U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 11:04 AM

5,861 posts, read 14,070,390 times

Advertisements

Mpope--What is the purpose of the list? Since it was compiled by Mercer Human Resources, I'm concluding it might be focusing strictly on the cost of business travel to one of these cities. If so, housing, gas, utilities are irrelevant; restaurants, cab fares, car rentals hotel rooms, etc. would be what's counted.

My employer limits our travel per diem to a certain amount, but when we travel to one of 20 cities on a list our perdiem is about 15% higher, because they have been deemed high-cost cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,776,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Mpope--What is the purpose of the list? Since it was compiled by Mercer Human Resources, I'm concluding it might be focusing strictly on the cost of business travel to one of these cities. If so, housing, gas, utilities are irrelevant; restaurants, cab fares, car rentals hotel rooms, etc. would be what's counted.

My employer limits our travel per diem to a certain amount, but when we travel to one of 20 cities on a list our perdiem is about 15% higher, because they have been deemed high-cost cities.
Is it possible that you see no purpose in it because you don't agree with it? Because I believe I stated it's purpose on the first page. I commend those few posters who replied as asked rather than those who simply don't like the list's turn-out and would instead claim that I pulled it out of nowhere. Facts are facts, children. Get over it.

Last edited by mpope409; 05-23-2007 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 02:04 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,185,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Is it possible that you see no purpose in it because you don't agree with it? Because I believe I stated it's purpose on the first page. I commend those few posters who replied as asked rather than those who simply don't like the list's turn-out and would instead claim that I pulled it out of nowhere. Facts are facts, children. Get over it.
Was that response really necessary? Ben's question was a legitimate one. Maybe post a link for people to read more ABOUT the survey rather than jump on people when they find your one-sentence explanation insufficient. Many people are interested in finding out more about the variables measured and the survey methodology rather than just the end result.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Was that response really necessary? Ben's question was a legitimate one. Maybe post a link for people to read more ABOUT the survey rather than jump on people when they find your one-sentence explanation insufficient. Many people are interested in finding out more about the variables measured and the survey methodology rather than just the end result.
Which is why I supplied the survey's criteria and the link. My response to Ben was not personal, but necessary. Even so, it was not directed completely towards him; furthermore, Ben's post was indeed a legitimate one that would have been answered had he read the entire thread.

When someone comes and asks "what is the purpose of this list?", how am I supposed to answer to that?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:31 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,300,517 times
Various factors enter into a city's cost-of-living for expatriate employees, such as monetary value, consumer confidence, investment, interest rates, exchange rates of the country's currency, housing costs, among others.

I don't see how consumer confidence, investments, and exchange rates can factor into a city's cost-of-living. When I judge the cost-of-living in a city, I use criteria such as housing prices, food, transportation, etc...

Nothing against you mpope but I think this list is pretty ridiculous to say the least.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Yikes! What brought that on, mpope? WHAT purpose? Here's what you said on the first page:
"According to the Mercer Human Resource Consulting 2006 survey, the top 10 most expensive cities in the country are as follows:..."

I am neither disputing nor disagreeing. I am just trying to add another perspective. And I am not a child!

What is the matter with you??

Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Which is why I supplied the survey's criteria and the link. My response to Ben was not personal, but necessary. Even so, it was not directed completely towards him; furthermore, Ben's post was indeed a legitimate one that would have been answered had he read the entire thread.

When someone comes and asks "what is the purpose of this list?", how am I supposed to answer to that?
What is wrong with asking what the purpose is? I am not challenging you, I am asking what Mercer HR had in mind when they put it together. Take a deep breath, get off your high horse!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Various factors enter into a city's cost-of-living for expatriate employees, such as monetary value, consumer confidence, investment, interest rates, exchange rates of the country's currency, housing costs, among others.

I don't see how consumer confidence, investments, and exchange rates can factor into a city's cost-of-living. When I judge the cost-of-living in a city, I use criteria such as housing prices, food, transportation, etc...

Nothing against you mpope but I think this list is pretty ridiculous to say the least.
Who said anything about cost-of-living

Old 05-24-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
What is wrong with asking what the purpose is? I am not challenging you, I am asking what Mercer HR had in mind when they put it together. Take a deep breath, get off your high horse!
Because I was the one who was out of line with that comment, I deserved that. I read your statement the wrong way and took it as being offensive. I apologize.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,449,273 times
I'm really confused by this thread. It's an interesting list but it seems to cherry-pick stats.

mpope, when you implied above that "cost of living" and "expensive" are not equated in the minds of most, I think you discovered the reason there's a debate going on here. The opening post, if you can edit it, would be helped greatly by adding some clarification as to what that list is measuring.

As a science geek who is currently studying the philosophy of science and epistemology, I can tell you with confidence that there's nothing "factual" about the list other than the fact that it's self-referentially accurate. In other words, if I decide how to measure something and then measure it that way, I have just generated "facts" but they are meaningless to others until I provide the context and intentions of my recipe.

I'd have not entered the discussion had I not seen Houston on there but not Seattle and other places that people have already mentioned in this thread.

If it's a list of "affordability" then that's how it should be labeled --- cost of living relative to income. But that doesn't tell us much either because "affordability" omits factors such as the proportion of the population that is retired, housing value appreciation, immigrant population, etc. A city is only expensive relative to other cities based on average prices or relative to what an individual earns, demands in the way of amenities, and anticipates in future from appreciation, investments and opportunities to advance in their career and income goals. And there are so many other factors!

But I love lists so I'm happy you posted it, I'd just like to see more context provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or