U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times

Advertisements

Its a shame that IL is pretty much only known for Chicago. There are MANY great areas of the state (a few of which I provided links for above), especially mid-state, NW corner, southern IL and along the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers... beautiful!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,299,643 times
While the great plains and midwest can both be called "heartland" they ARE distinct regions! Colorado has never been a mid-western state and is not one by any stretch! I am sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine, as a geographer. There are regions that overlap (colorado is a plains state and a intermountain west state and rocky mountain state) but its not like everything that is not on the coast is the "mid-west"!!

Sorry for the rant, but its a real stretch to suggest that from Colorado to Ohio, your in the same basic region.

Anyway, I think my favorite mid-west state has to be Illinois, as its home (and lots to see and do and I do think its a beautiful state)...but second would probably be Michigan for its natural areas and beaches (they have much better beaches and dunes on the east side of lake michigan!)

Wiscosin is great for festivals and food and also nature....minnesota has duluth...another favorite. There is tons to see and do in the midwest....I always have a weekend trip planned!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:31 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
I have always appreciated Missouri also for its diversity in landscape. Driving on I-55 and I-44 through Missouri is a real treat! You encounter the Ozark foothills on I-44, and with I-55 you actually get the typical Midwest scenery mixed in with these huge mountains/river bluffs along I-55...barns with cornfields and rolling hills, which occasionally the cliffs will open up for you to see...stuck in between these large cliffs which basically make up the river bluffs in both Missouri and Illinois as you wind south towards the Ohio flows into the Mississippi. The Ozark region of Missouri is very heavily forested. Northern half of Missouri is gentle rolling plains with fewer trees and more cornfields and barns. Alton, Illinois actually looks VERY interesting landscape-wise...you see remains of the Illinoisan Glacier that used to block the Mississippi from flowing...just these enormous cliffs which houses sit atop of. The drive along Illinois 100 northwest between where the Mississippi and Missouri meet and where the Illinois and the Mississippi meet is very scenic. Illinois 100 parallels the path of the Mississippi...it's essentially like sailing on the river except you're in a car...on a road paralleling it lol. A must-see!

Last edited by ajf131; 05-23-2007 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 04:32 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Post Favorite Midwest States

My favorite Midwest states are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I like the fact that all three of these states have great natural areas, lakes, and national forest areas. I also like the fact that their are many natural oligotrophic lakes in the Upper Midwest unlike areas further to the south that mostly have reservoirs. For example, Missouri has mostly reservoirs which include Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, and Truman.
In Minnesota I like Lake Mille Lacs, the boundary waters, and Duluth right near Lake Superior. In Wisconsin I like the southwestern part of the state in the "driftless" area near La Crosse. Also, I really like the northwoods vegetation and friendly folks in northern Wisconsin in Vilas and Oneida counties. TONS of towns on lakes surrounded by woods. Door County in Wisconsin is also nice with many locally owned businsess and restaurants.
In Michigan I like all of the outdoor activities avilable, the Upper Peninsula, the great views across the Great Lakes, and many rural areas to explore away from the cities.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
My favorite Midwest states are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. I like the fact that all three of these states have great natural areas, lakes, and national forest areas. I also like the fact that their are many natural oligotrophic lakes in the Upper Midwest unlike areas further to the south that mostly have reservoirs. For example, Missouri has mostly reservoirs which include Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, and Truman.
In Minnesota I like Lake Mille Lacs, the boundary waters, and Duluth right near Lake Superior. In Wisconsin I like the southwestern part of the state in the "driftless" area near La Crosse. Also, I really like the northwoods vegetation and friendly folks in northern Wisconsin in Vilas and Oneida counties. TONS of towns on lakes surrounded by woods. Door County in Wisconsin is also nice with many locally owned businsess and restaurants.
In Michigan I like all of the outdoor activities avilable, the Upper Peninsula, the great views across the Great Lakes, and many rural areas to explore away from the cities.

