U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I can really not say on the 50s as I am not old enough to have experience with them, however I can speak for my lifetime. With memories stretching from the 1970s to today I can say that morality and politeness have declined. Over time these things have decayed, and in the past 15-20 years they have decayed at a rapid rate. Things on TV today would get someone put in jail in 1980. Things that are acceptable today would get one shunned by society in 1980. Things that are talked about in the open today would never have been talked about in polite company in 1980. More families were together in 1980, and these families were stronger than today. Drugs and the said immorality have worked to weaken and destroy the modern family. This part of todays world is not better than in years past.
I would agree that people on a whole in my experience seem to be more open/inappropriate and peoples humor is very shocking/over the top at times. not saying this is a good nor bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 04:05 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,944,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What does it say? i just see a bunch of people reading newspapers.
It seems they are well behaved and not doing any crazy stuff like what happens in public transportation today. They just seem to be calmly reading their newspaper and not harassing other travlellers with loud hippety hop or rap. Everyone seems to be minding their own business. They seem to be formally dressed(although very old fashioned for todays standard) unlike today. I wouldn't use Philly's mass transit today unless I were desperately poor.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 AM

1 posts, read 915 times
Well the women were certainly much nicer and a lot Easier to meet compared to today.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,201,781 times
"Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory."

- Franklin Pierce Adams (1881-1960)

Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 AM

513 posts, read 288,901 times
You see, it's funny how people say how great the 1950s, 60s, 70s, whatever were back then, yet those people also want to say "Hell no to the 50s, 60s (or whatever)".

I'm not saying these were bad times. I was born in '91, so bear with me even though my generation may be too far removed from the 50s or 60s to make an accurate judgement. Overall, a lot was cleaner both the economy and society. I long for a "renewal" of 70s-80s society, but please tell me if this is a bit unrealistic?

I guess most of today's technology isn't all it's cracked up to be either. Productivity is up, but unemployment has gone down. 500 TV channels and/or on-demand streaming, no thanks. Give me only a few local TV channels, even in black and white, I'd be a happy person.

And minorities and blacks being better than back then means absolutely nothing when whites are suffering from becoming a minority soon. I can't find a decent beautiful, white blonde-hair and blue-eyed adult female anymore.

Anyone considering it is now called a bigot or racist. Yes, I wish for a renewel of pre-1990 economy and society in all corners of the world. It's something I long for and even in my younger generation now, today feels like hell to get by.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 AM

5,952 posts, read 7,321,977 times
Not sure why some have such an ideal view of the late 1960's and 70's. With Vietnam, the economy, racial riots, Watergate, and the oil embargo I think that was one of the worst time periods in the 20th Century for the US.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:24 PM

And the year began with the digits 19.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:18 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,445,904 times
Socially, things are better now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Economically, one could argue that the average American has less security than they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As far as the one income vs two income goes, how many two-household incomes exist to pay for the technology? If you didn't have pay and cable TV, electronic games, broadband internet, a computer or two or three, cell phones for every household member of a certain age, microwave, a dishwasher, a large screen TV or two or three, digital cameras, etc., would you need the second income? I'm not saying one decade choice is better than the other monetarily speaking. I'm just wondering if you couldn't live on one income without the technology.
I pay more on rent than on all of my electronics combined in a year. Property values are higher, healthcare is more expensive, travel is more expensive, and college tuition/housing/everything are more expensive and they're necessary for a career in this economy. So overall I think most of the increase in the cost of living comes from sources other than electronics.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:32 AM

29,936 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
And minorities and blacks being better than back then means absolutely nothing when whites are suffering from becoming a minority soon.
You're joking, right? You think Whites are going to be enslaved or have to live under an oppressive Jim Crow regime if/when they become a racial minority???

Old 08-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Huh? But when did I say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.