U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 07:10 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Where's Kentucky?
Last time I checked Kentucky was the South
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 07:11 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
That's not a fact.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
That's not a fact.
If you want to include it go ahead. THe U.S. Census bureau, it's residents, it's culture, and the dialect throughout most of the state certainly seem to show it to be that way. but I guess include it if you want. It has some Midwestern characteristics I guess, but none that overpower its Southern ones. Just ask the residents who live there. Kentucky certainly didn't seem to have much in common with the Midwest to me and I have been all over that state numerous times.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:21 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times
Quote:
If you want to include it go ahead. THe U.S. Census bureau, it's residents, it's culture, and the dialect throughout most of the state certainly seem to show it to be that way. but I guess include it if you want. I've been there numerous times, i certainly didn't see it as Midwestern nor would I imagine would most of its residents.
Oh, well it's neither here nor there with me. I just figured that since neither Kentucky's southern or midwestern affiliation is set in stone, those who considered it midwestern would get a chance to vote

Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, well it's neither here nor there with me. I just figured that since neither Kentucky's southern or midwestern affiliation is set in stone, those who considered it midwestern would get a chance to vote

Go ahead and vote. I'm not stopping you

Old 05-23-2007, 07:43 PM

353 posts, read 378,160 times
Quote:

Of course it is!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:46 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Oh for the love of mankind, can ONE SINGLE THREAD ON THIS GENERAL BOARD not turn into a southern thread? Please?

Old 05-23-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Oh for the love of mankind, can ONE SINGLE THREAD ON THIS GENERAL BOARD not turn into a southern thread? Please?
I second that Steve-O...stick to the main topic of this thread please people (in thread-starter) Thank you

Old 05-23-2007, 08:51 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Post Midwest

Quote:
Thanks a bunch Plains10 I'll have to look into taking a vacation there. The Upper Midwest will become even more accessible to me should they finally decide to upgrade the Avenue of the Saints (Saint Paul to St. Louis) to interstate standards. It's pretty fast already, but I'm assuming you're from Kansas City or somewhere near there so you're lucky to have i-35 to take you right there. i'm stuck with having to either use the Avenue of the Saints which takes longer or spend money on the Northwestern Illinois Tollways into Wisconsin which frankly as a college student I don't prefer to do. The Avenue of the Saints is a Midwestern corridor that i believe should have been incorporated into the Interstate highway system in the first place...it's pretty decent as it is and mostly four lane...you encounter traffic lights in Hannibal and it's still not up to grade in far Northeastern Missouri. Maybe one of these days central Minnesota will have direct easy connections to both Eastern and Western Missouri. Also, it's my understanding that Interstate 72 is being extended from Hannibal to St. Joseph, so maybe getting across Missouri will be easier. Interstate 70 between St. Louis and Kansas City would get relief and you'd be able to have an easier connection to Chicago as well as be able to get to Indianapolis with the option of bypassing St. Louis. Illinois frankly was brilliant in designing their interstate highway system. Chicagoans can either pass through St. Louis on I-55 on their way to Memphis or avoid it all together by using I-57 which is quicker. I always wondered why Kansas City had only one east-west route going in and out of it. St. Louis has three: I-64 and I-70 head northwest where I-64 ends at I-70, I-44 heads southwest, to the east I-70 runs northeast, I-64 runs southeast. It really is nice having two of everything. Makes travel very convenient. Anyway, back to the topic folks...favorite Midwestern state of the 8 listed in the first post and why it's your favorite!
Yes, I live near the KC metro. Interstate 35 is a very fast route to get to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Part of the reason is that everyone travels so quickly through the state of Iowa. In fact, it only took 7-8 hours to get from northern Missouri to south-central Minnesota. I really dislike I-57 in Illinois because of the extreme lack of trees and pancake like flatness of the landscape. However, it is the cornbelt Lake Mille Lacs is a very popular spot for people who live in the Twin Cities and it is a great lake for ice fishing, water skiing, fishing, and camping in the summer. Vilas County is probably the area I like the best in Wisconsin along with Door County. I just do not understand the big draw in Missouri because nearly all the water bodies are reservoirs constructed by the army core of engineers. I prefer natural lakes, and that is why I usually tend to travel to the Upper Midwest much more often. The UP of Michigan also has great scenery and many skiing areas are open near the town of Ironwood in the winter. Tehquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Porcupine Mountains, and vast forest lands are what makes the area unique along with the great people who live there.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Yes, I live near the KC metro. Interstate 35 is a very fast route to get to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Part of the reason is that everyone travels so quickly through the state of Iowa. In fact, it only took 7-8 hours to get from northern Missouri to south-central Minnesota. I really dislike I-57 in Illinois because of the extreme lack of trees and pancake like flatness of the landscape. However, it is the cornbelt Lake Mille Lacs is a very popular spot for people who live in the Twin Cities and it is a great lake for ice fishing, water skiing, fishing, and camping in the summer. Vilas County is probably the area I like the best in Wisconsin along with Door County. I just do not understand the big draw in Missouri because nearly all the water bodies are reservoirs constructed by the army core of engineers. I prefer natural lakes, and that is why I usually tend to travel to the Upper Midwest much more often. The UP of Michigan also has great scenery and many skiing areas are open near the town of Ironwood in the winter. Tehquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Porcupine Mountains, and vast forest lands are what makes the area unique along with the great people who live there.

I suppose you've got a point there. I guess it sort of leads to me to wonder some stuff about Illinois. In the STL metro area off Interstates 55 and 70 (they merge together leaving downtown St. Louis and split about 20 miles northeast of downtown. Along mile 6 you encounter this lake called Horseshoe Lake....I'm not sure whether that lake is manmade or not. Certainly seems like it may have been a product of the Mississippi flooding or something? there are several brand new lakes around Alton where the Mississippi overflowed but i wouldn't consider those naturally made lakes...i guess....i dunno. I agree Missouri isn't the best state for lakes. Rivers however is a much different story We've got the two best in the U.S., Missouri and the Mississippi. I was actually going to ask about something...southeast of St. Louis on Interstate 64 and Highway 50 in Illinois west of Scott-Air Force base...there lies a lake that seems to be submerging a forest....I can't put my finger on it...I'll have to take another drive out there. Also, Is Sangchris Lake, (in Springfield, Illinois) manmade? It certainly reminded me of the Lake of the Ozarks looking at it. Indiana and Ohio other than the Great Lakes from what I gather are not great states for LAkes either unless you're on their Northern borders with the lakes....in any case....yea...Missouri...not the best state in the Midwest for lakes. Minnesota isn't called the state of 10,000 lakes for nothing Yea...KC has it lucky. The Avenue of the Saints normally has a speed limit of 60 going up there but the traffic lights add on another 20 minutes to the route and it's not always two lanes in each direction. So instead if I want to get to Minnesota the quickest way is to take I-55 North to Bloomington and then take I-39 North to where it merges with I-90 and I-94 and then ultimately wind up taking I-94 west to Minneapolis. it's a good 100 miles out of the way I think and I'm less than thrilled to have to encounter CHicago traffic on the way...St. Louis gets bad enough traffic. Chicago is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or