people have recommended. However, the city is very close to Boston so there is the possibility to attract another huge market, particularly since many in the Boston metro head north to vacation.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM

1,793 posts, read 2,703,519 times
Pittsburgh might be good for you. Affordable, lots of arts and culture. Weather is not the greatest, tends to be rainy and cold, but it does have 4 seasons like you wanted.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 8,991 times
You just described Athens Georgia. We are 15 minutes out of the city in a country subdivision with 1.5 acre min lot size. All new homes at a veryreasonable price. Cost of living is reasonable and University of Georgia is there. Been here two years and lovin it.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,798,868 times
Quote:
Hi all and thanks so much in advance for your input in this major decision.

We really need help in determining what large or mid-size cities would be the best fit in meeting our long list of "would like's", or places that may come close.

I am, what I would consider, an active, younger 48, married, three dogs, no kids person searching for our perfect (or perfect to us), place to call home.

What we would love:

1. 4 seasons
2. More of a mild climate, but not essential if other criteria is met
3. safe neighborhood to bike or walk the dogs
4. friendly people but not intrusive
5. affordable taxes
6. jobs available - my husband is a manager for Lowe's and will be looking to transfer.
I have my own business as an Aesthetician (skin care), and would like to be in an area offering medical aesthetics or medical spa's, day spa's and alternative health care options........yoga, accupuncture, holistic practices that are doing well. Health conscious people.
7. parks, lakes, green space
8. Organic food stores, local farmer's markets
9. Lots of culture, good restaurants, sporting activities, coffee shops
10. Continuing education for active "older" adults.
11. Preferably a town that supports entrepreneurs.

I know the list is long, but I wanted to be as specific as I could.
I'm hoping there are people who can offer some great advice to help narrow our search.
All 11 of your criteria is a perfect match for Austin, Texas!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:52 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,961,450 times
Providence, RI maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or