U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,085,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Wilmington is nice, but it is a bit isolated from anywhere but Raliegh/Duram. I'd pick Charleston.
Wilmington is 148 mi from Charleston, 134 from Durham.
Charleston is 98 from Savannah, 103 from Columbia.
Not a huge amount of difference IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM

631 posts, read 1,395,513 times
Here's my picks:
Jacksonville
NYC
Boston
Portland, Maine
Atlantic City

Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM

56,728 posts, read 81,038,544 times
I'd say Virginia Beach due to having a low crime rate, is the largest city in VA now and is right on the ocean/beach. It's in a growing area as well.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
For those who said NYC or Boston, IMHO the suburbs of said cities will have a higher quality of life, at least for most people anyway. Especially if they have kids and want a good public school system.

Of the NY suburbs, Long Island is right on the Atlantic while the northern counties of Westchester & Fairfield only touch the LI Sound. However, Westchester/Fairfield have generally nicer less dense communities for the most part. Alot depends on which community you live in, some parts of Long Island are just as sweet if you have the money.

Boston suburbs are often less crowded and dense than NYC, so for MOST* people they have a higher quality of life. The towns are pretty nice and historic too. On the other hand, a larger part of the Boston area looks further from the ocean than the NYC area. I love the Cape Ann area, although I believe the water is colder up there.

* In the real world, not city-data, lol.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 9,919,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say Virginia Beach due to having a low crime rate, is the largest city in VA now and is right on the ocean/beach. It's in a growing area as well.
I also think the Virginia Beach area would be a good pick. I also like the Carolina coast, both North & South. Charleston is a gem. In fact, pretty much all of the communities that people mentioned above would be good for me.

I do not think anyone mentioned Palm Beach County, which would be nice if you have the money.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,796,341 times
Virginia Beach Jacksonville Svannah Or Miami

Old 01-08-2010, 05:48 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,228,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I also think the Virginia Beach area would be a good pick. I also like the Carolina coast, both North & South. Charleston is a gem. In fact, pretty much all of the communities that people mentioned above would be good for me.

I do not think anyone mentioned Palm Beach County, which would be nice if you have the money.
Really only if you have the money. Honestly, there seems to be no middle class in Palm Beach County. Basically, every city, town, or neighborhood that's not hugging some big body of water is lower-middle class. You have the rich people on their private ocean or intercoastal islands with their million dollar homes and giant yachts which is nice, but mostly everything else is just depressing. The income disparity their is just depressing.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,759,027 times
For smaller cities:

Ft Lauderdale, Savannah, Charleston and Wilmington

For larger cities:

Boston, DC, Baltimore

Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,845,592 times
I'm obviously biased but I think Virginia Beach/Norfolk is your best bet.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 PM

648 posts, read 1,418,264 times
Miami has a horrible quality of life for a family. Florida schools are bad. I love Miami, it is my place, but I will say the family quality of life for Miami is not good. I think it is Boston for overall good place to have a family because it has good schools, the people of Boston seem educated, and it has much to do. It is a very well balanced city. I only have a problem with how politically correct it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.