U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM

314 posts, read 765,772 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is any chance that I will be denied a VISA for entering the U.S. since I've been punished in my european country for possession of narcotics.

Heard that it's pretty hard if you have had anything to do with "controlled substances".

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 PM

726 posts, read 1,871,894 times
yes I believe it will be difficult, I know they do a full fbi background check (or at least they did 18 years ago). It would also probably depend on what level of crime it was. In the US for possession you could get a non-criminal charge, misdemeanor or felony. Are you trying to get a student visa, working visa or permanent resident?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM

443 posts, read 1,094,102 times
For an immigrant or non-immigrant visa, you are asked if you've been convicted of anything and have to provide documentation of it. The question they ask you is "Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"

If it's considered a crime of moral turpitude it is grounds for being barred from the US. In other cases there may be leeway, but I think rarely in the case of drugs. The US is very, very anti-drug with very harsh drug penalties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or