U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,446,074 times

Advertisements

This is hilarious:

I was searching for the name of the agency that conducts the US census and I typed "census bureau is run by" (with the quotes) into Google. There was one page of results, and I have to post these because they're just too funny and too irrelevant to anything:

"the Census Bureau is run by career employees with a long tradition of independence and professionalism." (That's the flattering one)

"All I can say is that the Census Bureau is run by idiots."

"The Census Bureau is run by Euro Americans who decide the categories for classification and first floated the idea that we should be worried about who is..."

"...the Census Bureau is run by a Bush crony, so you can hardly believe it."

"The census bureau is run by liberals that don't support Bush..."

"I can only assume you will respond with a statement such as the Census Bureau is run by white people."

That, my friends, is the sum total of results I got from my first restricted Google search on the topic. Perhaps I need to remove the quotes...

I especially love the back-to-back quotes about how the census is run by Bush cronies and anti-Bush liberals. People will find ANY excuse to turn every topic into partisan bickering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:47 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,446,074 times
Alternative lists:

Without listing all the criteria, here are some examples of lists from sources other than Wikipedia. They will all seem absurd in one way or another because they're not comprehensive in measurement and no objective list exists with respect to the entire experience of living in a city. So, have a laugh, here they are, starting with a list that doesn't include San Francisco in the top ten!

1. New York
2. Boston
3. Juneau
4. Anchorage
5. San Diego
6. Philadelphia
7. Los Angeles
8. Fairbanks
9. Ann Arbor
10. Seattle

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. San Jose
5. Washington, DC
6. Honolulu
7. Chicago
8. Boston
9. Seattle
10. Miami

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Oakland
4. San Diego
5. Washington, DC
6. Newark
7. Edison, NJ (?)
8. Seattle
9. Philadelphia
10. Chicago

1. New York
2. Anchorage
3. Fairbanks
4. San Francisco
5. Honolulu
6. San Jose
7. Boston
8. Salinas, CA (!!!)
9. Minneapolis
10. Jersey City

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. San Jose
5. Orange County, CA
6. Boston
7. Oakland-Berkeley
8. San Diego
9. Washington, DC
10. Fort Lauderdale

1. San Francisco, CA
2. Orange County, CA
3. Santa Cruz, CA
4. San Jose, CA
5. Salinas, CA
6. Santa Barbara, CA
7. Oakland, CA
8. Santa Rosa, CA
9. San Luis Obispo, CA
10. San Diego, CA

My favorite list is this one from CNN's survey in 2005 comparing cost of living to average pay, as it matches my own perceptions very well with the blatant exceptions of Bakersfield and Fresno (!!!):

* New York
* San Francisco
* Stamford, Conn.
* San Jose, Calif.
* San Diego
* Santa Barbara, Calif.
* Bakersfield, Calif.
* Los Angeles
* Fresno, Calif.
* Boston

Most of these lists compare average household income to housing prices and other basic living costs. Alaskan cities show up in some of the lists because of the extremely high cost of delivering goods to the remote location. California's dominant presence on the lists is a no-brainer, and the absence of Texas cities is equally predictable.

Most lists of "least expensive cities" will show a lot of Texan cities, especially in far south Texas near the Rio Grande.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
According to the Mercer Human Resource Consulting 2006 survey, the top 10 most expensive cities in the country are as follows:

1. New York, New York
2. Los Angeles, California
3. San Francisco, California
4. Chicago, Illinois
5. Miami, Florida
6. White Plains, New York (New York metro)
7. Honolulu, Hawaii
8. Houston, Texas
9. Washington, D.C.
10. Morristown, New Jersey (New York metro)

Which ones are worth your money?

Which ones are you surprised about being left out of the top 10?
Of all of these, Miami is definately not worth the money, too many low paying jobs. I am shocked that Houston is in the most expensive, I know it's desirable and there are tons of good paying jobs here but still.I am surprised also that San Diego ISN'T on this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or