U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2010, 04:00 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,093,051 times
Reputation: 15343

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
I would visit New York City over Disney World in Orlando any day. Disney does not have anything that interests me.
Same here, for the same reason that I prefer diamonds over cubic zirconia.

 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,345 posts, read 3,771,090 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^I think some on C-D probably would, lol. There are a lot of NY haters on here for some reason.
I've never really noticed that. Most people on here don't dislike NYC at all. I think most just don't like a lot of the NY posters on here. Personally, I love the city. However, many of the NYers on here are extremely annoying.(not pointing out you) Also, many on here might not want to live in NYC, but that doesn't mean they don't want to visit. And just because they don't want to live there doesn't make them a "hater".

Even though NYC is one of my favorite cities, I'm not sure it would be my top choice. Mainly because I live in DC. So if I'm looking at a big vacation, I wouldn't pick it since it's only a few hours away and can be done for pretty cheap at any time. DC and NYC are also very similar being large, dense, east coast cities. So for a vacation I'd probably pick somewhere warmer like SoCal or SF over another East Coast city. However, even though I'd rather visit somewhere like a West Coast city, I probably still visit places like NYC more due to convenience. I just don't consider it a big vacation since I can do it spur of the moment and go for just a day or two. Not sure if that makes sense the way I put it.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I've never really noticed that. Most people on here don't dislike NYC at all. I think most just don't like a lot of the NY posters on here. Personally, I love the city. However, many of the NYers on here are extremely annoying.(not pointing out you) Also, many on here might not want to live in NYC, but that doesn't mean they don't want to visit. And just because they don't want to live there doesn't make them a "hater".

Even though NYC is one of my favorite cities, I'm not sure it would be my top choice. Mainly because I live in DC. So if I'm looking at a big vacation, I wouldn't pick it since it's only a few hours away and can be done for pretty cheap at any time. DC and NYC are also very similar being large, dense, east coast cities. So for a vacation I'd probably pick somewhere warmer like SoCal or SF over another East Coast city. However, even though I'd rather visit somewhere like a West Coast city, I probably still visit places like NYC more due to convenience. I just don't consider it a big vacation since I can do it spur of the moment and go for just a day or two. Not sure if that makes sense the way I put it.

I understand...I've gotten so many personal attacks from people who also diss NY. I really don't care if someone says they don't want to live here, but if they say the reasons are because crime is really high, the city is filthy, there's nothing to do, etc it's all not true about the city. It's when they say that then I need to point out that what they said isn't true.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I don't follow currency much but wasn't that only for about half the year?
I understand it would still help in having them travel but just curious.

The dollar isn't worth very much compared to the euro, the pound, and other currencies in the world.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,760 posts, read 8,321,072 times
Reputation: 5807
There are many more people within a short drive to NYC than there are to Disney.
I wonder if this is a reason.
My wife and I live in Boston and we make the 4 hour trip once every other year just to hang out and have fun.
Disney is a once every 10 to twenty years trip. It is also a trip that you have to set aside at least a week for.
NYC is a weekender. I'm really not surprised because NYC takes a lot less planning and a lot less time.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
There are many more people within a short drive to NYC than there are to Disney.
I wonder if this is a reason.
My wife and I live in Boston and we make the 4 hour trip once every other year just to hang out and have fun.
Disney is a once every 10 to twenty years trip. It is also a trip that you have to set aside at least a week for.
NYC is a weekender. I'm really not surprised because NYC takes a lot less planning and a lot less time.

But there are also people who make Disney a quick trip that doesn't take much planning. There are tons of people who are probably also a few hour drive from there. I think NYC takes a lot more planning and more time. Exploring a city takes a lot more time to plan than going to an amusement park.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 AM
 
10,630 posts, read 23,432,789 times
Reputation: 6703
There are people on here who like to criticize EVERY city. Some of the NY-based posters are among the worst, ironically enough; something about the forum brings out their competitive side. So some people don't like NYC, to live or to visit. Who cares? Some people don't like Orlando.

I would agree that NYC takes less planning for more people. Far more people live within easy weekend distance of NYC, and if you're thinking of it as a long weekend that you can easily repeat (as opposed to a trek to Florida and the high cost of tickets and the pressure to get your money's worth) then you just book a hotel, show up, then hit the street. For those who live longer distances and are going to NYC as a once-in-a-decade trip then yes, it probably takes more timing to visit NYC than just buying a package deal and showing up in Orlando. But in general at least for NYC you only have to worry about transportation and lodging in advance, with no admissions tickets. Just walk out the door and there's something to see, and all for the price of a hotel room.
 
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM
 
631 posts, read 1,078,003 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I wonder how some people on C-D think that no one wants to visit dirty NY?

NYC Named Top Tourist Destination - WPIX

You are overly obsessed with NYC
 
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
 
631 posts, read 1,078,003 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^I think some on C-D probably would, lol. There are a lot of NY haters on here for some reason.

Yes disney is old once you reach about 11 the only thing I like about visiting Orlando is the shopping and Wet and Wild you never get to old for a water park. Its the NYC poster that make people hate NYC or dont wanna visit and Racheal is one of them. They try and make every other city look bad but theres. In there eyes there are number 1 in every category no one can top NYC in nothing. I even had some one fussing with me that NYC was cheaper than living in the south..

Last edited by RudeBoy21; 01-07-2010 at 10:41 AM..
 
Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,162,484 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
There are people on here who like to criticize EVERY city. Some of the NY-based posters are among the worst, ironically enough; something about the forum brings out their competitive side. So some people don't like NYC, to live or to visit. Who cares? Some people don't like Orlando.

I would agree that NYC takes less planning for more people. Far more people live within easy weekend distance of NYC, and if you're thinking of it as a long weekend that you can easily repeat (as opposed to a trek to Florida and the high cost of tickets and the pressure to get your money's worth) then you just book a hotel, show up, then hit the street. For those who live longer distances and are going to NYC as a once-in-a-decade trip then yes, it probably takes more timing to visit NYC than just buying a package deal and showing up in Orlando. But in general at least for NYC you only have to worry about transportation and lodging in advance, with no admissions tickets. Just walk out the door and there's something to see, and all for the price of a hotel room.
This is spot-on, imo, as is Mr. Joshua's post.

There are millions upon millions of people that can venture to New York in less than a day. I think the visitor numbers absolutely reflect that, along with last years exchange rates that really favored the European currencies. For much of Western Europe, a flight to JFK or Newark is +/- a 5 hour flight - no big deal to well traveled types.

Another thing to consider is that Orlando, Vegas - even Atlanta - have more hotel rooms than New York does. Again, tangible proof that many New York visitors are day trippers.

Atlanta is usually in the top 5 for most visited cities. Last year we attracted 35.4 million, dropping from 37 million the previous year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top