U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:02 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,869,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
What I don't understand is with all the advances in health care, why is obesity such a problem now?

Looking at family photos from the 1950's, rarely did I saw an overweight or obese relative. Some of these were poor mountain people too.

Now there are an obesity epidemic in this country.

The foods we eat are entirely different now. When my grandma was cooking for her family, they were lucky to get a piece of meat or other form of protein, a vegetable and a starch. Dessert was limited to a few times a year for birthdays or holidays. Fried food was unheard of. And after dinner, if it was still light outside, they were outside playing. Today, kids eat McDonalds and then play Call of Duty until they go to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:21 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,771,213 times
as my mother said "whoever wants to live in the good ole days, never lived in the good ole days".

as a woman, give me today...hands down.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
as my mother said "whoever wants to live in the good ole days, never lived in the good ole days".

as a woman, give me today...hands down.
And I did come of age as a woman in the 60s. However, I saw first hand what my Mom's life was like back then, even into the 70s, as opposed to what my daughter, born in 1984, has going to her.

NOW, if you are female.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,324,812 times
It completely depends who and where

Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,963,866 times
-The 50s and 60s are played out to be so innocent while the minorities suffered.
-All the technology now is a bit ridiculous (my mom believe it's making people socially inept).
Therefore I choose the underrated decade, the 90s.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,119,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Back to the thread.....

Some memories still linger from the 60's..

Sharing bedrooms..
Rarely going out to restaurants, emphasis upon "rarely"..
The station wagon as the family car...
Largely stay-at -home mothers..
Hand-me down clothing, if appropriate..
To save some money, drinking "powdered milk"
Families with 5-6-7 children..
Parents with VERY similar theories of raising children..
Hearing the warning "Wait until your father comes home"!
Eating at the same time every night...

And many more...
Sounds just like my childhood. By the way I found powdered milk tasted very nasty! However I preferred the 50s. Blue collar Joe and his family was able to live in safe affordable walkable city neighborhoods with access to decent public transit. Ethnic European areas were plentiful back then and there was a sense of family and community.Shooters, thugs, gangstas and their crime and drugs were simply not tolerated.Today those places are getting scarce. Today, it now almost mandatory that both the husband and wife have college degrees just to survive. In order to live in a safe area , you have to have a car to go anywhere and that cost a big chunk of money. However I much prefer the styles and the many genres of music you have today. The men and women(especially over 30) are so much more atractive today than back then. After a certain age everyone looked soo old! So, IMHO both eras have their ups and downs.

Last edited by otters21; 01-07-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:07 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,958,846 times
I would prefer the 80s up until the early 2000s. It seems like the overall quality of life has declined in many parts of the country over the past several years. For women and minorities the quality of life is much better compared to the 50s or 60s, but we still have some obvious room for improvement. The 90s sure does seem better now that many consider the 2000s to be the "lost decade."

Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,080,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Good for you. I can't attend college at Spelman or Morehouse in Atlanta simply for the fact that I'm white. Is that progress? I'm not some self-pitying, right wing, Rush Limbaugh fanatic who thinks white people are oppressed, but I do think it's a fair observation. As long as there are Black-only and women-only colleges, then real equality will never be achieved.
White people are allowed and do attended black colleges.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM

475 posts, read 1,096,518 times
Yes, a lot of things were kept in the dark in those days. I just saw an overall prosperity that I don't see these days. People rarely lost their jobs unless they messed up big time. I know that it was the best time to be a white male. Others such as minorities and women had it a lot harder. There certainly wasn't a lot of media coverage in those days either. I worshipped John Kennedy and Jackie. Later I found out he was a big womanizer who cheated on her, and she had a 3-4 pack a day cigarette habit. These things were kept from the public's eye.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:08 PM

449 posts, read 1,480,045 times
I am glad about all the medical advances and the improvements for minorities. My family was probably below middle class somewhere - I think people in general were happier then. Maybe because there was less technology available, it just seems there was less emphasis on "stuff". When there's only 1 tv or phone and parents always had dibs, we were outside more often or took turns watching our tv shows at each others houses. Heck, we liked being out of the house. Jeans were from the old army/navy stores, cheap canvas sneakers were the norm. Buying by label was absurd (but the big push for advertising to teens hadn't begun yet). It just seemed most of my friends and family were happy with what they did have. Sure, we would have like the best record collection or our own phone but we didn't feel deprived if we didn't have it. I think that's the biggest difference. Our families had varying incomes but we all felt we were on the same ground and knew if we wanted our own clothes etc we had to get jobs or wait for birthdays/holidays to get things. Even with other age relatives, though I'd bet the older ones thought we were spoiled in comparison to them - they had turned their whole paychecks into the family pot, we got to keep ours.

Now, things are changing so much faster that you're almost behind when you first buy a new cell phone, computer or tv. I don't know if its heavier advertising now (in comparison) but a lot of the younger people I work with seem to feel its their "due" to have all the latest and greatest - then complain they don't have enough for the everyday things. They're almost resentful, thinking its "not fair" they have less than other people. A lot more individual oriented than our "we're in the same boat"
kind of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.