U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
While I agree with you to some extent, I don't completely. You can find that in places like Atlanta or Central and South Florida.
I agree that you can find large numbers of transplants in Atlanta and South Florida, but you'll still find a majority of locals or at least residents from within the state/the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,287 times
Because they live in California and New York, and have "never been South of Queens."

Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,892,919 times
Transplants

Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM

964 posts, read 2,045,759 times
It ain't dying. It's evolving. The boomtowns - Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Northern Virginia definitely, plus Florida south of I-4 - have definitely assimilated a ton of outside influence: I know Asians (born here) with North Carolina accents, for example. Different story away from the cities, but it's still evolving - media, and especially the internet have had just as much of an effect in the South as they have anywhere else. And if parts of the South become genuinely cosmopolitan - that doesn't mean they've lost their roots - I love Richmond, and have hung out there on many occasions, and I can say three things about Richmond: it's very Southern (you'll hear a fine Chesapeake/Tidewater drawl on occasion), it's very cosmopolitan, and it's very cool.

There once was a band, called Pylon, from Athens, Georgia - the same town that spawned (at about the same time) The B52s, REM, The Method Actors, Love Tractor, Widespread Panic, Bar-B-Que Killers, Guadalcanal Diary, 86, The Indigo Girls and a few hundred other groups (and later on Neutral Milk Hotel, Elf Power, Of Montreal, and more). Pylon specialized in this wildly discombobulated, angular, danceable post-punk music, swirling with odd sounds and noises, but with a cool undulating groove, kinda like a mixture of Gang of Four (from northern UK), Talking Heads (from NYC), and Mission of Burma (from Boston), save for one notable unique quality - a frontwoman (Vanessa Briscoe) originally from south Georgia, who did not hide her drawl. Singing like some crazy mix of Janis Joplin and Iggy Pop, with a twang. This was Southern rock, but not like any Southern rock ever before. And they if they were one of the hippest bands from the South, they were also one of the most explicit displays of how what "Southern" means is an ever-changing thing.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM

17,223 posts, read 19,525,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
It ain't dying. It's evolving. The boomtowns - Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Northern Virginia definitely, plus Florida south of I-4 - have definitely assimilated a ton of outside influence: I know Asians (born here) with North Carolina accents, for example. Different story away from the cities, but it's still evolving - media, and especially the internet have had just as much of an effect in the South as they have anywhere else. And if parts of the South become genuinely cosmopolitan - that doesn't mean they've lost their roots - I love Richmond, and have hung out there on many occasions, and I can say three things about Richmond: it's very Southern (you'll hear a fine Chesapeake/Tidewater drawl on occasion), it's very cosmopolitan, and it's very cool.
If northern Virginia is an example of how southern culture is "evolving" then I don't know how that's any different than dying.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:11 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post

There once was a band, called Pylon, from Athens, Georgia - the same town that spawned (at about the same time) The B52s, REM, The Method Actors, Love Tractor, Widespread Panic, Bar-B-Que Killers, Guadalcanal Diary, 86, The Indigo Girls and a few hundred other groups (and later on Neutral Milk Hotel, Elf Power, Of Montreal, and more). Pylon specialized in this wildly discombobulated, angular, danceable post-punk music, swirling with odd sounds and noises, but with a cool undulating groove, kinda like a mixture of Gang of Four (from northern UK), Talking Heads (from NYC), and Mission of Burma (from Boston), save for one notable unique quality - a frontwoman (Vanessa Briscoe) originally from south Georgia, who did not hide her drawl. Singing like some crazy mix of Janis Joplin and Iggy Pop, with a twang. This was Southern rock, but not like any Southern rock ever before. And they if they were one of the hippest bands from the South, they were also one of the most explicit displays of how what "Southern" means is an ever-changing thing.
Deerhunter's from GA.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:48 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
Raleigh is one example of an area that isn't stereotypically southern. We don't really have a "redneck image" and accents are pretty neutral, unlike the heavy drawls you'll encounter in rural NC (you'll hear more of these in towns just outside Raleigh like Creedmoor, Louisburg, and Smithfield). In part, this is due to all the transplant families as Raleigh has attracted transplants since the 1960's. If anything, I'd say we're more "suburban southern." We're not really redneck-ish/"Dixie Pride" southern, but we're still nothing like Northeastern metros (even with all the transplants). There is a difference in "southern" between rural and urban areas. It's not necessarily dying in the major metros, it's just not what you'd expect if you're not from the South. Still, plenty of folks in Raleigh have strong ties to Eastern NC, which might as well be Deep South.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:08 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
I don't think Southern culture is dying. If anything, it seems to have proliferated in the last 20 years. Many rural and blue-collar white areas in the North and West have started flying Confederate flags and adopting "redneck" as a term of endearment. Country music is more popular than ever too. Hell, Kenny Chesney does concert tours virtually every year, and he always ends his tours with a two-night set in Foxboro, MA.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:02 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
Well in NJ I have known people that fly the confederate flags, only listen to country music, work on their trucks, go hunting, and fishing and other things that are considered "southern" so one could argue southern culture has also spread to new places.
Goodness, I guess I need to get out more. I thought everybody worked on their trucks and listened to Hank when they were not hunting or fishing.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM

2,231 posts, read 1,686,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Most people consider Memphis to be a very Southern city, but all of my friends from small towns in TN say that Memphis is the least Southern place in TN. I really don't feel like Memphis is that Southern either. It's all relative.
I don't know how anybody could feel like Memphis isn't Southern when it's basically an extension of the Mississippi delta, which is arguably the most Southern place in America. Sometimes I think Memphis is TOO Southern for the rest of Tennessee, as quickly as Nashville and all the other major cities across Tennessee are growing and getting transplants from up north and out west, and the way they shun Memphis and treat it like it's a part of Mississippi rather than Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.