I haven't spent enough time in the Upper Midwest. I drove through the western half of Minnesota east to Albert Lea on Interstate 90. Minnesota is very scenic, especially driving south on I-35 from Albert Lea. it's very distinguished from the other Midwestern states, as is Iowa. Every Midwestern state looks very distinguished from others I think. Iowa honestly seems to be a combo of Minnesota and Missouri. Most of Iowa from what I've noticed is very very green with cornfields but is also very hilly like Missouri, iowa may be even hillier than Missouri, even if it's not cliffy. iowa seemed to have the lush greenness of Wisconsin as well.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:10 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Post Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I haven't spent enough time in the Upper Midwest. I drove through the western half of Minnesota east to Albert Lea on Interstate 90. Minnesota is very scenic, especially driving south on I-35 from Albert Lea. it's very distinguished from the other Midwestern states, as is Iowa. Every Midwestern state looks very distinguished from others I think. Iowa honestly seems to be a combo of Minnesota and Missouri. Most of Iowa from what I've noticed is very very green with cornfields but is also very hilly like Missouri, iowa may be even hillier than Missouri, even if it's not cliffy. iowa seemed to have the lush greenness of Wisconsin as well.
I really like the Upper Midwest because it has so many interesting natural oligotrophic lakes. I really like the northwoods of Wisconsin because of the amazing number of clear lakes and great rivers for fishing. Be aware of the high number of tourists that visit the area in the summer that come mainly from Milwaukee/Chicago area.
Here is some info on Vilas County Wisconsin: http://www.vilas.org/
The Midwest is also generally greener than the Great Plains because the average annual precipitation is usually higher. Also, the Midwest tends to have lower temperatures during the summer because the humidity levels are higher than those found in the Great Plains, and areas along and west of 100W Longitude.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its a shame that IL is pretty much only known for Chicago. There are MANY great areas of the state (a few of which I provided links for above), especially mid-state, NW corner, southern IL and along the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers... beautiful!
It is also an often-forgotten fact that Springfield, Illinois is one of America's favorite vacation spots at least from what I was told. Sangchris Lake looks beautiful and I guess just the whole getting to see Lincoln's stuff as a treat in its own. Being from St. Louis, which is very close to Springfield, i make many trips up there for vacations whenever I can. Just a mere hour and 10 minute trip to the north! more like a field trip than vacation for me anyway. Also, is it just me, or does every Midwestern state east of the Mississippi River besides Indiana, which has 70 mph, have a speed limit of 65 mph? Never understood why 70 mph is too fast for anyone....hehe. I like the Midwestern states with the higher speed limits cause I wanna go fast

Old 05-23-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I really like the Upper Midwest because it has so many interesting natural oligotrophic lakes. I really like the northwoods of Wisconsin because of the amazing number of clear lakes and great rivers for fishing. Be aware of the high number of tourists that visit the area in the summer that come mainly from Milwaukee/Chicago area.
Here is some info on Vilas County Wisconsin: http://www.vilas.org/
The Midwest is also generally greener than the Great Plains because the average annual precipitation is usually higher. Also, the Midwest tends to have lower temperatures during the summer because the humidity levels are higher than those found in the Great Plains, and areas along and west of 100W Longitude.
Thanks a bunch Plains10 I'll have to look into taking a vacation there. The Upper Midwest will become even more accessible to me should they finally decide to upgrade the Avenue of the Saints (Saint Paul to St. Louis) to interstate standards. It's pretty fast already, but I'm assuming you're from Kansas City or somewhere near there so you're lucky to have i-35 to take you right there. i'm stuck with having to either use the Avenue of the Saints which takes longer or spend money on the Northwestern Illinois Tollways into Wisconsin which frankly as a college student I don't prefer to do. The Avenue of the Saints is a Midwestern corridor that i believe should have been incorporated into the Interstate highway system in the first place...it's pretty decent as it is and mostly four lane...you encounter traffic lights in Hannibal and it's still not up to grade in far Northeastern Missouri. Maybe one of these days central Minnesota will have direct easy connections to both Eastern and Western Missouri. Also, it's my understanding that Interstate 72 is being extended from Hannibal to St. Joseph, so maybe getting across Missouri will be easier. Interstate 70 between St. Louis and Kansas City would get relief and you'd be able to have an easier connection to Chicago as well as be able to get to Indianapolis with the option of bypassing St. Louis. Illinois frankly was brilliant in designing their interstate highway system. Chicagoans can either pass through St. Louis on I-55 on their way to Memphis or avoid it all together by using I-57 which is quicker. I always wondered why Kansas City had only one east-west route going in and out of it. St. Louis has three: I-64 and I-70 head northwest where I-64 ends at I-70, I-44 heads southwest, to the east I-70 runs northeast, I-64 runs southeast. It really is nice having two of everything. Makes travel very convenient. Anyway, back to the topic folks...favorite Midwestern state of the 8 listed in the first post and why it's your favorite!

Last edited by ajf131; 05-23-2007 at 06:04 PM..

Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,046,541 times
Quote:
I also like the fact that their are many natural oligotrophic lakes in the Upper Midwest unlike areas further to the south that mostly have reservoirs. For example, Missouri has mostly reservoirs which include Lake of the Ozarks, Table Rock, and Truman.
Native Missourian Calvin Trillin wrote that until he moved away from MO, he assumed that all lakes were created by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:24 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times
Where's Kentucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or