U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
And you hate the south so I guess your a southern Hater!! and Yes disney is old once you reach about 11 the only thing I like about visiting Orlando is the shopping and Wet and Wild you never get toold for a water park

I actually went to Orlando every year during my teen years to see the Braves in spring training. I actually just went a couple years ago again, and plan to again sometime in the near future. If you compete in sports or like to watch spring training, there are a lot of adults who go to the Wide world of sports.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM

631 posts, read 1,077,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I actually went to Orlando every year during my teen years to see the Braves in spring training. I actually just went a couple years ago again, and plan to again sometime in the near future. If you compete in sports or like to watch spring training, there are a lot of adults who go to the Wide world of sports.

I know that because your dad took a job or something in South Florida because he lost his job in grand ole NYC right?? and you said he hates it and cant wait to get back to NYC... even though you go to the South I have watched you talk very dirty about the South and the minute someone talks about long island and other parts you get defensive too. SO IT GOES BOTH WAYS

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM

15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I understand...I've gotten so many personal attacks from people who also diss NY. I really don't care if someone says they don't want to live here, but if they say the reasons are because crime is really high, the city is filthy, there's nothing to do, etc it's all not true about the city. It's when they say that then I need to point out that what they said isn't true.
Sorry but NYC is pretty damn dirty. For a city it's size and for how dense it is I guess it's to be expected and could be worse, but it's definitely one of the dirtiest cities in America. I can see people not wanting to live there for that reason but I would imagine those types of people probably don't like dense cities anyways since all dense cities have some grime and filth to them to a certain extent.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:24 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
^ that's almost inevitable though with a lack of alleys to provide efficient "cover" and pickup of garbage. The city does the best it can - either love it or hate it...it is what it is.

I personally love New York. I notice right away the huge cleanliness factor between NYC and Chicago, but hell, it's 3X as big and didn't get the most effective infrastructure. I just choose to accept it as being part of NYC and move on. It's obviously not THAT dirty anyway. I only noticed piles and piles of garbage on busy streets late at night for the overnight pickup, or during snowstorms. Most times I've been in the city it's been no problem at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ that's almost inevitable though with a lack of alleys to provide efficient "cover" and pickup of garbage. The city does the best it can - either love it or hate it...it is what it is.

I personally love New York. I notice right away the huge cleanliness factor between NYC and Chicago, but hell, it's 3X as big and didn't get the most effective infrastructure. I just choose to accept it as being part of NYC and move on. It's obviously not THAT dirty anyway. I only noticed piles and piles of garbage on busy streets late at night for the overnight pickup, or during snowstorms. Most times I've been in the city it's been no problem at all.

Parts of the city are extremely dirty, like sections of the south Bronx. On my way to work I sometimes had to stare at the ground so I could avoid stepping on the rotten food all over the sidewalk.

But generally it's MUCH cleaner than back in the 80s/early 90s from when I remember it as a kid.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,408,176 times
NYC (even in the upscale parts) is obviously quite dirty when compared to Disneyworld. Maybe not Orlando as a whole (haven't been there), but we're comparing apples to oranges here if we bring in the theme parks. Theme parks are highly managed private spaces; people visit them in part to escape "real" life. People usually visit cities for the opposite reason.

I don't think of NYC as an extremely dirty cities as far as cities go, but it's certainly a lot dirtier than than the average theme park.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
NYC (even in the upscale parts) is obviously quite dirty when compared to Disneyworld. Maybe not Orlando as a whole (haven't been there), but we're comparing apples to oranges here if we bring in the theme parks. Theme parks are highly managed private spaces; people visit them in part to escape "real" life. People usually visit cities for the opposite reason.

I don't think of NYC as an extremely dirty cities as far as cities go, but it's certainly a lot dirtier than than the average theme park.

You can't compare a tiny amusement park to a big city of 8.2 million when it comes to cleanliness.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:15 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times
I love me some Disney.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:17 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
I don't know why people try to compare the two at all.

I have a few things I'd like to see in NYC but have no desire to live there or constantly visit.

It ain't all that.

That being said, I live in Orlando and don't frequent the tourist section at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I don't know why people try to compare the two at all.

I have a few things I'd like to see in NYC but have no desire to live there or constantly visit.

It ain't all that.

That being said, I live in Orlando and don't frequent the tourist section at all.

There's other tourist destinations we can compare with, that are usually on the top 5. A lot of people just chose to compare it to Orlando on this thread. I think the comparison is getting boring. We should compare some of the other popular tourist destiations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.