U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:36 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,471,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Like others have said, Michigan's data doesn't make much sense. The only major Michigan cities that were included are Detroit and Grand Rapids. If we're only including MAJOR cities, then the southwestern part of Michigan from a line below Kalamazoo and South Haven identifies with Chicago. Grand Rapids covers the central and west central areas of the state. The U.P. probably identifies more with Green Bay. Detroit's influence is confined to the southeast part of the state. Extreme southwest Michigan (the southern half of Berrien County and all of Cass County) is part of the South Bend metro, and identifies far more with Indianapolis and Chicago than Detroit. From Niles, Indianapolis is closer than Detroit, and Chicago is 90 miles away. Detroit isn't even on the radar here. I'm the only Lions fan I know of around here, most are Colts or Bears fans.
I don't think that Michigan's map is inaccurate at all. I'm from the Lansing area, and while there is a local identity and definite cultural differences from the Detroit area, it would still be the major city that most people identify with. If you want to fly somewhere, you drive to Detroit Metro. People root for Detroit-area sports teams. It's different in west and southwest Michigan, but note that this trend is reflected in the maps. A lot of the northern part of the state is heavily influenced by vacationers, which are weighted towards the Detroit area. So it makes sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,127,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
I diagree with the map because according to it Miami has the most influence on Southwest Florida. In my opinon the Fort Myers-Naples area is more closely linked to Tampa-Sarasota areas.
Having relatives in the Naples area, I would have to say that Miami is definitely more of an influence. It's a larger city, more cosmopolitan, and it's closer to Naples than Tampa.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM

4,476 posts, read 7,307,654 times
I'm actually a bit surprised that Savannah is higher up on the list than Charleston, S.C.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 PM

4,476 posts, read 7,307,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Having relatives in the Naples area, I would have to say that Miami is definitely more of an influence. It's a larger city, more cosmopolitan, and it's closer to Naples than Tampa.
I agree. Especially Naples, it's only about 2 hours from the South Florida Metro.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:53 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,127,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I agree. Especially Naples, it's only about 2 hours from the South Florida Metro.
Right.

Naples>Miami: 2 hours
Naples>Tampa: 3 hours

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 AM

12,083 posts, read 34,207,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmsu01 View Post
I don't think that Michigan's map is inaccurate at all. I'm from the Lansing area, and while there is a local identity and definite cultural differences from the Detroit area, it would still be the major city that most people identify with. If you want to fly somewhere, you drive to Detroit Metro. People root for Detroit-area sports teams. It's different in west and southwest Michigan, but note that this trend is reflected in the maps. A lot of the northern part of the state is heavily influenced by vacationers, which are weighted towards the Detroit area. So it makes sense to me.
Not even close. Go to the UP and tell me Detroit is the largest influence up there. Shoot go to Gaylord or Grayling and tell me Detroit has the most influence. Can't be done, because it isn't. Lansing area you are right, North of you just a bit and you are wrong. I graduated from the Soo, I have lived all over Northern Michigan and can tell you from experience that Detroit loses most of it's influence and respectability once you get a little ways away from it.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 AM

4,249 posts, read 9,735,417 times
Why would Iowa City be an available choice of major city and not Davenport or Moline?

Why would Alliance, NE be an available choice, and not, say, Marquette MI?

Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,061,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
This is going to drive the Charlotte peeps crazy. Raleigh's BEA is larger than theirs. The sky is surely going to fall.
You know, I looked at this data, walked outside, and for some reason I thought it was strange that the sky appeared to be shorter today. Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or