U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 933 times

Advertisements

The 50's and 60's had much better women which made it very easy finding love in those days which today now there are so many women that are very high maintenance, very independent, very selfish, very spoiled, and very greedy. And if your looking to meet a good woman like i am which makes it very impossible today since many women have certainly Changed over the years which now they have their Careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 03:03 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanNotTellALie View Post
The 50's and 60's had much better women which made it very easy finding love in those days which today now there are so many women that are very high maintenance, very independent, very selfish, very spoiled, and very greedy. And if your looking to meet a good woman like i am which makes it very impossible today since many women have certainly Changed over the years which now they have their Careers.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 AM

17,264 posts, read 19,560,434 times
If you are a non-white person, then you would have lived a subhuman level of existence in the 1950s and 1960s compared with what you have today. It is incomparably better now.

If you are an average white person, then life may have been a little bit better in the 1950s and 1960s because of automatic white privilege, although not by much. There's not that much difference.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:53 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,264,566 times
Alot of comments about black people being so much better off. I am really skeptical.

No kids shooting each other over a pair of Air Jordans, no guys standing on a corner selling baggies, people took pride in actually speaking English (as opposed to "ya boi dat n*gga b a uncle tom"), the vast majority of black people grew up in a two parent household (today it is in the inverse, about 80% of kids born out of wedlock), people dressing respectably instead of pants around their knees, education was valued instead of being the mark of "selling out" or "acting white", jazz instead of gangsta rap, the list goes on.

Most blacks self segregate now anyways.

What also makes me skeptical to begin with is that many elderly black people who have actually seen both worlds don't seem to think things are all that better now, but just different. I think we are taught to think that segregation was a lot worse than it actually was and we learn about how horrible white people used to be (as opposed to modern white people who have "seen the light"). Maybe we have a subconscious need to believe things are better now.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:55 AM

599 posts, read 309,776 times
I believe that life in general was much better in the 1950's and 1960's. I would say back then it was worse for minorities especially African Americans. We had true leadership as a country than, crime wasn't tolerated and people were more respectful.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:30 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,290,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
For women and minorities, its much better now.
For white women who don't want kids, like myself, it's MUCH better now. I don't want to live in that backwards era.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:00 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,020,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Alot of comments about black people being so much better off. I am really skeptical.

No kids shooting each other over a pair of Air Jordans, no guys standing on a corner selling baggies, people took pride in actually speaking English (as opposed to "ya boi dat n*gga b a uncle tom"), the vast majority of black people grew up in a two parent household (today it is in the inverse, about 80% of kids born out of wedlock), people dressing respectably instead of pants around their knees, education was valued instead of being the mark of "selling out" or "acting white", jazz instead of gangsta rap, the list goes on.

What also makes me skeptical to begin with is that many elderly black people who have actually seen both worlds don't seem to think things are all that better now, but just different. I think we are taught to think that segregation was a lot worse than it actually was and we learn about how horrible white people used to be (as opposed to modern white people who have "seen the light"). Maybe we have a subconscious need to believe things are better now.
You seem to really play into a stereotype about how ALL black people are living. As a black woman, I have not shot at nor been shot at by anyone over shoes, I have never lived in a neighborhood with people on the corner selling baggies, and my family and all my close friends do not call each other the "n" word or speak in Ebonics. I grew up in a single parent household after the age of 12 not because my parents were playing the "baby mama, baby daddy" card but because they got divorced. That's right, I was actually born in wedlock as were most of my college friends. The sagging pants thing is not exclusive to the black community. There are plenty of white, Asian, and Hispanic guys who wear the pants off their ass. Education was highly valued in my household growing up and it was equally as important in the households of my friends. In the 50s and 60s old timers blamed the current music on all the ills of the world, too.

Most blacks do not self segregate. Having lived in Colorado myself, I know you likely don't see many blacks on a regular basis. If you go to a city with some diversity, you might be shocked to see black and white people working together, black and white kids going to school with one another, colleges and universities with black and white students, and maybe even some blacks and whites who are married and have kids together.

I think it's really ignorant to take a stereotype, that does hold true with a small segment of the black community, and apply it as a quality of life measure on all of today's black population. The majority of us don't live what you described above. The 50s and 60s were different because that discrimination applied to nearly all blacks in certain regions, diminishing their quality of life as a whole.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:05 PM

3,571 posts, read 2,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post

W.
T.
F.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:29 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,264,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
You seem to really play into a stereotype about how ALL black people are living. As a black woman, I have not shot at nor been shot at by anyone over shoes, I have never lived in a neighborhood with people on the corner selling baggies, and my family and all my close friends do not call each other the "n" word or speak in Ebonics. I grew up in a single parent household after the age of 12 not because my parents were playing the "baby mama, baby daddy" card but because they got divorced. That's right, I was actually born in wedlock as were most of my college friends. The sagging pants thing is not exclusive to the black community. There are plenty of white, Asian, and Hispanic guys who wear the pants off their ass. Education was highly valued in my household growing up and it was equally as important in the households of my friends. In the 50s and 60s old timers blamed the current music on all the ills of the world, too.

Most blacks do not self segregate. Having lived in Colorado myself, I know you likely don't see many blacks on a regular basis. If you go to a city with some diversity, you might be shocked to see black and white people working together, black and white kids going to school with one another, colleges and universities with black and white students, and maybe even some blacks and whites who are married and have kids together.

I think it's really ignorant to take a stereotype, that does hold true with a small segment of the black community, and apply it as a quality of life measure on all of today's black population. The majority of us don't live what you described above. The 50s and 60s were different because that discrimination applied to nearly all blacks in certain regions, diminishing their quality of life as a whole.
I'm black and I'm from Maryland which is one of the blackest states in America, and home to the biggest black middle class in America and richest black county in America, also Baltimore, DC and Philadelphia, all majority black cities are the local urban areas. Is that valid enough? I don't know why you're perspective would be more "valid" than a non-black person's anyway, yet ironically you are calling me ignorant as you assume a slew of things about me that are incorrect, as if what I'm talking about doesn't describe the harsh reality for lots of black people that we like to sweep under the rug. Ask the black lives matter movement themselves - are they happy with how things are right now?

Just sayin', what I described is the plight of many black people although it sucks to talk about it. Go to Detroit in 1960, it's Motown, today it's a byword for a warzone. Go to Baltimore in 1960 and see black industrial workers with full employment, go there now and see people sitting on stoops heckling passerbys and collecting a free check. Even in the black mecca of Atlanta, lots of guys just sitting around calling themselves N words segregating themselves anyways, and coming up with new ways to prove how hard they are to their boys. We can pretend it's not true, or debate who is to blame for this, but it is the living situation for a large percentage of many black Americans, it's not we are talking about a tiny minority, anyone who is being honest with themselves knows this. Most black people don't live somewhere like Colorado, or Oregon, or northern California, they live in urbanized areas in the east, especially in the south, and reside in mostly or all black areas, those are simply facts.

Would I want to be segregated or be torn apart from the white members of my family? No, not really, but for a huge swath of the black community there are some obvious pluses to being black in 1960 compared to 2015, especially the people are already self-segregate and make it clear that they don't like white people all that much to begin with, but have no job in 2015 where they would have had a decent one in 1960, didn't fear gang members, and had a stable home/community. Of course this doesn't apply to the black Americans who are middle class and have a decent job and a college degree, of course they benefit more from living in 2015, but those black people are only a minority. I don't see what's wrong with being open to examining both sides of the coin.

Last edited by hobbesdj; 11-01-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 630 times
Most women definitely had Class back then compared to today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.