U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I'm black and I'm from Maryland which is one of the blackest states in America, and home to the biggest black middle class in America and richest black county in America, also Baltimore, DC and Philadelphia, all majority black cities are the local urban areas. Is that valid enough? I don't know why you're perspective would be more "valid" than a non-black person's anyway, yet ironically you are calling me ignorant as you assume a slew of things about me that are incorrect, as if what I'm talking about doesn't describe the harsh reality for lots of black people that we like to sweep under the rug. Ask the black lives matter movement themselves - are they happy with how things are right now?

Just sayin', what I described is the plight of many black people although it sucks to talk about it. Go to Detroit in 1960, it's Motown, today it's a byword for a warzone. Go to Baltimore in 1960 and see black industrial workers with full employment, go there now and see people sitting on stoops heckling passerbys and collecting a free check. Even in the black mecca of Atlanta, lots of guys just sitting around calling themselves N words segregating themselves anyways, and coming up with new ways to prove how hard they are to their boys. We can pretend it's not true, or debate who is to blame for this, but it is the living situation for a large percentage of many black Americans, it's not we are talking about a tiny minority, anyone who is being honest with themselves knows this. Most black people don't live somewhere like Colorado, or Oregon, or northern California, they live in urbanized areas in the east, especially in the south, and reside in mostly or all black areas, those are simply facts.

Would I want to be segregated or be torn apart from the white members of my family? No, not really, but for a huge swath of the black community there are some obvious pluses to being black in 1960 compared to 2015, especially the people are already self-segregate and make it clear that they don't like white people all that much to begin with, but have no job in 2015 where they would have had a decent one in 1960, didn't fear gang members, and had a stable home/community. Of course this doesn't apply to the black Americans who are middle class and have a decent job and a college degree, of course they benefit more from living in 2015, but those black people are only a minority. I don't see what's wrong with being open to examining both sides of the coin.
No. Just no. No. No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 01:09 PM

513 posts, read 289,593 times
Yep, I was born in '91 but I will agree that the 50's were the good days.

Ah, back then, the entertainment media had more class. If it was 40 years ago, 99% of modern entertainment would have the producers and creators thrown in jail (a la shock value like Family Guy).

Old 09-03-2016, 12:49 AM

247 posts, read 128,845 times
Speaking as a woman I believe that present day is significantly better than decades before.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:54 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times
People tend to romanticize the past because it's easy to pick out the good and you don't have to live in the day-to-day to see the bad. Things were better economically (outside of the upper tier) in the mid-20th century mainly because we survived WW2 unscathed while other "developed" countries were rebuilding their infrastructure and economies. It was a relatively short window that won't be repeated, especially in the age of globalization.
We're more enlightened now, better access to information and technology, people have more rights than in the past, we have better access to goods, and we have the ability to see the world outside of where we live. I wouldn't want to live in any other time.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:46 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Alot of comments about black people being so much better off. I am really skeptical.

No kids shooting each other over a pair of Air Jordans, no guys standing on a corner selling baggies, people took pride in actually speaking English (as opposed to "ya boi dat n*gga b a uncle tom"), the vast majority of black people grew up in a two parent household (today it is in the inverse, about 80% of kids born out of wedlock), people dressing respectably instead of pants around their knees, education was valued instead of being the mark of "selling out" or "acting white", jazz instead of gangsta rap, the list goes on.

Most blacks self segregate now anyways.

What also makes me skeptical to begin with is that many elderly black people who have actually seen both worlds don't seem to think things are all that better now, but just different. I think we are taught to think that segregation was a lot worse than it actually was and we learn about how horrible white people used to be (as opposed to modern white people who have "seen the light"). Maybe we have a subconscious need to believe things are better now.
I have to agree. And it isn't only blacks. I don't know why the focus is always only on the plight of blacks instead of other minorities, even whites faced racism.

The difference between life then and now is laziness, lack of morals, and drugs. There was never the type of dealers and crime that we have currently. I'm against the legalization of pot because I see what it is doing to neighborhoods. All the drugs are tied to the worst types of people. It's sad that we are starting to have generations that won't know what it is like to not have security precautions (guards, metal detectors, etc.) as a normal part of life.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:49 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,829,566 times
Life was better pre-2001. America has sucked since 9/11.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,572,099 times
Your idealized 50s never happened. Setting aside how horrible that era was for minorities and women, you need to understand that it wasn't really better for white men than our current era.

The reeason a man could support a family of 5 on a single income is because people were totally okay with raising three kids in a 2br/1ba bungalow or tenement apartment. The oldest kid got two pairs of pants, and one pair of shoes per year, and they were handed down until they were worn out, at which point they were mended with patches. They drank powdered milk and ate TV dinners. No cable, Internet or cell phones. Middle class by the standards of that era, but poverty by current standards. You can duplicate that standard of living today, if you like.

They lived under the specter of Cold War paranoia. People build bomb shelters and schools had air raid drills. Health outcomes were significantly worse, across the board.

The only one can believe that the 50's was better for straight white men than modern times, is if you view inequality as the most important metric.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:22 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,533,669 times
With the exception of the way minorities were treated, I think the 1950's were definitely better.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:23 AM

17,258 posts, read 19,555,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
With the exception of the way minorities were treated, I think the 1950's were definitely better.
Most people in the world, by the way, have non-white skin pigmentation. Plus, women are the majority sex.

So, that kind of matters.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:56 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,572,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The 50s weren't better for white men in the 50's. The disparities were greater. There's a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.