U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,568,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I don't think you are in any place to draw that conclusion, those things are all subjective.

His post was right on the money .I dont think dress or morals, at least by the comparison of crime rates, have improved by the 1950s by any measure and certainly not politeness . The dominant liberal media loves to say how much better it is after the social revolutions of the 1960s and distort stats but all you have to do is talk to your grandparents who were there .

"An American's chance of being murdered was relatively low in the 1950s and early 1960s. It doubled between 1964 and 1974, remained high from 1974 to 1980, declined significantly between 1980 and 1985, and edged back up in the late 1980s"

this is britain

This is united states

USA Homicide Rates: 1950-2010; By Race And Sex | William M. Briggs

commuters 1955 philadelphia

better dressed, more polite than todays mass transit in philly today ?

1950s manhattan

detroit 1950s

main street photos after 1940

Last edited by floridanative10; 08-01-2015 at 10:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 PM

125 posts, read 213,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
For women and minorities, its much better now.
I was just thinking about my grandmothers the other day. They were married and owned nice houses outright. They traveled, and played golf, and had tons of friends and clubs they belonged to, charities they participated in, etc. One worked in an office all her life and the other volunteered a lot.

They were born in the first decade of the 20th century and they had much more financially stable lives than I will ever have, born in the early 1960s. They had yards, and bird feeders, and washers and dryers, and automobiles, and stability, and friendships that lasted their whole lives and spanned generations.

I live in a studio apartment and don't drive and have a low paying menial job, despite 2 college degrees and 35 years work experience including a decade of running my own business.

But I can't complain. I just don't think things were that bad for women back then.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:40 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
His post was right on the money .I dont think dress or morals, at least by the comparison of crime rates, have improved by the 1950s by any measure and certainly not politeness . The dominant liberal media loves to say how much better it is after the social revolutions of the 1960s and distort stats but all you have to do is talk to your grandparents who were there .

"An American's chance of being murdered was relatively low in the 1950s and early 1960s. It doubled between 1964 and 1974, remained high from 1974 to 1980, declined significantly between 1980 and 1985, and edged back up in the late 1980s"

this is britain

This is united states

USA Homicide Rates: 1950-2010; By Race And Sex | William M. Briggs

commuters 1955 philadelphia

better dressed, more polite than todays mass transit in philly today ?

1950s manhattan

detroit 1950s

main street photos after 1940
Sorry i don't agree, i don't wanna be associated with people who are obsessed with disrespecting younger generations... in my views each generation was/is great in their own ways.

Murder rates are only slightly higher, and murder is a very rare event... so murder rates don't really apply to the general population.... clothing? again that is subjective, is it not true that everyone has their own taste in fashion? one person can't be the judge of who "dresses" better... more polite? impossible to tell, none of us have met every singe person in each generation and know how "polite" they are.... in today's society we are more exposed to each other and we interact more with everyone in the world so everything stands out more which will skew many view and opinions of the current generation.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:45 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Quote:
I don't think you are in any place to draw that conclusion, those things are all subjective.
On the issue of politeness and morals I would also agree that things were better then. Why?? While I am not old enough to have been around in the 50s, in my childhood during the 70s I clearly remember that those things were better even then. It stands to reason that things were better back then considering what I do remember.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:48 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,946,610 times
I just love the US from the 50's and '60s. Things were still 'made in America' these days, a family could still live on a single income these days, American women were still pretty back them(Lana del Rey still looks like a classical American beauty these days) and the picture of the commuter train in the 50's in Philly above says of lot too.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
On the issue of politeness and morals I would also agree that things were better then. Why?? While I am not old enough to have been around in the 50s, in my childhood during the 70s I clearly remember that those things were better even then. It stands to reason that things were better back then considering what I do remember.
Okay cool we get it, people back than are so much better!! they are so amazing, moral and polite and we are not!

Happy now?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I just love the US from the 50's and '60s. Things were still 'made in America' these days, a family could still live on a single income these days, American women were still pretty back them(Lana del Rey still looks like a classical American beauty these days) and the picture of the commuter train in the 50's in Philly above says of lot too.
What does it say? i just see a bunch of people reading newspapers.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Okay cool we get it, people back than are so much better!! they are so amazing, moral and polite and we are not!

Happy now?

What I do know is that people did not embrace immorality en-mass like they do today, people were nicer to other people than they are today and families were stronger as well.. Just watch TV from the 50s, 60s, 70s and even 80s and you will see we had a more decent society than we have today. There are things about today that are better like as Canudigit pointed out medical advancement. Other technologies have made our lives easier and more enjoyable like the internet we are now all enjoying, however if you look at morals and behavior there is NO DOUBT that things were better in the pre 1990 world.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What I do know is that people did not embrace immorality en-mass like they do today, people were nicer to other people than they are today and families were stronger as well.. Just watch TV from the 50s, 60s, 70s and even 80s and you will see we had a more decent society than we have today. There are things about today that are better like as Canudigit pointed out medical advancement. Other technologies have made our lives easier and more enjoyable like the internet we are now all enjoying, however if you look at morals and behavior there is NO DOUBT that things were better in the pre 1990 world.
impossible for me to tell, the pre 1990 world wasn't as exposed as todays world. watch TV? there is wayyyy more television shows today than there were back in the 50s - 70s that it is impossible to make an comparison.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
impossible for me to tell, the pre 1990 world wasn't as exposed as todays world. watch TV? there is wayyyy more television shows today than there were back in the 50s - 70s that it is impossible to make an comparison.

I can really not say on the 50s as I am not old enough to have experience with them, however I can speak for my lifetime. With memories stretching from the 1970s to today I can say that morality and politeness have declined. Over time these things have decayed, and in the past 15-20 years they have decayed at a rapid rate. Things on TV today would get someone put in jail in 1980. Things that are acceptable today would get one shunned by society in 1980. Things that are talked about in the open today would never have been talked about in polite company in 1980. More families were together in 1980, and these families were stronger than today. Drugs and the said immorality have worked to weaken and destroy the modern family. This part of todays world is not better than in years past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.