U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 27,497 times

Advertisements

We are barely getting by in Southern California on unemployment - hundreds of applications sent out, one year later still no job. I am considering taking my unemployment income ($1900 a month which is our total family income, I have one dependent) and moving elsewhere while continuing to look for work. Most jobs I've gotten in the past have all been over the web initially, phone interviews, etc. with very little need to be in a face to face interview until the last stage. I am thinking of continuing the search for a position in So. California but from a more affordable location while hunker down and ride out the remainder of the recession.

So - here's what I'd love - a city, somewhere with a bit of ethnic diversity and cultural offerings, lower cost of overall living and an abundance of rent by the month places where I don't have to pay more than $500 a month (as I still have to pay storage for my stuff in Calif.) I am totally okay with going to flea markets and local thrift stores to furnish my place, and am ready for a change. We've been living in a hotel in California where you pay by the week, and we're pretty tired of it after a year. Everything is already in storage so all we'd have to do is put clothes in the car and head out somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,889,790 times
Dallas or NYC.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 PM

hi 'the city' - thanks for your response but where can you live in NYC for $500 a month? Last I knew a 500sq ft place was about $2500 a month at best. I am getting Unemployment from the State of California and that wouldn't change. I am looking for work on a daily basis in California but can't afford to live here until I return to work and earn at least half of what I was making previously which was over 100k.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:24 PM

161 posts, read 556,343 times
Cities in the central US tend to be the cheapest places to rent. I cannot speak for having a lot of places that will let you go month-to-month, but your odds are better there since $500 is more like the average rent anyway. Suprisingly, these cities do have more ethnic diversity than you might think.

Consider:

Omaha, NE
Oklahoma City, OK
Wichita, KS
Tulsa, OK
Des Moines, IA
San Antonio, TX
Amarillo, TX
Lubbock, TX
Albuquerque, NM
Fargo, ND
Billings, MT

Along with being fairly inexpensive, these cities also have some of the lowest unemployment rates around right now.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,412,818 times
I like the Albuquerque suggestion; I don't have personal experience, but some online searching of housing makes it look pretty affordable, and I really liked it when I visited. Diverse, cultural offerings, a change of pace from southern CA, but still close enough you can easily get back if you get a job interview.

How about somewhere else within California? Bakersfield or somewhere similar? Bakersfield has more cultural offerings than people often give it credit for, the rent is cheap, and you could easily get to interviews in LA (since I see you're in Arcadia now).

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 AM

2,035 posts, read 4,555,130 times
Louisiana is pretty cheap. Not directly in Lafayette, where I live, but the small outlying towns all around it are very affordable and within a short drive from bigger cities.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 AM

thank goodness, I finally got a job! I am staying in Los Angeles! YAY!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:29 AM

989 posts, read 1,930,652 times
San Antonio is a no-brainer. Very nice city with a ridiculously cheap cost of living, possbily lowest in the nation for a city-proper. Lots of places in Texas though, definately consider Dallas/FT Worth/Houston/El Paso too. If you're looking for a complete change of scenery....Pittsburgh PA. Pittsbrugh is a great city with ridiculous housing options on the cheap, always wins "most livable" awards, etc. Another fantastic bang-for-your-buck city like San Antonio that's also a nice place too for any cost.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPiratePatty View Post
thank goodness, I finally got a job! I am staying in Los Angeles! YAY!
Congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or