U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 13,670 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my wife is 29 and disabled. She has a rare bladder condition that not much is known about (Interstitial Cystitis) and has been to 14 doctors for it recently. We have found out that extreme heat and humidity increase her pain greatly, as well as extreme cold snaps.

We live in OKC now, we moved here two years ago from Colorado and we are now needing to relocate very soon. We need to find a city to live where the seasons blend into each other at a relatively gradual pace, neither extremely hot or cold day to day. In OKC, it can get very hot, then drop 30 degrees the next day and vice versa, which in turn aggravates her condition much worse and increases her pain. The humidity here varies quite a lot also, which doesn't help.

I have heard California is ideal, but I imagine that is far too expensive for us. Arizona may be just too hot, except Prescott/Flagstaff. But again, possibly too expensive for us (one income).

We are pretty laid back type folks and are looking for an area that is large enough to have several hospitals. We would prefer a place that is unpretentious in general also.

We are thinking about the Carolinas area where my familiy is close to and my wife's is near the Utah/ Idaho area.

Any suggestions would be great regardless of where they are at, but would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
coastal Southern California from around Santa Barbara to San Diego is about the only area I can think of in this country that doesn't have extreme variations temperature, along with low humidity. Its costly, but not as expensive as you may think. But you better have a job lined up before making a move.

Desert Communities may fit your needs. They get hot in the summer, but the heat never bothered me because of the arid air.

The carolinas are nice, but you still have the humidity.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,818,682 times
Certainly as mentioned San Diego and Santa Barbara. But you can also look to Portland and Seattle as well. Mild winters and mild summers are the rule, especially in Seattle. And humidity is very low in the sumnmer.

For example, here's the average temps in Seattle. (There are suburban cities with similar stats that are close to health care and less expensive)

Month - Avg High Temp / Avg Rain (inches)
January - 46/6
February - 50/4
March - 53/4
April - 58/2
May - 65/2
June - 69/1
July - 75/1
August - 74/1
September - 69/2
October - 60/3
November - 52/5
December - 47/6

Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,193,047 times
Southern California by far is the best place to be.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:43 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,429,588 times
I would look at places west of the Cascade mountains in OR and WA. Portland, Seattle, or smaller towns. It rains a lot in winter and is cold but not frigid. Summers are nice with little humidity.

Anywhere in CA probably works that is not in the mountains but the climate will vary by location. Northern CA coast is cool year round but not cold or hot, lots of rain in winter, and fog in summer but the temps don't vary too much at all with 50's and 60's as highs year round. Southern CA coast is warmer and drier with highs in the 60's and 70's year round. The Central Valley is much cheaper, the weather varies more but it's never humid and doesn't really go below freezing that often and only at night. Air Quality is an issue in the southern Central Valley though. CA has the most mild climate with the least amount of temp change except for Hawaii but it's humid there and even more expensive. The Central Valley is pretty cheap by CA standards. San Diego would be the cheapest metro immediately along the coast and have the mildest weather. Of course it is still relatively pricey, you'll get less house here for your money but some people don't mind that for the weather trade off.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,429,074 times
The only place that will really suit her would be Southern California, or Hawaii (which is probably too humid for her though). Prescott and Flagstaff get downright frigid, especially Flagstaff and have crazy temp swings. The Carolinas are more stable than Flagstaff, but a humid mess in summer, especially SC. Ick.

You should try and find some place for cheap somewhere in San Diego, thats your best bet.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 PM

32,377 posts, read 55,190,768 times
San Diego
Orange County
Los Angeles
Santa Barbara
San Luis Obispo
Monterey
Santa Cruz
SF Bay Area

All very mild and incredibly temperate climates.

I don't know how winters are up there, but Seattle and Portland are also very comfortable in the summer.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Good suggestions...

I think those are all good suggestions, thank you for your help. I had heard San Diego was a good area, but didn't know that Seattle was dry in the summer. Also, I have heard that there are somewhat higher salaries in the larger cities on the west coast that help compensate for the cost of living, so we should probably take that into account, too.

I am hoping when the economy/employment situation gets better we can find something out that way asap.

Again, thanks for all the input, we appreciate it.

Jay

Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,657,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
coastal Southern California from around Santa Barbara to San Diego is about the only area I can think of in this country that doesn't have extreme variations temperature, along with low humidity. Its costly, but not as expensive as you may think. But you better have a job lined up before making a move.

Desert Communities may fit your needs. They get hot in the summer, but the heat never bothered me because of the arid air.

The carolinas are nice, but you still have the humidity.
i agree with this.

as for the carolinas, consider that one week can be 70 something as highs in the winter and the next can be 40 something as highs in the winter.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM

does anyone think Vegas or Phoenix would work? I keep hearing that it is not that bad, but don't really have a frame of reference. I grew up in the Gulf States where the humidity made it unbelievable hot. Does it cool off at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or